News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What do you consider as an industrial wasteland?

Started by WISFreeways, October 14, 2009, 05:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WISFreeways

I consider an industrial wasteland to have these:

1. At least one river
2. A lot of industrial facilities
3. Railroads (you have to see them)
2009-era me chose this generic username...

bugo

Alex

corco

rawmustard

Battle Creek, Michigan, to the immediate west of downtown is quite an industrial wasteland. I would consider a wasteland to have several abandoned factory sites. Just about anyplace with a closed/abandoned paper mill would also qualify, although there are efforts to redevelop many of those sites.

agentsteel53

Cairo, Illinois. 

such a friendly welcome!

would you vote for a man named Street Preacher?

behold the vibrance and activity.

some of the buildings have just entirely given up out of sheer despair.

the town is at the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers - how on earth they managed to screw up such a strategic location, I will never know.  Ask Mr. Preacher, I suppose.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

I welcome any photos showing Detroit! Ryan sent me a few months ago. Anyone else have any?

WISFreeways

Cleveland, OH, Calumet City, IL, and just south of Los Angeles.

mightyace

Quote from: Chris petite on October 15, 2009, 04:52:48 PM
Cleveland, OH, Calumet City, IL, and just south of Los Angeles.

There are certainly parts of Cleveland that qualify.  However, it would be unfair to paint the whole city that way.

Other cities in the region with sections of town that would qualify:
Youngstown, OH
Pittsburgh, PA (as I said some parts, other parts of Pittsburgh are very nice)
Ashtabula, OH

And further afield:
Wilmington, DE along the river
sections of Knoxville and Chatanooga, TN
The "chemical coast" section of Houston, TX and surrounding cities
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alex

Quote from: mightyace on October 15, 2009, 05:32:29 PM

Wilmington has dramatically revitalized their riverfront, tearing down most of the industrial sites and replacing them with shops, offices, Frawley Stadium, etc. Even portions of the South Bridge community have seen revitalization on the river (however areas just south of there remain extremely blighted). Overall the northeast side (Eastlawn), areas along and east of U.S. 13 (Church/Spruce Streets), and the aforementioned South Bridge remain in a serious state of poverty. Sections of Westside between 6th Street and Delaware 48 (Lancaster Avenue) remain riddled with crime and gang problems too.

There was a nice site covering the renewal of Wilmington and its growing skyline, but it appears to be dead.

agentsteel53

Quote from: AARoads on October 15, 2009, 05:42:44 PM

Wilmington has dramatically revitalized their riverfront, tearing down most of the industrial sites and replacing them with shops, offices, Frawley Stadium, etc. Even portions of the South Bridge community have seen revitalization on the river (however areas just south of there remain extremely blighted). Overall the northeast side (Eastlawn), areas along and east of U.S. 13 (Church/Spruce Streets), and the aforementioned South Bridge remain in a serious state of poverty. Sections of Westside between 6th Street and Delaware 48 (Lancaster Avenue) remain riddled with crime and gang problems too.

so basically they took down the old signs, but made no actual progress on behalf of their citizens.  Yippeekayay.  I want my '61 spec shields back.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: AARoads on October 15, 2009, 05:42:44 PM
Quote from: mightyace on October 15, 2009, 05:32:29 PM

Wilmington has dramatically revitalized their riverfront, tearing down most of the industrial sites and replacing them with shops, offices, Frawley Stadium, etc.

Well my memories are 25 or 30 years out of date!  :banghead:

njroadhorse

Kearny, NJ and anywhere near the Meadowlands.

Pittsburgh is not as much a wasteland as it used to be.  Most of the mill sites are now some kind of complex and the neighborhoods are getting a little better.

Also, the entire city of Camden, NJ.  Waterfront and all.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Mr. Matté

"You know what I'd consider an industrial wasteland, all of NEW JERSEY!"

Chris

The port of Rotterdam, the Netherlands.

30 miles of continuous refineries, coal harbors, container terminals, car terminals, oil storage tanks, power plants, power lines, railroads, shipping and freeways.

