News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apjung

Here's a great article on the AR/LA segment ribbon cutting and opening
http://txktoday.com/news/49-ribbon-cutting-ceremony-opens-49-shreveport/

Nice aerial drone footage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUQ3_DIe2pM

bugo

How is I-49 signed in Shreveport? Is it signed along that 4 digit LA loop (I can't remember the number...3132?) or all the way to I-20? Are there TO I-49 signs along US 71?

Alex

Quote from: bugo on November 11, 2014, 01:22:01 AM
How is I-49 signed in Shreveport? Is it signed along that 4 digit LA loop (I can't remember the number...3132?) or all the way to I-20? Are there TO I-49 signs along US 71?

When we were there in May, it was signed with a handful of trailblazers at the north end at I-20, and along LA 3132 and I-220. There was a sign replacement project about to get underway along I-220, so they may have added more signage pointing toward US 71 north for I-49.

US71

Quote from: Alex on November 11, 2014, 10:18:58 AM

When we were there in May, it was signed with a handful of trailblazers at the north end at I-20, and along LA 3132 and I-220. There was a sign replacement project about to get underway along I-220, so they may have added more signage pointing toward US 71 north for I-49.

There are trailblazers along US 71 up to LA 1, as well, plus a new overhead at the 1-71 Split. There are a couple signs along LA 1, as well. But no 49 signs on 71 north of LA 1. I am hoping to get down there in a few weeks and do some more looking around.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

apjung

Google Maps has updated I-49, now waiting for the updated satellite maps. It still looks so beautiful to see I-49 as one continuous stretch from Texarkana to Shreveport.
http://goo.gl/maps/9G0nC

bassoon1986

Quote from: Alex on November 11, 2014, 10:18:58 AM

I-49 northbound at exit 201 for LA-3132 loop still says: To Dallas To Texarkana, with no reference to taking the loop to reconnect to I-49 north.

At I-49's northern terminus at I-20, you are directed to take I-20 west (To I-49 North trailblazers, not on BGS). There are a few trailblazers on I-20 west for getting to I-49 north, then again at exit 11 for following I-220 east. It's marked at the US 71/LA 1 exit north, when you exit, and on the 1/71 split on the BGS in the picture shown above. So there's a good bit of good signage, although a convoluted detour. I'm guessing they don't want to sign the detour along a state highway (3132) although it's faster. All the more ammo to try and build the 49 connector between 20 and 220.

Gordon

Here is a news item If hasn't been posted somewhere about the Shreveport I 49 Connector. Sounds like they are trying there best to block it thru downtown. http://www.ksla.com/story/27458428/ksla-news-12-editorial-i-49-road-block 

cjk374

All he is is the station's general manager.  His only job seems to be making these "opinion columns" to put at the end of some news broadcasts.  My opinion of the S'port Housing Authority:  they are building these housing units now so the state has to purchase all of this property for the R.O.W. at a higher price.  I bet they really don't plan on having anyone move in to these units.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

apjung

Any idea if I-49 will be 6 lanes from LA 1 to I-220?

Also, Google Maps is getting way ahead of themselves with that section.

bassoon1986

If they model the southern end, the six lanes would only be within the loop. Part of me says I-49 could use 6 lanes from LA 1 southward because of commuters from the Blanchard area and a few towns north but it's not that built up yet.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: bassoon1986 on December 17, 2014, 10:05:16 AM
If they model the southern end, the six lanes would only be within the loop. Part of me says I-49 could use 6 lanes from LA 1 southward because of commuters from the Blanchard area and a few towns north but it's not that built up yet.

You could make a decent case right now for 6 lanes (3 + 3) and auxillaries between MLK Drive and I-20.

US71

Quote from: apjung on November 14, 2014, 01:09:49 AM
Google Maps has updated I-49, now waiting for the updated satellite maps. It still looks so beautiful to see I-49 as one continuous stretch from Texarkana to Shreveport.
http://goo.gl/maps/9G0nC

They still need to update Mira-Myrtis Rd to Parish Rd 16

dfwmapper

Is there a single sign anywhere not on I-49 that actually refers to it as that?

bassoon1986

I doubt it. There's very few parish shields in Caddo Parish. And many roads outside of Shreveport are designated parish roads.

cjk374

Quote from: bassoon1986 on December 18, 2014, 07:52:32 PM
I doubt it. There's very few parish shields in Caddo Parish. And many roads outside of Shreveport are designated parish roads.

