News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most Scenic Route

Started by Voyager, January 19, 2009, 10:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

VA 5 between Richmond and Williamsburg is quite scenic especially in Charles City County.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

florida

FL 17 through the spine is nice. US 98/319 in Franklin County. FL/CR 2 in the Panhandle.
So many roads...so little time.

dislocatedkid

US-61 along the Mississippi in Minnesota is pretty interesting.

xonhulu

I'm surprised no one's mentioned US 212 over the Beartooth Plateau in WY/MT.  Here's some scenery:

mightyace

I took CA 70 down the Feather River Canyon back in 2000.  Wow!  :wow:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

leifvanderwall

one of the most scenic drives I've ever been on : Greenwood Reservoir /Greenwood Mine Rd in Marquette County, Michigan. Road needs to be repaved however.
US 41 from Calumet to Fort Wilkins State Park.
The former M-107 and South Boundary Rd. in Ontonagon County
US 45 from Bruce Crossing to Ontonagon, Mi.
US 129 from Andrews, NC to Maryville, TN.
US 14/16/20 from Cody, WY to Yellowstone N.P.
US 180/AZ 64 from Flagstaff, AZ to Grand Canyon N.P.
US 385 in the Black Hills, SD
M-119 from Harbor Springs to Cross Village
Florida 19 from Umatilla, FL to Palatka, FL.
US 2 from St. Ignace , Mi to Naubinway, Mi.

SSOWorld

often you don't hear of interstates being scenic routes but I-70 through Glenwood Canyon is one.

US 40 in Colorado esp around Berthoud Pass (sp?)
US 34 (Trail Ridge Road) through Rocky Mountain National Park - driving at 13,000 feet - SUV may be required.  I drove it in 2002 - using a Jeep Laredo.  Had the 4wd on for half the time.
MT Secondary 471 and NFD 9 through Thompson Pass - MT/ID
Snoqualmie Pass
CA SR 1 - nuff said

That is all.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hellfighter

M-26 between Copper River and Copper Harbor

Michael

The most scenic route I've been on is US 15.

Here are some pictures from AlpsRoads, north of Williamsport:

For more, go to AlpsRoads' page on US 15 north of Williamsport.

South of Selinsgrove, from m-plex.com:

More at m-plex.com.

Along the Susquehanna River, from AlpsRoads:

More here.

BigMattFromTexas

I don't have any pictures :( but Tx 118 in Big Bend National Park is very scenic, also both Texas 21 and I-35 in Iowa in the Autumn are AMAZING

sonysnob

mefailenglish

Having just passed through those areas recently, I'll add another vote for I-70 west of Denver, and US 212/Beartooth Highway. 

I'll also submit Utah 128 for nomination.  You basically wind through a canyon with the Colorado River literally next to your door.  Plus you get to see what's left of the Dewey Bridge.

I do have some pictures but I haven't posted any (yet).

deathtopumpkins

I'd like to second 74/171's comment on VA-5, and add VA-14 out in Mathews County too. I drove it the other day, and it got really pretty once you really got out in the coastal marsh (despite being stuck behind an RV that couldn't make 55 and an alternating lane closure  :banghead:). But if I'm going to mention that, there's also NC/fmr VA-615 down from Princess Anne to Knotts Island, straddling the border. More gorgeous marsh scenery.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alex

QuoteThe most scenic route I've been on is US 15.

U.S. 15 is a fantastic drive heading north from Williamsport. I have photos of it northbound between I-180 and the state line that I'll post at some point.

mightyace

^^^ For some reason, US 15/Future I-99 doesn't stick in my mind as a scenic drive.  But, my memories of it are more of driving it when it was two lane and super-2 freeway most of the way and you couldn't take the time to look around.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Terry Shea

Quote from: mefailenglish on August 13, 2009, 09:35:31 AM

I'll also submit Utah 128 for nomination.  You basically wind through a canyon with the Colorado River literally next to your door.  Plus you get to see what's left of the Dewey Bridge.

I'll second that.  The first time I drove that route I was a little tired and punchy.  Not for long!  The adrenalin started pumping when I saw I was going to end up in the Colorado River if 1 wheel left the pavement.  Woke me right up!  I was still a little apprehensive about the drive, but I had a big old motorhome right in front of me so I figured if he could could negotiate the road I could.

