News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

AASHTO Fall 2023 Meeting

Started by Crown Victoria, December 04, 2023, 08:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crown Victoria

Looks like the results from the Fall 2023 Meeting have been posted already...and it appears that Arkansas and Oklahoma did indeed submit I-42 for consideration, but later withdrew their applications.

https://transportation.org/route/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2023/12/Final_Report_USRN_Fall_2023_R_1.pdf

US 89

Uh, they approved US 78 in Arkansas...

QuoteItem 10: Arkansas, US 78
Action: Extension of US route
Extension of US Highway 78 into Arkansas to connect to future I-57 through the major cities in Northeast Arkansas. Starting on US Highway 67 (Future I-57) South of Walnut Ridge/Hoxie, AR on highway 226 for 12.5 miles, continue onto US Highway 49 for 6.5 miles before turning south onto I-555 in Jonesboro, AR. Continues on I-555 for 5.25 miles before exiting on Highway 18 Spur in Jonesboro, AR. Travel north on Highway 18 Spur for 0.5 miles to Highway 18 eastward for 50 miles to I-55 in Blytheville, AR, then turning south on I-55 for 60 miles to the interchange with I-40. Travel 2.5 miles on Interstate 40/55 through West Memphis, AR before diverging south onto I-55 heading southeastward for 4.0 miles to Tennessee State Line.

Item 21: Tennessee, US 78
Description: Extension US Highway 78 onto Interstate 55 and into Arkansas. Starting at the Arkansas state line head southeastward on Interstate 55 for approximately 0.6 miles to the Interchange of I-55 and E.E.H. Crump Blvd in Memphis, TN. Then, continue eastward along E.E.H. Crump Blvd for another 1.1 mile to the Intersection of E.E.H. Crump Blvd and S Danny Thomas Blvd

Item 22: Tennessee, US 78
Action: Relocation of an existing route
Description: Relocate of a portion of US Highway 78 along E.E.H. Crump Blvd in Memphis, TN to remove truck traffic from downtown as part of the extension of US Highway 78 into Arkansas. Starting at the intersection E.E.H. Crump Blvd and S Danny Thomas Blvd head eastward along E.E.H. Crump Blvd for 1.4 miles to Intersection of E.E.H. Crump Blvd and Martin Luther King Blvd in Memphis, TN where route 78 continues eastward

QuoteItem 23: Tennessee, US 78
Action: Deletion of route
Description: Starting at S 2nd Street in Memphis, TN travel 2.5 miles eastward along Martin Luther King Blvd to the intersection with E.E.H. Crump Blvd. Removing of a portion of US Highway 78 that is to be relocated along E.E.H. Crump Blvd in Memphis, TN as part of the extension of US highway 78 into Arkansas

vdeane

And I-335, despite that said route doesn't even touch I-35 or any I-x35 routes.  And they would have approved I-42 were the application not withdrawn.  Clearly they've just become a rubber-stamp of every harebrained idea some dump politician conceives.  Why even have an AASHTO route numbering committee if this is how it's going to be?

Clearly they've jumped the shark.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rover_0

I wonder why the application for I-42 in Oklahoma and Arkansas was withdrawn...
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

TBKS1

Quote from: US 89 on December 04, 2023, 08:22:05 PM

QuoteItem 10: Arkansas, US 78
Extension of US Highway 78 into Arkansas to connect to future I-57 through the major cities in Northeast Arkansas. Starting on US Highway 67 (Future I-57) South of Walnut Ridge/Hoxie, AR on highway 226 for 12.5 miles, continue onto US Highway 49 for 6.5 miles before turning south onto I-555 in Jonesboro, AR. Continues on I-555 for 5.25 miles before exiting on Highway 18 Spur in Jonesboro, AR. Travel north on Highway 18 Spur for 0.5 miles to Highway 18 eastward for 50 miles to I-55 in Blytheville, AR, then turning south on I-55 for 60 miles to the interchange with I-40. Travel 2.5 miles on Interstate 40/55 through West Memphis, AR before diverging south onto I-55 heading southeastward for 4.0 miles to Tennessee State Line.

Item 21: Tennessee, US 78
Description: Extension US Highway 78 onto Interstate 55 and into Arkansas. Starting at the Arkansas state line head southeastward on Interstate 55 for approximately 0.6 miles to the Interchange of I-55 and E.E.H. Crump Blvd in Memphis, TN. Then, continue eastward along E.E.H. Crump Blvd for another 1.1 mile to the Intersection of E.E.H. Crump Blvd and S Danny Thomas Blvd

Item 22: Tennessee, US 78
Action: Relocation of an existing route
Description: Relocate of a portion of US Highway 78 along E.E.H. Crump Blvd in Memphis, TN to remove truck traffic from downtown as part of the extension of US Highway 78 into Arkansas. Starting at the intersection E.E.H. Crump Blvd and S Danny Thomas Blvd head eastward along E.E.H. Crump Blvd for 1.4 miles to Intersection of E.E.H. Crump Blvd and Martin Luther King Blvd in Memphis, TN where route 78 continues eastward

QuoteItem 23: Tennessee, US 78
Action: Deletion of route
Description: Starting at S 2nd Street in Memphis, TN travel 2.5 miles eastward along Martin Luther King Blvd to the intersection with E.E.H. Crump Blvd. Removing of a portion of US Highway 78 that is to be relocated along E.E.H. Crump Blvd in Memphis, TN as part of the extension of US highway 78 into Arkansas

This is definitely showing my age and probably gonna be an incredibly hot take but I'm actually kinda looking forward to this. It's gonna be different having a new highway in the state but it'll be very interesting. That route is pretty wild though.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

TheHighwayMan3561

Are I-335 and I-344 the successor pieces to the withdrawn attempts to designate I-240 into a full beltway?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ilpt4u

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 04, 2023, 09:04:09 PM
Are I-335 and I-344 the successor pieces to the withdrawn attempts to designate I-240 into a full beltway?
My thought on the 335 designation...Is there a grand plan to extend 335/Kickapoo Turnpike to south of OKC somewhere and meet its current estranged parent?

