News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on September 27, 2012, 10:31:53 AM
What's the purpose of Google Street View if it blurs out road signs?
Huh? If you're talking about my link, that's zoomed in on a low-resolution photo.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

It looked like blurred signs, the way that Google sometimes blurs license plates.

OK, second time I tried it, it looked like a cow.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

in Louisiana, there are also examples of this shape which are getting harder to find.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 27, 2012, 02:15:08 PM
in Louisiana, there are also examples of this shape which are getting harder to find.

The ones with series C are probably my favorites. Here is the second northbound shield for US 61, which I posted in an updated guide for US 61 north.

Another one from Covington along the US 190 mainline:

mcdonaat

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 27, 2012, 02:15:08 PM

You mean like this one?

Super, super rare... only about three left in existence. Not only that, but we had the same style for US 71/167, US 61/190, and US 80/165.

agentsteel53

nope, your diagram shows a standard '61 spec.  mine has a different shield shape.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mcdonaat

Ahh, yours has the bulging shape. I've actually never seen this style outside of Louisiana.

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

hbelkins

Quote from: mcdonaat on September 27, 2012, 04:46:32 PM
Ahh, yours has the bulging shape. I've actually never seen this style outside of Louisiana.

It's rare you DON'T see one in Alabama.

Alex

Quote from: hbelkins on September 27, 2012, 10:21:05 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on September 27, 2012, 04:46:32 PM

It's rare you DON'T see one in Alabama.

Was going to mention Alabama as well. Seems that is the standard shield in most installations by ALDOT. County installs tend to be either of an odd variety or the bland 1970 spec.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 31, 2012, 03:50:24 PM
what is the difference between a generic 2 and an SD&G 34?  different shield style, or actually different jurisdiction?

I'd assume they're both Stormont-Dundas-Glengarry County roads, or no?
Just a different style. Both are Storming-Dundas-Glengarry roads, and both cross county boundaries while retaining their number (although 34 becomes a provincial highway in Prescott-Russell). Old hwy 2 is more notorious though (linking Montreal and Toronto).

Duke87

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Quote from: Duke87 on September 28, 2012, 07:30:41 PM
Dunno about that, but I can give you Y and YZ!

I prefer "La Villa Strangiato," myself.

formulanone

Central Avenue

All from Pataskala, Ohio:

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Kacie Jane

Those street blades are very reminiscent of the older ones still hanging around the Nyack, NY area. http://goo.gl/maps/7lpZj

Alps

Quote from: Kacie Jane on October 02, 2012, 05:39:24 PM
Those street blades are very reminiscent of the older ones still hanging around the Nyack, NY area. http://goo.gl/maps/7lpZj
Fairly common variety. Many, many, too many to name towns around NJ and PA (and the other states) have them still or had them until recently.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Steve on October 02, 2012, 06:46:42 PM
Fairly common variety. Many, many, too many to name towns around NJ and PA (and the other states) have them still or had them until recently.
Real nice to look at, though.

thenetwork

Quote from: Central Avenue on October 02, 2012, 02:45:04 AM

Wow, I forgot about all those yellow "permit" signs, which date back to at least the 1960s.  Those were on pretty much any traffic control device (intersection signals, school zones, etc...) from the era. 

Anyone know the history of the Ohio Signal Permits (how long they were issued, why they were issued [Non-ODOT installs??], is there on-line access to a master list of all of the permits???) 

apeman33

Quote from: Steve on October 02, 2012, 06:46:42 PM
The black-and-white versions of those were the ones used in Garden City, Kan., when I was growing up. And those signs may have been responsible for my first roadgeeking moments.

D-Dey65

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Takumi

Discovered these two state-name I-95 shields at exit 24 in Middle of Nowhere, VA. (There's literally nothing there.) Had I known just how little traffic uses this exit, I would have gotten out and taken less terrible pictures. In this first photo, the one on the right is the state-name one.

This one is at the Davis Travel Center.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

There are plenty of state-name VA shields - in the greater DC area, and to an older spec. New-spec state name shields are indeed rare.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.