News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Under-utilized sports/performing venues.

Started by RobbieL2415, September 28, 2019, 12:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Rules:
-Venue must be used for at least one event per year, but not have a full-time tenant.
-Standing-but-not-operating spaces, like the Astrodome, don't count.
-Venues used by municipal boards of education for varsity athletics and artistic performances don't count.
-Venue must be a permanent structure.  Cirque-du-Solei, temporary conversions (i.e. Field of Dreams for MLB next year) don't count, for example.
-Burning Man does not count.
-Festival sites do not count unless they occur in a permanent structure.

Go.

DandyDan

I would have to say Sprint Center in Kansas City is top of the list. No NBA or NHL.

You could reasonably say every NFL venue fits the category.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

jeffandnicole

I believe the Trenton, NJ arena fits this category. Only had basketball for a few years at best, and was home to a minor league ice hockey team for several years. It now hosts school graduations, monster truck shows and numerous other one-time events, but nothing that a team in a league would call home.

Quote from: DandyDan on September 28, 2019, 04:45:04 AM

You already ignored rule #1.

RobbieL2415

I would have to say Sprint Center in Kansas City is top of the list. No NBA or NHL.

Sports leagues will be considered full-time tenants.

ozarkman417

The Dome at America's Center would count since the Rams moved to Los Angeles. The stadium will soon have another full-time tenant in 2020 when XFL comes in.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 28, 2019, 07:51:47 AM
I believe the Trenton, NJ arena fits this category. Only had basketball for a few years at best, and was home to a minor league ice hockey team for several years. It now hosts school graduations, monster truck shows and numerous other one-time events, but nothing that a team in a league would call home.
You already ignored rule #1.

This place. Passed by it while heading to Arm & Hammer Park, off of NJ Route 29 in Trenton...

hbelkins

Freedom Hall in Louisville. It was U of L's home basketball court until they built the new arena downtown. They actually repainted the basketball court in UK's colors before the last home game the Wildcats played there, until Calipari decided to quit playing an annual home game in Louisville.

I think they may use the arena for state fair-related concerts now, and President Trump held a rally there the first year he was in office, but it doesn't get used for very much at all.

Outside the rules just a tad, when Rupp Arena opened in Lexington, it was a frequent concert stop for touring acts. I saw the Rolling Stones there in 1981. Now, it's rare that a big-name musical act plays there. Several of them play the Yum center in Louisville, though. The Lexington concert business has declined significantly. I saw a lot of bands in Rupp in the late 1970s and early 1980s and it was rare to pay more than $10-12 a ticket for a show. So while the UK basketball team plays its home schedule there, and the women's team plays a few games, I would say it's definitely under-utilized for concerts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2019, 03:32:44 PM
Freedom Hall in Louisville. It was U of L's home basketball court until they built the new arena downtown. They actually repainted the basketball court in UK's colors before the last home game the Wildcats played there, until Calipari decided to quit playing an annual home game in Louisville.

I think they may use the arena for state fair-related concerts now, and President Trump held a rally there the first year he was in office, but it doesn't get used for very much at all.

Outside the rules just a tad, when Rupp Arena opened in Lexington, it was a frequent concert stop for touring acts. I saw the Rolling Stones there in 1981. Now, it's rare that a big-name musical act plays there. Several of them play the Yum center in Louisville, though. The Lexington concert business has declined significantly. I saw a lot of bands in Rupp in the late 1970s and early 1980s and it was rare to pay more than $10-12 a ticket for a show. So while the UK basketball team plays its home schedule there, and the women's team plays a few games, I would say it's definitely under-utilized for concerts.
The KFC-YUM Center. The most product placement arena ever.

Big John

Sctvhound

Florence, SC's arena (Florence Center). Seats 10,000, largest arena between Charleston and Raleigh, and has no permanent tenant. Used to have minor league hockey for years. Had a minor league arena football team several times, but nobody went to the games.

Biggest thing in there is the Lower State high school basketball championships for South Carolina, which is 2 days in late February every year. Then the Harlem Globetrotters, a couple country music concerts, and that is about it.

Myrtle Beach doesn't have an arena larger than 3,500 seats.

Both of the arenas in downtown Charleston are under-utilized. CofC's arena is 5,100 seats, and except for a few Spoleto events, and maybe 45 games a year, it sits there. The Citadel is 6,000 seats and has even fewer events.

jp the roadgeek

Brendan Byrne Continental Airlines Izod Center Meadowlands Arena in East Rutherford, NJ.  May finally be some life around it with the Xanadu project FINALLY set to open.

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 28, 2019, 04:58:50 PM

If they ever move out of Louisville, the name will probably change.

ftballfan

The DeltaPlex in Grand Rapids, MI used to be under-utilized until the Grand Rapids Drive (NBA G-League team) moved in a couple of years ago. Besides the Drive, the venue gets used for the occasional concert or trade show.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2019, 06:46:58 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on September 28, 2019, 04:58:50 PM

If they ever move out of Louisville, the name will probably change.

