News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Voice over announcers that you hear in multiple places, but do not know the name

Started by roadman65, August 06, 2015, 04:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTComposer

Quote from: roadman65 on August 06, 2015, 04:03:10 AM
I remember the man who had the nickname "The voice of Disney" would do the safety announcements on the WDW monorails inside WDW, as well as the Orlando International Airport Shuttle between the Landside and Airside buildings, and for a brief while was the announcer for Jimmy Bryant Honda, a local Central Florida auto dealer that used his voice on local radio ads.

Not sure if it's the same guy as Florida, but the "Voice of Disney" for Anaheim (who has been doing it for years, and can be recognized by the opening phrase "Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls...") is one of the nicest guys you could meet, does several of the characters as well, and when I met him working on a local PBS production, was more than happy to record one of my voice mail greetings, complete with the iconic phrase.

SidS1045

QuoteThen for those of you who have been around for years and remember the "Sears is a wonderful place to shop" jingle most likely remember the NBC Nightly News announcer for Tom Brokaw and previous John Chancellor do the voice over ads for Sears and Roebuck commercials on both TV and Radio.

Howard Reig was the staff announcer for NBC Nightly News from 1983 to 2005, spanning the Chancellor and Brokaw eras and part of the Williams era.  Before 1983, and going back to the Brinkley-Chancellor and Huntley-Brinkley days, it was Bill Hanrahan ("This program was produced by NBC News, which is solely responsible for its content").
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

D-Dey65

Does anybody know who's voice is used on the Jacoby & Meyers commercials? Because I swear whoever he is, he was dubbed over Mel Gibson for American audiences in the original version of "Mad Max."

SidS1045

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 09, 2015, 12:07:39 AM
Does anybody know who's voice is used on the Jacoby & Meyers commercials? Because I swear whoever he is, he was dubbed over Mel Gibson for American audiences in the original version of "Mad Max."

I believe it was Frank Chavez.

D-Dey65

Quote from: SidS1045 on August 12, 2015, 03:19:42 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 09, 2015, 12:07:39 AM

I believe it was Frank Chavez.
Thanks. I'm going to look him up.

J Route Z

The famous Don LaFontaine has been heard on hundreds of movie trailers along with these other people: http://www.donlafontaine.com/Index.html?p=OtherVoices.html&pt

In a world...

Billy F 1988

I am trying to figure out who the man is doing ESPN Radio promos, drop-ins and station idents presently. I have no clue of his name, where he's from, or what sort of other voiceover works he's done.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

route17fan

There is one guy I grew up with in central Ohio named Charlie Van Dyke, a deep, booming voice, who used to do voice overs for WNCI 97.9 back in the '80s and come to find out he did v/o work for WABC in New York, among others:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Van_Dyke

For some of the old timers, The Carol Burnett Show announcer did quite a bit of work too. He had an Ohio connection, thanks to Tim Conway, and his name was Ernie Anderson. Ernie did v/o work for the upcoming episodes of first and second seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation - and back in the '70s for the opening of Cleveland's WEWS Eyewitness News openings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernie_Anderson

John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

KEVIN_224

He also was the voice of WTIC-FM 96.5 Hartford, back in their CHR/Top 40 "96 TIC-FM" days. Ernie was, by far, my all-time favorite announcer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpCMnkTOHRE

swbrotha100

Quote from: golden eagle on August 07, 2015, 01:12:50 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on August 06, 2015, 10:25:07 PM
I think there was a guy named Mitch Craig who used to do a lot of spoken radio ID's in the '80s. Not sure, but I think he was the voice that a lot of pop stations all across the country used back then.

He was all over the place in the 80s and 90s.

Who's the guy that does the voiceovers for ESPN Radio and msnbc?

Jim Cutler is the voice of ESPN, MSNBC, many local TV/radio affiliates, etc.

http://www.jimcutler.com/

I think Dawn Cutler is the female voice heard on ESPN Radio a lot, as well as various local stations.

Billy F 1988

And Mr. Cutler recently put the Missoula and Great Falls radio markets on his hit list!