I took this pic in 2005, it was even published in a Belgian earth science school book.

Ian

-Marcus Hook, PA
-Spots along the south New Jersey Delaware River waterfront
-all of northeastern New Jersey
-parts of Baltimore
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mightyace

Quote from: Chris on October 16, 2009, 01:46:42 PM
The port of Rotterdam, the Netherlands.

30 miles of continuous refineries, coal harbors, container terminals, car terminals, oil storage tanks, power plants, power lines, railroads, shipping and freeways.

I took this pic in 2005, it was even published in a Belgian earth science school book.

Hey, that road looks too nice for an industrial wasteland!  (at least here in America)  I expect roads in an industrial wasteland are to be in an advanced state of decay.  :-D

WISFreeways

You know what I'd consider as one?

Menomonee River Valley in Milwaukee (no thats not the reason I-94 is very depressed  :-P, there was actually an abandoned railroad there that followed that route)
NE Minneapolis and SE St. Paul (dont forget the Mississippi River :-D)
Just south of that double-decker section of I-64 in STL.

There was even this razor blade commercial turning the wasteland into nice mountains   

SSOWorld

Northern Lake County, Indiana.  Anything north of the toll road.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on October 15, 2009, 05:32:29 PMPittsburgh, PA (as I said some parts, other parts of Pittsburgh are very nice)

Most of where the mills were located have been cleared and are now used for other purposes.  The Mon Valley, which took the brunt of the steel industry collapse, is where you will still find relics of the industrial past as well as the survivors in Braddock's Edgar Thompson Works and the Clairton Coke Works.

BigMattFromTexas

Well San Angelo has a steel company, railroad tracks, a river, a new wind turbine manufactoring company(under construction) and multiple other factories, would this count...
BigMatt

Alps

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 16, 2009, 04:39:28 PM
-all of northeastern New Jersey

Then, no offense, but you're an idiot.  And I would say that to anyone who thinks that.

If you want to know where the industrial wastelands are in NE NJ: Carteret.  Port Newark/Elizabeth aren't so much industrial as heavy commercial.  There's a lot of warehousing near the NJ Turnpike in general.  That's no more than 5% of the total land area of NE NJ and about 1% of the roadscape.

Alps

Quote from: njroadhorse on October 15, 2009, 08:47:34 PM

Pittsburgh is not as much a wasteland as it used to be.  Most of the mill sites are now some kind of complex and the neighborhoods are getting a little better.

I have to defend NJ against a New Jerseyan?  Really?  Kearny, believe it or not, is a town.  Try driving NJ 17 through it.  The Meadowlands has light industry and heavy commerce (i.e. warehousing) between itself and Teterboro.  The Meadowlands itself is just a swamp, though.

Camden?  Industrial wasteland?  I don't think you've been off of I-676 or US 30 based on your response, especially re: the waterfront.

Alps

Quote from: AARoads on October 15, 2009, 12:01:30 PM
I welcome any photos showing Detroit! Ryan sent me a few months ago. Anyone else have any?
I'm sitting on a bunch but I'm focusing on my roads pages for the time being (and gotta get this damn update out).  Besides, I only took photos of the cool stuff, not the wasteland stuff.  The industrial wasteland I saw is near the river and south of the city (M-85 corridor) or along the Jeffries (I-96) west of the city, IIRC.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 23, 2009, 07:46:37 AM
Quote from: njroadhorse on October 15, 2009, 08:47:34 PM

I have to defend NJ against a New Jerseyan?  Really?  Kearny, believe it or not, is a town.  Try driving NJ 17 through it.  The Meadowlands has light industry and heavy commerce (i.e. warehousing) between itself and Teterboro.  The Meadowlands itself is just a swamp, though.

Camden?  Industrial wasteland?  I don't think you've been off of I-676 or US 30 based on your response, especially re: the waterfront.

Kearny is rather beautiful, especially in the Arlington section. State street in Perth Amboy is major industry north & south of the city itself
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.