Bossier Parish is the same way, but Goodwill Rd. has parish signs at the interstate ramps (but not on the BGSs) and I think a faded sign at its junction with US 79/80.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 18, 2014, 06:09:55 PM
Is there a single sign anywhere not on I-49 that actually refers to it as that?

Yes, on US 71 approaching it.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 27, 2014, 03:33:05 PM
The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") has posted it October 17, 2014 Transportation Policy Committee Draft Minutes and the Draft Minutes .... seem to indicate that the I-220/ LA 3132 Alternative 5 for the Inner City Connector would be more expensive than the "new build" alternatives

The Northwest Louisiana Council of Governments ("NLCOG") has posted its Transportation Policy Committee November 21, 2014 Draft Minutes, which reflect that initial analysis indicates that the cost of the I-220/ LA 3132 alternative would be "substantially more" than the other options:

Mr. Rogers stated that the packets included a factsheet on the I‐49 Inner City project provided by Providence Engineering. Mr. Rogers explained that the consulting team was doing a very detailed analysis of the Loop‐It alternative. Contrary to information being spread by a coalition of folks the Inner Loop/I‐220 option is not a no cost option. Initial analysis is showing that it will be substantially more than the build thru option. The primary locations of concern are the bridge over Cross Lake and the Inner Loop @ I‐49 interchange. Most of this interchange will need to be completely reconstructed to allow for free flow interstate travel.

NE2

The Goog has the wrong exit numbers for 237 and 241. Most likely they took them from Wikipedia, which took them from Froggie (who the fuck uses a fictional exit list as a source?).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

I-39

When will the I-49 extension to New Orleans get underway?

jbnv

Quote from: adamlanfort on January 25, 2015, 05:52:02 PM
When will the I-49 extension to New Orleans get underway?
Depends on how you define "underway." The process of converting US 90 to interstate standards has been ongoing for many years now. But the construction of certain parts of interstate grade is still unfunded and unscheduled.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Anthony_JK

It's actually been underway for quite some time.

The segment of US 90 between Morgan City and Raceland (LA 1/Bayou Lafourche/LA 308) had already been built to Interstate standards during the 80's and 90's as part of the TIMED projects. US 90 from LA 88 to Wax Lake has been slowly upgraded piece by piece from then to the present. The segment from just south of Lafayette to LA 88 is just now beginning to be upgraded; the segment in Lafayette is just about to start engineering and ROW work; and the remaining sections to New Orleans is awaiting enviromental approval for the changes in alignment due to the 2014 study to cut costs. Construction of the rest, though, are dependent on ultimate funding.

Bobby5280

Kind of showing my age in posting this, but I remember back when I was a kid living in Gretna watching parts of the elevated Westbank Expressway start to come together. My family moved away from the New Orleans area at the end of 1982, so I didn't get to see the parts of it they completed until ten years later on a road trip through there.

Even back then, more than 30 years ago, there were plans to get one or more Westbank loop highways built. To this day none are completed.

Grzrd

Quote from: Gordon on November 04, 2013, 06:10:09 PM
Caddo 2014-01-29 H.003495 ...
Segment K - Phase 2 New I-49/I-220 Interchange With Roadways to Tie to Seg. J $100,000,000 to $125,000,000 4.03

This TV video, primarily about short-term disruptions to local businesses caused by the closing of Russell Road as part of the Phase 2 construction, has some good footage of the construction.

Grzrd

This approximately 8.5 minutes video report provides a good update on the Inner City Connector, including a good visual of how each of the four "through" routes would impact the Shreveport Housing Authority's Renaissance development.

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on April 02, 2014, 10:09:16 PM
Why build a housing project in the middle of a highway corridor?
Quote from: Grzrd on February 11, 2015, 01:50:48 PM
This approximately 8.5 minutes video report provides a good update on the Inner City Connector, including a good visual of how each of the four "through" routes would impact the Shreveport Housing Authority's Renaissance development.

This February 15 KSLA News 12 Editorial questions the motives of the Shreveport Housing Authority in building the Renaissance complex directly in the path of the through route alternatives, and expresses a hope that the Authority will be "transparent" about its motives during upcoming meetings in March:

... Here are my questions:
- Why not take the most direct route, the least expensive route, the quickest route to complete?
- What is the long-term economic impact of the various paths? In other words, which route would make the most sense for future economic development?
- Which path does the mayor and city council of Shreveport support, and why?
- Why is the Shreveport Housing Authority building a multi- million dollar apartment complex directly in the path of the possible highway?
Over the next few months, public hearings will be held on this. I hope answers to these questions are forthcoming. Everyone involved needs to be transparent in their decision making
and think of what's best for Shreveport.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.