News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Macy’s Planning to Go Forward With Store Closures

Started by kevinb1994, November 18, 2021, 02:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Quote from: Brandon on February 29, 2024, 04:26:00 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on February 29, 2024, 03:01:33 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 29, 2024, 11:00:18 AM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on February 29, 2024, 10:55:31 AM
Somewhat related, but I noticed with IZOD products currently Amazon is selling the latest Spring/Summer 2024 collection at full MSRP, while JCPenney, Kohl's, and Belk are selling them for more reasonable prices. I would not pay full MSRP for clothing.

I wouldn't buy any clothing through Amazon anyway.  You cannot see and touch the fabric to determine if it's to your liking.  It also makes fitting a lot more difficult.
But returns are pretty easy - often at a Kohls. <shrugs>

Why do that when I can go to a Kohl's and just choose off the rack?

The trick is to buy some shit from Amazon, return it at Kohl's, and use the 20% coupon they give you to buy some clothes from the store.

RobbieL2415

I would guess that Macy's long term plan to survive is to go fully up-market, completely pricing out middle and low-income customers. I heard anecdotally they are going to rely more heavily on Bloomingdale's for that, as well.

There is literally nothing I would ever need to buy at Macy's when Target is across the street and if not, then Amazon.

With regard to the Thanksgiving Day Parade, if Macy's folded, I'm sure they would liquidate their IP assets to a venture capital firm that would then renegotiate the rights for the City of New York and Comcast to use them. Even so, the parade itself wouldn't go anywhere and it's not like the route hasn't been adjusted before.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Bruce on March 01, 2024, 12:42:36 AM
Quote from: Brandon on February 29, 2024, 04:26:00 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on February 29, 2024, 03:01:33 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 29, 2024, 11:00:18 AM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on February 29, 2024, 10:55:31 AM
Somewhat related, but I noticed with IZOD products currently Amazon is selling the latest Spring/Summer 2024 collection at full MSRP, while JCPenney, Kohl's, and Belk are selling them for more reasonable prices. I would not pay full MSRP for clothing.

I wouldn't buy any clothing through Amazon anyway.  You cannot see and touch the fabric to determine if it's to your liking.  It also makes fitting a lot more difficult.
But returns are pretty easy - often at a Kohls. <shrugs>

Why do that when I can go to a Kohl's and just choose off the rack?

The trick is to buy some shit from Amazon, return it at Kohl's, and use the 20% coupon they give you to buy some clothes from the store.

Unfortunately many of the quality name brands (including IZOD) are excluded from coupons. For men's the only quality name brands that I know that are still not excluded are Haggar and Van Heusen (which are brands that very few people still buy today).

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: kkt on February 28, 2024, 04:19:53 PM

Yes.  Dear Macy's, If you didn't WANT the Bon, why the heck did you buy it?

Because of the parade.  You have this expensive parade on national television and so you want to leverage your name on it.  They used "Bon Macy's" as a transitional name, and they could have stuck with that.

I'm starting to have the same question with Rite Aid and Bartell's.  Why buy it just to shut most of them down?  Because they weren't in financial trouble when they bought Bartell's.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on March 01, 2024, 06:47:34 PM
I'm starting to have the same question with Rite Aid and Bartell's.  Why buy it just to shut most of them down?  Because they weren't in financial trouble when they bought Bartell's.

Eliminating competition would be my guess.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

DenverBrian

Quote from: kkt on March 01, 2024, 12:03:37 AM
I'd much rather not have to return it at all because I had two minutes looking at the actual article.
Repacking it, requesting a return authorization online, taping it on the box, taking the box to a UPS outlet (or whatever).

I also don't like making the market dominant sales outlets richer.  It's in everyone's interest to ensure continued competition.

No repacking or taping a piece of paper needed. It's a QR code in an email. Take the item into Kohls, show them the QR code on your phone, they take care of repackaging.

I think your second objection is the real one.

Road Hog

Never even knew Macy's was going national until I saw their sign in 2000 on the exterior of Stonebriar Mall, which was going up in the middle of nowhere in Frisco. Of course I blinked and by 2006 it was completely surrounded by amazing commercial development.

vdeane

Quote from: DenverBrian on March 01, 2024, 07:57:25 PM
I'd much rather not have to return it at all because I had two minutes looking at the actual article.
Repacking it, requesting a return authorization online, taping it on the box, taking the box to a UPS outlet (or whatever).

I also don't like making the market dominant sales outlets richer.  It's in everyone's interest to ensure continued competition.

No repacking or taping a piece of paper needed. It's a QR code in an email. Take the item into Kohls, show them the QR code on your phone, they take care of repackaging.

In my mind, returns are supposed to be extraordinary events, not standard operating procedure.  It feels dishonest, even.  In my mind, you verify what you need before you buy it, and only return if something is broken or something else weird happened.  Not "I'm buying a ton of things and returning most of it because I'm using my home as a fitting room".  Just taking things out of their packaging creates a lot of work for the retailer, if they can even resell something at all.  Fun fact: there are even stories of people being banned from Amazon for returning too many things.