I think the arena's contract with the city also specifically bans an NBA team from ever moving in.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Beltway

RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. met this criteria in 2017, but it is due to be demolished in 2021.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

nexus73

Memorial Coliseum in PDX is close to the Rose Garden, which is the current home of the Trailblazers.  They still have a variety of events there but without a pro team tenant, it is underutilized.  We saw how the Portland Buckaroos of the Western Hockey League (a defunct franchise) was a major tenant decades ago, so maybe an NHL team might want to think about reviving the revenue for this Sixties Modern glass cube structure. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

gonealookin

The Cow Palace...why is it still standing?  When I was a kid I saw Warriors games there, and later the NHL Sharks before the arena in San Jose was completed.  It hosted the Barry Goldwater Republican convention, the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Grateful Dead back in the day.

There's not much going on there now (Events calendar), and I figure with the Warriors' new arena opening in San Francisco the Cow Palace-type events will likely migrate to the former "Oracle Arena" on the Coliseum property in Oakland.

SP Cook

Smaller market but Huntington, WV "˜s building, first named the Huntington Civic Center, then Civic Arena, and now the "Big Sandy Super-Store Arena" . 

City used to have one venue, the Field House, which housed whatever came to town, plus Marshall basketball.  Belonged to the county.  City fathers got all uppity and decided to build the HCC in 1975, but, because it was going to be so full of big time acts, they refused to cooperate with Marshall.

MU continued to play in the Field House until it got money to build its own, basketball only, venue.  County kept the Field House open for smaller acts until 2009.  Meanwhile Charleston, just 50 miles away, and to a lesser extent, Pikeville, and Portsmouth, built better, and in Charleston's case, larger, venues.  So the HCC sits empty for over 320 days per year.  A monument to the city's arrogance.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on September 30, 2019, 10:15:33 AM
Smaller market but Huntington, WV "˜s building, first named the Huntington Civic Center, then Civic Arena, and now the "Big Sandy Super-Store Arena" . 

City used to have one venue, the Field House, which housed whatever came to town, plus Marshall basketball.  Belonged to the county.  City fathers got all uppity and decided to build the HCC in 1975, but, because it was going to be so full of big time acts, they refused to cooperate with Marshall.

MU continued to play in the Field House until it got money to build its own, basketball only, venue.  County kept the Field House open for smaller acts until 2009.  Meanwhile Charleston, just 50 miles away, and to a lesser extent, Pikeville, and Portsmouth, built better, and in Charleston's case, larger, venues.  So the HCC sits empty for over 320 days per year.  A monument to the city's arrogance.

Huntington isn't really going to get any big-name concerts. Pikeville's getting acts that used to be big (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels Band, Alice Cooper, Kansas, 38 Special) but are past their prime, as well as lesser-known acts like Black Label Society, Shinedown, Godsmack, etc. They also host basketball tournaments, regional conferences, and other events. I've been in it a couple of times for various things.

I'd definitely think that a larger touring act would choose Charleston over Huntington, although I do occasionally hear of someone coming to Huntington. Can't really see that Big Sandy Superstore naming being an extremely lucrative thing. They've closed a few stores in the area.

formulanone

Indianapolis Motor Speedway: Three events, some testing, and lots of tours.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2019, 03:58:50 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on September 30, 2019, 10:15:33 AM

Huntington isn't really going to get any big-name concerts. Pikeville's getting acts that used to be big (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels Band, Alice Cooper, Kansas, 38 Special) but are past their prime, as well as lesser-known acts like Black Label Society, Shinedown, Godsmack, etc. They also host basketball tournaments, regional conferences, and other events. I've been in it a couple of times for various things.

I'd definitely think that a larger touring act would choose Charleston over Huntington, although I do occasionally hear of someone coming to Huntington. Can't really see that Big Sandy Superstore naming being an extremely lucrative thing. They've closed a few stores in the area.
You've forgotten the MAC in Prestonsburg. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

csw

Quote from: formulanone on September 30, 2019, 04:32:42 PM
Indianapolis Motor Speedway: Three events, some testing, and lots of tours.
The Mini Marathon uses the track and there's a golf course that uses part of the infield, too. But yeah, it just stands there empty for much of the year.

Source: I drove by it every day for 4 years on my way to high school.

tdindy88

In the case of the Indy Speedway, would the Indy Racing League count at a tenant per the rules of this topic? Most speedways are probably in the same boat, holding one or two races (or a series of races at one or two times of the year) and sitting quiet for the rest. Still, they have official tenants, typically NASCAR, Indy Car or both. I imagine just about any speedway isn't going to be holding automobile races all the time throughout the year.

A real under-utilized racetrack to me would be more like Nashville Superspeedway, which currently holds no races and is just used to testing.

formulanone

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 30, 2019, 10:58:43 PM
Most speedways are probably in the same boat, holding one or two races (or a series of races at one or two times of the year) and sitting quiet for the rest. Still, they have official tenants, typically NASCAR, Indy Car or both. I imagine just about any speedway isn't going to be holding automobile races all the time throughout the year.

Yeah, I don't keep up with them all, but until 1994, Indy used to hold one month-long sweepstakes and that was it, save some late-season tire testing. Probably the medium and smaller oval tracks get some more action; but the ones owned by conglomerates are sucked into more exclusive deals, and don't open themselves up as much for minor-league series' events. Whereas a lot of road courses tend to open themselves for club days and weekends after their 2-3 major events are held (there's less of them), and drag races can be held every weekend until winter has its say.

QuoteA real under-utilized racetrack to me would be more like Nashville Superspeedway, which currently holds no races and is just used to testing.

True enough - it's a pity that one didn't get more fans as it's just 2 hours from my home.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.