National Boards > General Highway Talk

Interstates that changed the most from planning stage to building stage

<< < (10/11) > >>

US20IL64:
I-90 and I-94 were flipped in IL, IN. Also, 90 re-routed from current I-290 to NW route, by O'Hare Airport.

And, many cancelled Interstates/Freeways, nationwide.

Henry:
I-40 in NC has undergone so many changes that it's impossible to keep up. Originally it ended at I-85 in Greensboro until an eastern extension came about in the 80s. First the extension was to go to Morehead City (where the planned I-42 will end eventually), but Wilmington wanted it more, so it went there instead. Then in the 90s, it was rerouted to the south of Winston-Salem, and a decade later, it was also rerouted to the south of Greensboro for several months before numerous complaints about the new route forced an about-face. (One thing to note is that the eastern half of the former reroute is currently occupied by the new alignment of I-85, so now the two 2di's converge approximately eight miles east of where they originally met.)

--- Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 27, 2023, 10:59:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: 1995hoo on June 27, 2023, 07:18:40 PM ---I-95 in New Jersey, perhaps?

--- End quote ---

Along with I-95 in DC and Boston.

--- End quote ---
And Baltimore too. That section of I-95 is the last one in MD to be completed because of major changes regarding its routing: First it was planned to run right through downtown, then it was moved to the south of downtown to cross the harbor on a high bridge (was it going to be suspension, cable-stayed or other?), but eventually good sense won out, and the Fort McHenry Tunnel was constructed under the harbor instead. As a result, the Harbor Tunnel finally got big-time relief, and even underwent a two-year reconstruction period shortly after the newer tunnel had opened to traffic.

Avalanchez71:
Wasn't I-24 planned to run up Vincennes, IN then across to Saint Louis?

3467:
I remember there were several alignments proposed for 24 but not sure if the routings.
I am sure all those were West of 57. The idea of East through Carbondale was later like 1965 with the Supplemental Freeway system.
There have been multiple corridors proposed and studied there. A 4lane expressway between Murpheysboro and Pickneyville lives on.

mgk920:

--- Quote from: US20IL64 on October 02, 2023, 10:15:46 PM ---I-90 and I-94 were flipped in IL, IN. Also, 90 re-routed from current I-290 to NW route, by O'Hare Airport.

And, many cancelled Interstates/Freeways, nationwide.

--- End quote ---

IMHO, I-90 just has a 'feel' of having been originally planned to use use the US 12 corridor, IL 53 and I-290 between downtown Chicago and Madison, WI, There are too many 'clues' along the way for me to think otherwise.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version