Not to mention that, at least around here, Kohls tends to be inconveniently located.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

Quote from: Road Hog on March 01, 2024, 10:32:54 PM
Never even knew Macy's was going national until I saw their sign in 2000 on the exterior of Stonebriar Mall, which was going up in the middle of nowhere in Frisco. Of course I blinked and by 2006 it was completely surrounded by amazing commercial development.

Do you mean Frisco, Texas?  Because Macy's was in San Francisco back to the 1950s at least, and in New York of course.

kkt

They're both real.  My nearest Kohl's is a half hour drive each way.  Gas and aggrevation are not free.  At that rate, repacking it myself and taking it to the UPS store 10 minutes walk away looks like a win.

Bruce

Staples is also a dropoff option, but then again I've seen them close several Seattle-area stores. There's an entire office supply store desert forming in Lynnwood, which lost both Staples and Office Depot recently.

Ted$8roadFan

I also remember when Macy's bought out and closed many regional department stores in the mid-2000s, including Jordan Marsh. I hated to see it happen, but the writing was on the wall for those regional chains.......and that was before the iPhone, the Great Recession and the COVID-accelerated "you can do everything from home", among other things. I don't think Macys will completely go away, but they will need to find the sweet spot between catering to high-end shoppers while not completely shutting out the middle class.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on March 01, 2024, 10:54:16 PM

In my mind, returns are supposed to be extraordinary events, not standard operating procedure.  It feels dishonest, even.  In my mind, you verify what you need before you buy it, and only return if something is broken or something else weird happened.  Not "I'm buying a ton of things and returning most of it because I'm using my home as a fitting room".  Just taking things out of their packaging creates a lot of work for the retailer, if they can even resell something at all.  Fun fact: there are even stories of people being banned from Amazon for returning too many things.

Not to mention that, at least around here, Kohls tends to be inconveniently located.

Heh. I worked at Micro Center during the summer of 1993 and there was one customer I would now call a "return artist" (a term I picked up from my brother, whose first few jobs out of college were "loss prevention"). We all knew what he was doing because he had so many returns—he bought software, took it home, copied it, and returned it because he "didn't like it" or it was "too slow" or some other transparent excuse.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mgk920

Quote from: kkt on March 01, 2024, 11:09:34 PM

Do you mean Frisco, Texas?  Because Macy's was in San Francisco back to the 1950s at least, and in New York of course.

And that San Francisco store is also on thier near-term chopping block.   :no:

Mike

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 02, 2024, 05:52:08 AM
I also remember when Macy's bought out and closed many regional department stores in the mid-2000s, including Jordan Marsh, Burdine's, Strawbridge, etc. I hated to see it happen, but the writing was on the wall for those regional chains.......and that was before the iPhone, the Great Recession and the COVID-accelerated "you can do everything from home", among other things. I don't think Macys will completely go away, but they will need to find the sweet spot between catering to high-end shoppers while not completely shutting out the middle class.

kkt

Quote from: Bruce on March 02, 2024, 03:49:00 AM
Staples is also a dropoff option, but then again I've seen them close several Seattle-area stores. There's an entire office supply store desert forming in Lynnwood, which lost both Staples and Office Depot recently.

I was really surprised when the Office Depot next to University Village shut.  They were the obvous choice for individual students, faculty, and staff - near 100,000 people.  And they were also the supplier for the university's institutional needs.  All I can think of is that their property might be rented and their landlords might charge top dollar rent and made no allowance for the pandemic.

What's left is an Office Depot (might be an Office Max?) in Ballard and one on Aurora near Home Depot.  Or scrounding through an art supply store, or University Book Store, but they don't have the depth of stock.

kalvado

Quote from: kkt on March 02, 2024, 03:57:50 PM
Quote from: Bruce on March 02, 2024, 03:49:00 AM

I was really surprised when the Office Depot next to University Village shut.  They were the obvous choice for individual students, faculty, and staff - near 100,000 people.  And they were also the supplier for the university's institutional needs.  All I can think of is that their property might be rented and their landlords might charge top dollar rent and made no allowance for the pandemic.

What's left is an Office Depot (might be an Office Max?) in Ballard and one on Aurora near Home Depot.  Or scrounding through an art supply store, or University Book Store, but they don't have the depth of stock.
.....amazon......

DenverBrian

Quote from: vdeane on March 01, 2024, 10:54:16 PM

It's not binary. It's not either "return nothing" or "return everything you buy online."

The vast majority of people are rational about returns. They get something online, and learn something upon opening that changes their mind. <shrugs>

The online experience has created a huge advantage for all those who hate having to drive to a store, only to find that their size, color, or style isn't there.

Brandon

Quote from: kkt on March 01, 2024, 11:09:34 PM

Given that he's from Collin County, Texas, I suspect he's talking about Frisco, Texas.  Stonebriar Mall: https://maps.app.goo.gl/RJzSJ6JsRzBFKjQn8
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.