News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

When will this heat STOP?!

Started by snowc, September 15, 2021, 04:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

This heat wave is the longest we've had for a while. But the temps themselves aren't unprecedented fir this time of year. All of the folks up from Florida for the summer aren't escaping the heat they flee from this time of year, at least not this week.

Max Rockatansky

We've had a couple weeks to temperatures in the 100s in Fresno.  I want to say it only topped out at 109F this past Monday and never hit 110F.  The low 100F range isn't exactly abnormal for July, usually there is at least one big sustained run of temperatures like that this time of year.  It actually was surprisingly cooler for most of the year leading up to July.

Also, did the robots get to snowc or something given he hasn't been around in awhile?

ce929wax

90 degrees in Walterboro, South Carolina.  60% humidity, dew point 72.  Not terrible for South Carolina.

NE2

It's not any hotter than it used to be. Thermometers just read high as they age, and new thermometers are required to comply with Agenda 21. If you find a thermometer that's been in the freezer for decades, it will show the true temperature.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dvferyance

Given last year's trends I say late September.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: snowc on September 15, 2021, 04:16:00 PM
When is this darn HEAT gonna STOP for GOOD?! At least till next spring?!  :-D :wow: :colorful:

If we don't stop burning so many hydrocarbons, never.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Ted$8roadFan

The heat wave up here is expected to break on Monday, when a cold front comes through and lowers temps into the 80s.

TheHighwayMan3561

It stopped yesterday. It's going to be an amazing week in the Upper Midwest.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2022, 08:15:38 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 20, 2022, 05:39:21 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 20, 2022, 12:54:27 PM

Quote from: Brandon on May 20, 2022, 12:23:56 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 20, 2022, 10:03:19 AM
When will deleted thread STOP?!

No stop till Alanland!

Too flat, I prefer the mountains splendor or Illinois.  I'm just waiting for that Hypotenuse to be built which will provide direct access to from Ethanland to Chicago. 

Via a Parclo B4

Progress on that has been halted for now, due to the impending stock market crash.

The heat is a curse and a blessing from Goat Jesus.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Goat Jesus hates you but is also madly in love with your style.

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on July 22, 2022, 06:39:45 PM
Quote from: snowc on September 15, 2021, 04:16:00 PM
When is this darn HEAT gonna STOP for GOOD?! At least till next spring?!  :-D :wow: :colorful:

If we don't stop burning so many hydrocarbons, never.

I wonder what snowc thinks of what the projected climate of Earth in billion years is supposed to be?

Albert

European and US Heat Waves: September

Billy F 1988

Unfortunately, given the trend of high 90's and low 100's in Montana, it won't stop anytime soon. Despite my best effort in keeping the hot air out of my apartment with box fans, it's been a losing dogfight. I think we are past the point of asking when it will stop because it won't. It's either you suck it up and drink your water so you don't melt, or, be a bonehead and burn into ether.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on July 30, 2022, 06:10:31 PM
Unfortunately, given the trend of high 90's and low 100's in Montana, it won't stop anytime soon. Despite my best effort in keeping the hot air out of my apartment with box fans, it's been a losing dogfight. I think we are past the point of asking when it will stop because it won't. It's either you suck it up and drink your water so you don't melt, or, be a bonehead and burn into ether.

Does this mean you're going to be out watering the lawn, the greenhouse, and the flower beds, and won't be on as often?

Stay cool friends. TheHighwayMan394, out.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jgb191

Judging by all the others' complaints about summer weather, I guess I have a higher-than-average heat tolerance, having grown up and lived in a semi-tropical climate all my life.  I don't ever remember complaining in the summer.  I've been outside in the summer playing tennis or hauling baggage on the tarmac and still feel alright.  On the flipside, anything below 60 degrees (with light breeze) and I start shivering, especially if I don't have a coat on.

I still firmly stand by my belief that South Texas has the most desirable climate anywhere in North America.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Road Hog

It's been hot since early June in DFW, and when it gets that hot that early, it's going to be a top-five bad summer. The all-timer is 1980, although 2011 was bad too and rivals it in a lot of measures.

Normally the really hot stuff doesn't hit until after July 4, and occasionally we get a wet July like last summer that staves off the 100s until August. But this year we haven't had measurable rainfall since June 3, which makes conditions worse.

We had a peak of 109ºF for three days a couple of weeks ago, but it's stayed around 100-102ºF mostly, which keeps it a little tolerable. I'm warm-natured and don't handle summers well.

Bruce

This Pacific Northwest heat wave is unusually prolonged and is thus hitting us hard. Sustained 90+ days is very unusual for those on the west side of the Cascades and is just as hard as the 100-116 days during the heat dome last year.

