News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Yes, that's somewhere between Charlottesville and Amherst.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

thefraze_1020

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on November 13, 2015, 03:17:20 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2015, 10:02:57 PM

It's like they didn't even try...or asked a 3-year-old to draw a US route blank...

I think that's more "Worst of" than "interesting".
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

hbelkins

Well, this is subtitled "the good, the bad and the ugly," so I think this one fits two of those three categories.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: jbnv on November 17, 2015, 03:33:37 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on November 17, 2015, 11:16:55 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 16, 2015, 08:23:14 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8716575,-77.1555565,3a,37.5y,212.43h,83.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDb7kPuCi56m7VRZut3nReg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I like the way "X" is used for "Cross" in Bailey's Crossroads at the infamous Seven Corners near Falls Church, VA.

This is fairly common in Virginia; Zion Crossroads gets the same treatment in most (but not all) places:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0700657,-78.186566,3a,30y,238.7h,85.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZ60bzImYDlDmoMqGH7PFeg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I wonder how much unwanted attention that last town has received over the last decade.

Little to none, interestingly enough. It's been developing rather explosively into a more suburban area as people take advantage of it being roughly halfway between Charlottesville and Richmond. No one seems to be (publicly) bothered by its name.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Bruce

SignGeek101

Quote from: Bruce on November 18, 2015, 09:30:13 PM
Some interesting signs recently posted to Reddit:

That sign is Ontario standard, except for the font, and it is circular, like so:

roadman65

I kind of find this one interesting as it has "Bedminster" and "Pluckemin" as the latter is part of the former.  Pluckemin is  not incorporated, but part of Bedminster Township.  The reason for this sign being set up like this is that the the exit serves all of Bedminster, but its Pluckemin community is the first place southbound place on US 202 & 206, and its township center is located north on US 202 after the two us routes split just shortly north of this interchange.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MarkF

From a recent trip to Japan, I saw a few interesting warning sign graphics showing the results of bad driving:

Beware of hitting something in the dark tunnel?  This was on the new Shin-Meishin Expressway outside Kyoto https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin-Meishin_Expressway.  There were also some signs warning of a grade, depicting two cars rear-ending a truck, with similar impact graphics.

This sign assembly was on the route 6 expressway in Tokyo, with a sign in the lower left showing the consequences of tailgating.  The big sign is a congestion map (segments light up in yellow, orange, or red).

freebrickproductions

This is a rather odd looking shield, IMO:
I-24 Shield by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I also spotted these rather large logo signs up in Chattanooga, TN:
Large Logo Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And here's some odd and unique signage from Tuscaloosa, AL:
Unlawful to Cut Corners by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
No Parking by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
This probably isn't all that odd, but it's the first one I've seen like this:
No Vending by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Unique Tuscaloosa, AL Signage by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

These AL 5 shields look like someone took a square and slapped the Mobile Bay area onto it:
I-20/I-59/US 11/AL 5 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
I-20/I-59/US 11/AL 5 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

PurdueBill

Newly installed this week on Market St/OH 18 in Fairlawn, Ohio....

which replaced boring, off-spec green square text signs.  Win!!!

kkt

Quote from: MarkF on November 22, 2015, 05:06:49 AM
From a recent trip to Japan, I saw a few interesting warning sign graphics showing the results of bad driving:

Beware of hitting something in the dark tunnel?  This was on the new Shin-Meishin Expressway outside Kyoto https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin-Meishin_Expressway.  There were also some signs warning of a grade, depicting two cars rear-ending a truck, with similar impact graphics.

They really need a sign to tell them not to drive into the damn wall?

SignGeek101

Quote from: kkt on November 24, 2015, 04:00:09 PM
Quote from: MarkF on November 22, 2015, 05:06:49 AM

Maybe the lanes are narrow there or something.  :hmmm:

AsphaltPlanet

I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that the tunnel has a round roof.  The sign looks like it's trying to warn traffic that it might run out of overhead clearance at the far edge of the lane.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on November 24, 2015, 04:00:09 PM

Driving while oriental?

MarkF

Google translate shows it as Tunnel In on top, and Speed Note! on the bottom, so Don't speed in the tunnel?

MarkF

Forgot to add, the tunnel is long and it curves. The picture was taken near the lower right in this view:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9496107,136.0162856,4244m/data=!3m1!1e3

jeffandnicole

Maybe you should be driving on the tunnel wall, which is where the black road and yellow passing lines are located.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Big John

^^ Anything under 16' is considered low clearance as a few taller trucks could cause impact.

KEVIN_224

There's a warning sign for a low bridge on US Route 1 in the Darien/Norwalk stretch of I-95 in Connecticut.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Big John on November 28, 2015, 09:52:18 PM
^^ Anything under 16' is considered low clearance as a few taller trucks could cause impact.

In most cases.  NJ generally doesn't post low-clearance signage when the clearance is greater than 14' 5".

Mr. Matté

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.