News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

[Original title: First U.S. case of Wuhan coronavirus confirmed]

And at my local hospital no less.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/01/21/coronavirus-us-case/

ozarkman417

A second case has been confirmed and the stocks are having a bad time as a result.

kevinb1994

Also, they are now thoroughly screening for this coronavirus at twenty airports nationwide.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4596689002

bing101

kevinb1994

Three more coronavirus cases confirmed; one in Orange County CA, one in Los Angeles County, and one in Maricopa County aka the Phoenix area.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/26/third-us-case-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-california-health-officials-say.html

bing101

US71

Quote from: ozarkman417 on January 24, 2020, 05:36:34 PM
A second case has been confirmed and the stocks are having a bad time as a result.

Why do stocks matter? Only people wealthy enough to afford stocks care about the stock market..
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bing101

CNGL-Leudimin

Meanwhile the coronavirus (which would be of unknown origin if I mentioned it on Twitter due to reasons known to everyone) hasn't reached Spain yet. We have had a few suspect cases, though, all of which turned out to be something else. However in the country that lies just across the Pyrenees (France) there are 3 confirmed cases, and another one in Germany.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

SectorZ

Quote from: US71 on January 26, 2020, 10:24:26 AM

Why do stocks matter? Only people wealthy enough to afford stocks care about the stock market..

Not to get off topic here, but I guess you don't know how 401(k) systems work?

bing101

kphoger

Waiting for . . .

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

vdeane

Quote from: SectorZ on January 28, 2020, 08:32:37 AM

Not to get off topic here, but I guess you don't know how 401(k) systems work?
You put your money into index funds or managed funds (whichever your company offers... index funds are better if you can get them because they don't include fees) with your approximate retirement timeframe and then don't panic until you get close to retirement (by which point most of your funds should be bonds anyways).  Does anyone really try to individually manage everything?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

nexus73

Captain Trips and "The Stand" anyone?  So far we are not at that stage or even the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic, which killed my maternal grandmother's mother and set events in motion that led to how our family came about. 

The real stress test is not the disease as much as the societal strain that the People's Republic Of China is undergoing.  There are enough glowing embers in the Celestial Kingdom that it seems like at any time some surprising developments will take place. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kevinb1994

kphoger

8200 = Deaths due to influenza in the USA alone since September 29, as of last week.
213 = Deaths due to the Wuhan coronavirus worldwide since December 1, as of today.

Forgive me if I'm not panicking.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kevinb1994

Quote from: kphoger on January 31, 2020, 10:12:53 AM
8200 = Deaths due to influenza in the USA alone since September 29, as of last week.
213 = Deaths due to the Wuhan coronavirus worldwide since December 1, as of today.

Yeah but it helps to have knowledge of other countries' ongoing health crises you know.

webny99

I was going to add in the numbers of cases of each to give some more context, but that information proved to not be a quick and easy find. Needless to say, it becomes more worrisome when you consider the ratio of cases to deaths.

CNGL-Leudimin

Aaaaand the coronavirus has made it to Spain. But fortunately not to the Peninsula, but to the Canary Islands, to La Gomera island. A German tourist who had been in contact with one confirmed case back in Germany.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MNHighwayMan

Because the stock market still greatly affects the economy at large. Ever hear about the stock market crash of 1929 and the Great Depression?

Rothman

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 31, 2020, 07:36:38 PM

Because the stock market still greatly affects the economy at large. Ever hear about the stock market crash of 1929 and the Great Depression?
Right.  What's interesting there is that it wasn't broad public ownership of stocks causing personal bankruptcies that contributed to the Depression, but rather corporate ownership using stocks as bank accounts.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on January 31, 2020, 05:25:11 PM

I was going to add in the numbers of cases of each to give some more context, but that information proved to not be a quick and easy find. Needless to say, it becomes more worrisome when you consider the ratio of cases to deaths.
On ABC News tonight they quoted 9700 cases and 213 deaths, at least in China.  That's a 2.2% death rate for those infected.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bing101

kevinb1994

Quote from: bing101 on January 31, 2020, 11:21:14 PM
https://abc7news.com/5895060/

Now there is a report of a patient Coronavirus in the San Jose area

https://abc7.com/health/us-quarantines-american-evacuees-from-china-at-riverside-military-base/5895001/

And here is another one at the Riverside military base.
What I find amusing about that is that both Riverside and San Jose are both named streets here and lead to their eponymous neighborhoods that were once not part of the old city limits until 1967-1968. Also they are on opposite sides of the river here and Riverside is not far from the naval air station down river on US 17.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.