Bickendan

Quote from: vdeane on December 04, 2023, 08:41:22 PM
And I-335, despite that said route doesn't even touch I-35 or any I-x35 routes.  And they would have approved I-42 were the application not withdrawn.  Clearly they've just become a rubber-stamp of every harebrained idea some dump politician conceives.  Why even have an AASHTO route numbering committee if this is how it's going to be?

I-335 should have been either an x44 or I-238.

CoreySamson

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 04, 2023, 09:25:13 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 04, 2023, 09:04:09 PM
My thought on the 335 designation...Is there a grand plan to extend 335/Kickapoo Turnpike to south of OKC somewhere and meet its current estranged parent?
Yes.

I'm intrigued by the extension of I-27 to the south by several miles. It seems that all of a sudden TxDOT has decided they want to extend that route as fast as they can.

The US 78 extension is weird. I like the concept of elevating AR 226 to a US Route, but couldn't they have just followed I-555 back to Memphis? Now there's this wonky Z-shaped route instead.

Quote from: Rover_0 on December 04, 2023, 08:54:08 PM
Hopefully they discovered that there was another I-42 already present and decided to rescind their application temporarily to remediate that?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Great Lakes Roads

And they have approved an extension of I-27 south from its current terminus (4.2 miles along US 87)... 

ilpt4u

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 04, 2023, 09:47:31 PM
Hopefully they discovered that there was another I-42 already present and decided to rescind their application temporarily to remediate that?
Time for I-38 to finally make its debut? The Grid is more Guidelines, anyway. at this point

Max Rockatansky

I for one welcome the chaos of the new US 78 extension.  It has been a good while since something US Route oriented came along that upset so many road fan types. 

Henry

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 04, 2023, 10:10:36 PM
Time for I-38 to finally make its debut? The Grid is more Guidelines, anyway. at this point
Good! Maybe there's still hope for I-50, after all.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US 89

Isn't the Kickapoo supposed to be extended south to a junction with I-35? An x35 number would make more sense than x40 or x44 if that's the plan. I'm not going to get annoyed over 335 if that's the case.

Scott5114

It's entirely possible that's what the "approve with condition" was—the approval was perhaps conditional on picking another number?

Quote from: US 89 on December 04, 2023, 10:46:03 PM
Isn't the Kickapoo supposed to be extended south to a junction with I-35? An x35 number would make more sense than x40 or x44 if that's the plan. I'm not going to get annoyed over 335 if that's the case.

Correct—the Kickapoo is supposed to connect to I-35 at about MP 96 or so, just north of Purcell.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rschen7754

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 04, 2023, 09:49:44 PM
And they have approved an extension of I-27 south from its current terminus (4.2 miles along US 87)... 

So do they renumber all I-27 exits?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: rschen7754 on December 04, 2023, 11:38:58 PM

All new exit numbers will have a negative in front counting up again.  :bigass:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: WashuOtaku on December 04, 2023, 11:53:43 PM

All new exit numbers will have a negative in front counting up again.  :bigass:

Is it too much to hope for internal exit tabs for TXDOT to say they are that way for wind loading?

CoreySamson

I would guess Texas would leave all the exit numbers as is, at least for a little while. They didn't start changing the exit numbers for I-69 in Houston until it was signed for several years.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

-- US 175 --

Would the I-27 extension cover the distance between the south Loop 289 interchange and the future south Loop 88 interchange?

usends

This extension will bring I-27 to a junction with the future Loop 88.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

Alex

Quote from: vdeane on December 04, 2023, 08:41:22 PM

They previously approved the belt buckle beltway for IH 240 around OKC which included three overlaps. If it's a dumb idea, it's definitely approved.

Quote from: US 89 on December 04, 2023, 08:22:05 PM

QuoteMembers:
• Region 1 – Vacant
• Region 2 – Rex Vines, Arkansas DOT
• Region 3 – Lyndsay Quist, Indiana DOT
• Region 4 – Dwane Kailey, Montana DOT (Chair)
• AASHTO – Jim McDonnell
• AASHTO – Kimberly Floyd

With Rex on the committee, it was a no brainer  :coffee:

QuoteItem 13: Florida, Business Route US 98B
Action: Deletion of a route Vote: Approve
Description: Proposing to remove the US Route designation on USB-98/SR30/Beck Avenue at beginning mile point 2.962 to US-231/SR-75/Harrison Avenue
at ending mile point 6.362, which is 3.400 miles long. Route is bi-directional.

So US 98 Business in Panama City will overlap with US 231 north, or will US 231 be truncated north? Sounds like a good question for FDOT District 2.

mvak36

I'm so glad they started to put those decisions on the site again. Saves us the time of having to bug them to get the information.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

CNGL-Leudimin

Looks like Oklahoma has gone the North Carolina way requesting new Interstate designations. Down to duplicating one of the numbers, even though that hasn't happened (yet).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

SectorZ

So I-344 starts at I-44 and then ends at it?

Why not a loop number?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.