Jim is sort of what I like to call "Mr. ESPN Radio". He's recently jazzed up a radio bit for the local College Game Day program on 102.9 FM. It's a localized version of the popular ESPN radio college sports program. We also have a weekly show that Mr. Cutler does the cuts for on this same station called "Tootell and Tucker". I'm actually happy to see Jim give Missoula some exposure to what he does with ESPN Radio stations.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

SidS1045

Quote from: route17fan on September 09, 2015, 09:29:34 PMFor some of the old timers, The Carol Burnett Show announcer did quite a bit of work too. He had an Ohio connection, thanks to Tim Conway, and his name was Ernie Anderson. Ernie did v/o work for the upcoming episodes of first and second seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation - and back in the '70s for the opening of Cleveland's WEWS Eyewitness News openings.

Probably known best for his promos for "The Looooove Boat."

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TxsdENdK5Ic

Bruce

The announcer on Sound Transit buses and trains seems to have also been contracted by the City of Seattle to do the new crosswalk announcements (e.g. It is now safe to cross).

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: empirestate on August 06, 2015, 12:30:48 PM
I haven't heard her on any media, but I would like to know who is the voice in all of the airports with what I'd call the old-school LA accent (most noticeable in the pronunciation of "baggage")?

iPhone

Did she also do the Grand Central Terminal "all unattended luggage and parcels" announcement? I'm curious too, I hear her around a lot.

iPad

empirestate

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on September 13, 2015, 07:18:27 PM

I haven't heard her on any media, but I would like to know who is the voice in all of the airports with what I'd call the old-school LA accent (most noticeable in the pronunciation of "baggage")?

iPhone

Did she also do the Grand Central Terminal "all unattended luggage and parcels" announcement? I'm curious too, I hear her around a lot.

iPad

Probably, though I never hear her at GCT (and I'm there regularly).

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: empirestate on September 13, 2015, 09:45:11 PM

iPhone

iPad

I'm surprised, as far as I remember they loop the damn message every two minutes.

iPad

empirestate

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on September 13, 2015, 09:46:11 PM

Quote from: empirestate on September 13, 2015, 09:45:11 PM

iPhone

iPad

I'm surprised, as far as I remember they loop the damn message every two minutes.

iPad

If I don't hear it, it's not because it isn't happening, but more likely because I'm zooming in between tourists taking pictures of the ceiling and talking to each other at the whispering corner. I'll be there tomorrow; I'll try to keep an ear out.

route17fan

For Atlanta members, who does WSB voice work? He used to (or probably still does) introduce a lot of shows like Neal Bortz, Clark Howard, among others that originate from WSB.   
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Henry

Quote from: route17fan on September 09, 2015, 09:29:34 PM
There is one guy I grew up with in central Ohio named Charlie Van Dyke, a deep, booming voice, who used to do voice overs for WNCI 97.9 back in the '80s and come to find out he did v/o work for WABC in New York, among others:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Van_Dyke

I remember him from WBBM and WMAQ in Chicago. I think of him, Bill Ratner, Paul Turner and Scott Chapin as the hardest-working VO announcers in TV and radio history. Sort of the industry's Mount Rushmore, if you will...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

swbrotha100

Quote from: SidS1045 on September 11, 2015, 10:05:12 AM
Quote from: route17fan on September 09, 2015, 09:29:34 PMFor some of the old timers, The Carol Burnett Show announcer did quite a bit of work too. He had an Ohio connection, thanks to Tim Conway, and his name was Ernie Anderson. Ernie did v/o work for the upcoming episodes of first and second seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation - and back in the '70s for the opening of Cleveland's WEWS Eyewitness News openings.

Probably known best for his promos for "The Looooove Boat."

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TxsdENdK5Ic

I noticed in the video that the shows advertised had "8:00/7:00 Central & Mountain" and "9:00/8:00 Central & Mountain". When did networks stop mentioning the Mountain Time Zone in advertising? These days it would be just "8:00/7:00 Central" or "9:00/8:00 Central".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.