LM117

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 20, 2022, 11:33:00 AM
Quote from: US 89 on May 20, 2022, 11:26:57 AM
are we sure snowc and Angelo from Pittsburgh aren't the same person  :-D

I prefer the snolbs17 theory.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 22, 2022, 08:05:02 AMAlso, did the robots get to snowc or something given he hasn't been around in awhile?

Methinks you weren't alone in your theory...
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

roadman65

Come down to Florida. We deal with it constantly.  Many in other parts of the country always cry when the temps remain high like it's a big deal.

Better yet come to Louisiana where humidity is always a problem near the Gulf making the 90's totally hard to bear.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: jgb191 on July 31, 2022, 12:36:28 AM
Judging by all the others' complaints about summer weather, I guess I have a higher-than-average heat tolerance, having grown up and lived in a semi-tropical climate all my life.  I don't ever remember complaining in the summer.  I've been outside in the summer playing tennis or hauling baggage on the tarmac and still feel alright.  On the flipside, anything below 60 degrees (with light breeze) and I start shivering, especially if I don't have a coat on.

I still firmly stand by my belief that South Texas has the most desirable climate anywhere in North America.

I don't think you'll get many people to agree with you. I'm from Oklahoma (I firmly stand by my belief that Oklahoma has the least desirable climate anywhere in North America) and even I found Corpus Christi to be uncomfortably humid. You and I may be well-adapted to 100+ temperatures, but for most people, they're a dealbreaker.

Most people find the climate in Southern California to be the gold standard:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on July 31, 2022, 07:10:56 AM
Come down to Florida. We deal with it constantly.  Many in other parts of the country always cry when the temps remain high like it's a big deal.

Better yet come to Louisiana where humidity is always a problem near the Gulf making the 90's totally hard to bear.

Inland Florida IMO has the worst summer weather in the country.  The high humidity coupled with the likelihood of major thunderstorms or hurricanes makes a chunk of the year pretty miserable. 

hotdogPi

List of days from July 11 to August 8 where the high temperature is below average (83°-84°) here:
July 18
July 26
August 6, and not guaranteed
End of list

August 9 is right on the edge and could go either way. I can't see past August 9.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 31, 2022, 05:16:51 PM
(I firmly stand by my belief that Oklahoma has the least desirable climate anywhere in North America)

I don't know, the further north you go the more cold and winter weather you get, and the summers still get very hot and aren't enough better to offset it IMO. From what little I know of Oklahoma, I'd take it over Manitoba and probably over the Dakotas too.

jgb191

Quote from: jgb191 on July 31, 2022, 12:36:28 AM

I don't think you'll get many people to agree with you. I'm from Oklahoma (I firmly stand by my belief that Oklahoma has the least desirable climate anywhere in North America) and even I found Corpus Christi to be uncomfortably humid. You and I may be well-adapted to 100+ temperatures, but for most people, they're a dealbreaker.

Most people find the climate in Southern California to be the gold standard:

It depends on where in southern California.  I believe that on the coast (Santa Monica, Malibu, Newport Beach, etc) is that mild all year long.  But places like Borrego Springs, Thermal, Needles, Imperial, Blythe, etc are the hottest places in North America (if not the world) as per the law of averages, with sometimes cold winter days. 

In your case, Oklahoma City and Tulsa are quite unique in that it averages nearly 20 days with triple-digits highs and nearly 20 days of below freezing highs. And pretty much any place in the Southern Great Plains that is Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma, and Kansas expects to see many days of both of those extremes every year -- again as per the law of averages.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on July 31, 2022, 10:16:32 PM
(I firmly stand by my belief that Oklahoma has the least desirable climate anywhere in North America)

I don't know, the further north you go the more cold and winter weather you get, and the summers still get very hot and aren't enough better to offset it IMO. From what little I know of Oklahoma, I'd take it over Manitoba and probably over the Dakotas too.

This is true, but the humidity and tornado risk both generally diminish the further north you go, so they are somewhat more tolerable than mere temperature difference would suggest. Oklahoma is also prone to high-pressure systems that form a "heat dome" that deflects moisture away (which, I just learned today, is what causes monsoon season in the Southwest). Thus, Oklahoma is also somewhat more drought-prone than places further north. (It's not uncommon in the summer to go 30+ days without significant rainfall, while Kansas is getting storm after storm.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CoreySamson

I was in Corpus Christi about a month ago (late June) and I really didn't think it was that bad, even in the hottest part of the day walking around outside. Of course there was a really nice breeze that day, which probably mitigated the heat a bit. I personally think that the humidity in Houston is worse because it's far enough inland that a breeze is not too common, and the city heat island effect makes the city even hotter. Winters are at least very nice here however.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.