The route through Zion National Park (forgot the route number and my atlas is in the car) is also a very scenic drive.

Mr_Northside

I may have already mentioned it (and I'm sure plenty of other people have), but I'm gonna give a shout-out to I-68, just because I was on it again last Saturday.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Crewdawg

ca 163 thru balboa park
ca 1
az 89a
id 75
us 93 in Idaho
us 12 in Idaho

agentsteel53

I second the ID-75/US-93 pair.  75 is an old 93 alignment, and the current 93 used to be 93A.  They split at Shoshone and rejoin at Challis.  75 follows the Salmon River, and I'm not sure what 93's route is aligned with.

93 remains quite scenic into Montana, and also further south in Nevada and Arizona.  Its continuation north, British Columbia provincial highway 93, is excellent as well.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Quote from: BigMatt on August 10, 2009, 05:00:17 PM
I don't have any pictures :( but Tx 118 in Big Bend National Park is very scenic, also both Texas 21 and I-35 in Iowa in the Autumn are AMAZING

Iowa I-35?  In what way is that road scenic?  Maybe if you like cornfields.  I was on the length of I-35 in IA last week and most of it is a total snoozer.  I can't imagine the few trees visible along I-35 in vivid colors making it that much more scenic.  I-29 Iowa is more scenic than I-35 because of the Loess Hills, and that's not saying a lot.

sonysnob

Ontario Highway 35 South of Dorset:

xcellntbuy

Some unique views, some at specific times:

The Long Island Expressway (NY 495) westbound, an elevated section just prior to dropping down into the toll booths and entering the Queens-Midtown Tunnel.  Optimum viewing time would be around 4:30 pm when we return to standard time in late-October, early November.  All of Manhattan is laid out before you, with all of the magnificent skyline lights of New York on in the early evening as offices and businesses are still open.

NY 9D from Cold Spring, NY to the Bear Mountain Bridge across the Hudson River.

Interstate 26 westbound from Hendersonville, NC to Asheville, NC.

FL A1A Palm Beach County, FL

Not a site, but a scent, Interstate 95 in Indian River County, FL during the months of January, February and early March, orange and grapefruit trees laden with fruit and blossoms.

US 41 Tamiami Trail through the Everglades, Miami-Dade and Collier Counties, FL

If you would like an idea what the old two-lane Alligator Alley must have looked like before it became Interstate 75, try FL 82 west from Fort Myers to FL 29 just north of Immokalee.

Interstate 77 north of Mt. Airy, NC to Galax, VA as dawn begins and the sun rises.  You will understand why the Blue Ridge Mountains are blue.

The Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive.

Interstate 275 and US 19, the Sunshine Skyway Bridge from St. Petersburg to Bradenton.

Interstate 75 north of Atlanta, GA and to Interstate 24 west from Chattanooga to Nashville, TN.

US 1, the Overseas Highway from Key Largo to Key West, FL.  In many areas, the Highway itself has only the Florida Straits and Florida Bay on either side of the shoulder.  You have never seen more colors of ocean in your life.

Mark Alan

hm insulators

Quote from: mightyace on July 20, 2009, 02:01:54 AM
I took CA 70 down the Feather River Canyon back in 2000.  Wow!  :wow:

My brother lives not far from there. I took a hike up the Pacific Crest Trail from California 70 once.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

roadfro

Quote from: Terry Shea on August 17, 2009, 08:59:35 PM
The route through Zion National Park (forgot the route number and my atlas is in the car) is also a very scenic drive.

Slightly old reply, but I have to agree with the drive through Zion NP...absolutely beautiful.  BTW, it's Utah State Route 9.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

tmthyvs

Quote from: Master son on August 10, 2009, 10:04:20 AM
US 34 (Trail Ridge Road) through Rocky Mountain National Park - driving at 13,000 feet - SUV may be required.  I drove it in 2002 - using a Jeep Laredo.  Had the 4wd on for half the time.

Nothing special required for some very special and scenic driving. Did it in my 4 cylinder Malibu a couple weeks ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.