News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What NOT to eat on a road trip

Started by hbelkins, January 14, 2014, 11:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

corco

Food you find in your glovebox or between the seats that you cant quite remember how it got there

formulanone

corco

On that note- chocolate iced donuts on a warm day

Jardine

Sauerkraut and baked bean burrito

Brian556

Wendy's
Taco Bell
Krystal's
Basically anything that makes you shit.
The only food I can count on to not do that is Subway; therefore, that's the only thing I can eat when on a roadtrip.
I will eat other stuff in the evening when I'm headed to the hotel.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

Just the thought of casu marzu makes me nauseous.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

realjd

Truck stop hookers
Gas station hotdogs
Babies

corco

What about delicious baby cows?

hbelkins

Quote from: hbelkins on January 14, 2014, 11:51:49 AM
Sugar-free Gummy Bears

If you haven't clicked on the link yet, just do it. And prepare to replace your keyboard if you're drinking a beverage when you do so.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on January 14, 2014, 11:51:49 AM
Sugar-free Gummy Bears

I love this one,

QuoteIdeal Gift For Your Congressional Representatives

Must be really terrible.

And, pertaining to another thread here,

QuoteHope no one was stuck on the GW Bridge last September after eating this stuff
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

algorerhythms

Quote from: Alex on January 14, 2014, 03:06:53 PM
seafood in Enid, Oklahoma.
To quote Hank from Breaking Bad, "Two days' drive from the ocean and you're eating raw fish!?"

oscar

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 14, 2014, 01:19:39 PM
on that note: lobster, while driving.

Especially not the McLobster sandwich McDonald's has tried out in some markets, including but not limited to Canada's Maritime Provinces.  Really sloppy, lots of (pseudo-)lobster dripping into your lap if you try to eat it behind the wheel.  Same goes for the lobster rolls you can get at roadside vendors along the Maine coast, but at least those are good enough for you to stop and eat them at a picnic table. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

oscar

Quote from: Alex on January 14, 2014, 03:06:53 PM
seafood in Enid, Oklahoma.

Or even in Valdez, Alaska -- a fishing port where I somehow got served frozen fish on my 1994 visit.  Ugh.  (But I at least scored on that trip an Exxon Valdez postcard to mail back to the office.) 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

renegade

Quote from: Brian556 on January 14, 2014, 12:58:56 PM
... Basically anything that makes you shit.
The only food I can count on to not do that is Subway; therefore, that's the only thing I can eat when on a roadtrip.

False.  I ate once at a Subway in Gaylord Michigan.  After resuming my trip north on I-75, the ole bowels started rumblin'.  We were more than a few miles from the next rest area. ("Please, Jesus ... just ten more miles!").  :wow:  It was a long time before I ate at Subway again.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

1995hoo

Back in the 1990s I once ate a Hardee's Monsterburger while driving on I-95 near Petersburg, Virginia, on my way home for a school break. At least it was late at night, no traffic, so I was able to set the cruise control and hold the steering wheel with my knees.

I don't like mayo, so I had them delete that one item.

Nowadays I do not allow eating in the car and I will not even go through the drive-thru to get food to take home. If I want fast food to go, I go inside and then I put the bag in the trunk.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: renegade on January 14, 2014, 04:16:59 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on January 14, 2014, 12:58:56 PM
... Basically anything that makes you shit.

False.  I ate once at a Subway in Gaylord Michigan.  After resuming my trip north on I-75, the ole bowels started rumblin'.  We were more than a few miles from the next rest area. ("Please, Jesus ... just ten more miles!").  :wow:  It was a long time before I ate at Subway again.

Sounds like my experience with Panda Express.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brian556

I had a bad experience with a KFC buffet in Arkansas many years ago. I was riding with my mother to TN. After eating at the buffet, we stopped at a nearby gas station. There were several people in the parking lot selling watermelons. After getting what we needed, we were In the car about to pull out onto the street. At that time I suddenly had gas. I got out of the car to fart, and it was so loud that the watermelon sellers all heard it. We got back on the freeway, but had to get off the very next exit so I could use the bathroom at Love's.

1995hoo

Quote from: Brian556 on January 14, 2014, 04:51:22 PM
I had a bad experience with a KFC buffet in Arkansas many years ago. I was riding with my mother to TN. After eating at the buffet, we stopped at a nearby gas station. There were several people in the parking lot selling watermelons. After getting what we needed, we were In the car about to pull out onto the street. At that time I suddenly had gas. I got out of the car to fart, and it was so loud that the watermelon sellers all heard it. We got back on the freeway, but had to get off the very next exit so I could use the bathroom at Love's.

My bad experience with a KFC buffet came in the fall of 1993 when one of my roommates and I went down to Williamsburg to visit my brother at William & Mary. We went out to KFC, all ate way too much, then went back to the dorm and drank too much. We then headed to a party and en route my brother and my roommate decided to streak the Sunken Gardens, at which point one of our friends stole their clothes....meanwhile, as said theft was in progress, a group of girls we'd all known in high school came along not knowing what was going on. I was already laughing my arse off and when the streakers returned, my brother stood there yelling at the top of his lungs wanting his clothes back while my roommate just sat down on the sidewalk to sulk, making us all laugh even more....at which point way too much greasy KFC, tequila, rum, and beer finally did a number on my stomach and I proceeded to barf it all up (at least I managed to use a nearby trashcan), followed by a trip into the nearest dorm (which turned out to be an all-girls' dorm) to find a restroom to rinse out the vomit taste from my mouth.

For some dumb reason we went to that party anyway....William & Mary's version of "SoberRide" (or whatever you want to call it) wound up being called that night to get us back to my brother's dorm.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Jardine

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, lobster rolls

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.