News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

10 MPH

Started by talllguy, May 10, 2014, 06:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talllguy

Posted at multiple locations on residential alleys in Baltimore County. I'm sure these were posted due to complaints. Any other agencies using super low speed limits (on white background) on public roads?

Speed Limit 10 by Elliott Plack, on Flickr

hotdogPi

Hairpin turn on MA 2 (I believe speed limit 15, but I'm not sure)
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Scott5114

The gravel road I grew up on in rural Oklahoma had a 15 mph speed limit. At the time, it was the only sign on the road other than the stop sign. (It has since gotten full street signs and a coat of asphalt, but no bump in the speed limit.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Zeffy

The lowest I've seen is only in parking lots, which I don't think count here. I've seen an advisory speed limit for a sharp 90-degree turn that listed 15 MPH.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

froggie

I don't see an issue with such low speed limits on alleys.  Default speed limit on Minneapolis, MN alleys (usually not signed) is also 10 MPH.

talllguy

Quote from: froggie on May 10, 2014, 09:16:26 PM
I don't see an issue with such low speed limits on alleys.  Default speed limit on Minneapolis, MN alleys (usually not signed) is also 10 MPH.

Definitely no issue, just curious to see them signed. There are around 600 miles of alleys in Baltimore City, not to mention the county, so signing them all would probably be expensive.

vdeane

There's a street in Rome with a speed limit of 10: http://goo.gl/maps/N7kND

Yaleville Rd in St. Lawrence County has an advisory speed of 5 around one curve.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hotdogPi

Quote from: vdeane on May 11, 2014, 03:18:43 PM

I thought you meant the one in Italy, until I clicked the link...
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2014, 03:21:49 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 11, 2014, 03:18:43 PM

I thought you meant the one in Italy, until I clicked the link...
And I've already clinched every interstate in Florida: http://goo.gl/maps/ufrjY  :bigass:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman

Quote from: 1 on May 10, 2014, 06:52:09 PM
You are correct sir.  The Hairpin Turn on MA 2 does have a regulatory speed limit of 15 mph.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Alex

roadman

There's a strip mall (Redstone Plaza) off of MA 28 in Stoneham that has speed limit signs reading "SPEED LIMIT 5-10 MPH".  And, no, there's never been either a Woolworths or a Ben Franklin located there.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

Not a public road, sadly, but the Disneyland parking lot had a speed limit of 14.

Lowest I've ever seen is 20. WSDOT doesn't allow speed limits below 20. (RCW 46.61.415 ยง 1-C)

agentsteel53

I can think of a pair of white-on-black 1960s speed limit 15 signs in California.  I can't think of a 10 offhand but I'm pretty sure I've seen it.

if you stretch the definition of "public", then certain truck weigh stations in CA have speed limit 3, and advisory speeds of 1 and 2.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jakeroot

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 14, 2014, 08:12:54 PM
if you stretch the definition of "public", then certain truck weigh stations in CA have speed limit 3, and advisory speeds of 1 and 2.

That extends into Washington as well.

Alps

Quote from: roadman on May 12, 2014, 12:51:08 PM
You are correct sir.  The Hairpin Turn on MA 2 does have a regulatory speed limit of 15 mph.
Massachusetts posts regulatory speeds in advance of curves instead of advisory speeds. I treat all of them as advisory.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on May 14, 2014, 10:04:13 PM
Quote from: roadman on May 12, 2014, 12:51:08 PM
Massachusetts posts regulatory speeds in advance of curves instead of advisory speeds. I treat all of them as advisory.

MassDOT, perhaps.  On the Route 16 westbound curve just before crossing 93, the dcr has two standalone 35mph yellow (advisory) signs of the kind designed to append to the bottom of a yellow diamond.  State Police run radar at the Main St. exit gore just beyond here โ€” I'm very curious to know if they attempt to enforce that 35, or the actual 45mph statutory limit for this segment.*

* Not curious enough to find out, though.

jeffandnicole

http://goo.gl/maps/TMXfD

I would think they are enforcing the 45 mph limit.  Why that 35 mph sign is even there without a reason why isn't proper signing.

Then again, just up the road, this sign is just bullshit...

Pete from Boston

Both those links are the same, but I will say the dcr seems to run its signing operation with a "how hard could it be?" approach.  There are so many sign anomalies and inconsistencies on their roads that I usually don't even post them here because it's an old, tired story that goes nowhere fast.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 15, 2014, 07:59:59 AMThen again, just up the road, this sign is just bull#%$@...

IIRC, several years ago one motorist (not me) got pulled over for speeding in an area where the only signs were advisory panels; this occurred in central Massachusetts.  The motorist just happened to be a road sign contractor and noticed that the sign in question was indeed an advisory panel and not a bonifide regulatroy speed limit sign.  he challenged his ticket on those grounds and won.

Shortly after that ticket was thrown out, just about every solo speed advisory panel (including the ones on the Mass Pike then-Fast-lane booths) were replaced with the standard regulatory speed limit sign.

I guess DCR and/or that particular MassDOT district didn't get the memo regarding the above-incident.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brian556

They alleys in my neighborhood have 10 MPM speed limits. To go any faster would be unsafe. They alleys can even be unsafe at 10 because people cannot see far enough to back out safely because the fences are too close.

CrystalWalrein

The alleys in Brigantine are pretty generous by the standards I've seen here. They're all rated for 15mph, but two full-fledged streets (Lincoln Drive and Vardon Road) have 15mph limits as opposed to 25mph for the majority of the island (and in the case of the latter it might โ€“ and should โ€“ extend to Duncan, Ray, and Quimet). Lincoln Drive is narrow and one-way, and Vardon was docked due to resident complaints.

I believe some streets in Upper Darby Township are rated at 15mph as well.

There is also one parking garage in Atlantic City rated at 9mph, and a road in a housing development in Hamilton Township rated at 23mph for the express purpose of it getting motorists' attention.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.