News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Takumi on April 12, 2012, 11:33:44 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on April 12, 2012, 11:27:48 PM
Can you really have the Best Of and the Worst Of on the same assembly?

I think this shield qualifies.
That's just Best Of - an old standard.

cu2010

These two relics still stand (and there's two more of them!)...gotta love back roads. :)

This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Scott5114

Oklahoma DOT has quite a few of those. Mostly they are used for very temporary situations, like debris removal or painting.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ian

I'd consider this sign to be a best, mostly because of the cool shield design.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: andy3175 on April 10, 2012, 11:39:06 PMSalinas is also home to a rare overhead sign with all-text "Business Route 101" on Main Street. It's located west of the 101-183 interchange.
As mentioned by andy3175 in my welcome thread, here's the sign that he talks about:

Here's an interesting find out of all the Clarendon street blade signs in Salinas. This one is really old and I'd like to mention that there's another one down the street that I didn't get a picture of:

Scott5114

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on April 22, 2012, 01:16:42 PM
Here's an interesting find out of all the Clarendon street blade signs in Salinas. This one is really old and I'd like to mention that there's another one down the street:

I have a feeling Jake is going to strongly react to this in a non-business-appropriate manner.

okroads

Ian

Old New Jersey Turnpike approach sign on US 40 in Deepwater, NJ

Taken about an hour ago.
Youtube l Flickr

RJ145

mcdonaat

An old metal billboard on U.S. Route 165 north of Mer Rouge, LA.

relaxok

I would think this would have to have been posted on the forums by now, but using whatever searches I could think of didn't turn it up (granted people don't always describe the sign at all..) but just in case... does anybody know if this windy road sign is anywhere other than south of Montreal coming from the New York border? (on canada's highway 15 I believe?)

Alps

Quote from: relaxok on May 04, 2012, 03:18:45 PM
I would think this would have to have been posted on the forums by now, but using whatever searches I could think of didn't turn it up (granted people don't always describe the sign at all..) but just in case... does anybody know if this windy road sign is anywhere other than south of Montreal coming from the New York border? (on canada's highway 15 I believe?)

It is throughout Quebec.

Kniwt

Quote from: Steve on May 04, 2012, 06:56:45 PM
It is throughout Quebec.

Glad to see that Angry Birds is popular in Canada, too.

Central Avenue

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Scott5114

Okay, expert time: Is that Series A?

Alps

thenetwork

F350

Quote from: PennDOTFan on April 11, 2012, 10:59:01 PM
Williamsport, MD (taken just last week):

Didja snap the erroneous US-11 signed as MD-11 just past (I think) of Williamsport? 

Ian

Quote from: F350 on May 05, 2012, 02:42:04 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on April 11, 2012, 10:59:01 PM
Williamsport, MD (taken just last week):

Didja snap the erroneous US-11 signed as MD-11 just past (I think) of Williamsport? 

Sadly, I don't recall seeing any MD 11 shields.
Youtube l Flickr

apeman33

Martin Van Buren spitting penises at a No Pest Strip ahead?

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

BamaZeus

Quote from: apeman33 on May 05, 2012, 09:54:13 PM

Martin Van Buren spitting penises at a No Pest Strip ahead?

I'm thinking more like Rip Taylor doing it instead.

Alex

Classic button copy sign find from Jeremy (bugo) in downtown Tulsa:

Scott5114

That is the only triangular gantry you will find in Oklahoma. I believe Jeremy has advised the 51 was replaced by a meat cleaver when that was the thing to do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.