The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralCAroadgeek

Dat font for the 780 shield... (and strange gantry too...)

Ian

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on November 10, 2012, 09:46:58 PM

Do these signs light up at night? I ask, because it looks like a back-lit sign with that frame around it.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 10, 2012, 11:01:39 PM
Do these signs light up at night? I ask, because it looks like a back-lit sign with that frame around it.
That, I'm not sure about. Maybe another Bay Area roadgeek could have an answer...

Alex

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on November 11, 2012, 12:43:49 AM
That, I'm not sure about. Maybe another Bay Area roadgeek could have an answer...

Yes

From https://www.aaroads.com/california/i-080ec_ca.html:

QuoteThis internally lit sign, located along eastbound Interstate 80 at Exit 30A, Junction Interstate 780 east to Benicia, is one of the few internally lit overhead signs in California....

https://www.aaroads.com/california/images080/i-080_eb_exit_030a_02.jpg

Scott5114

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on November 10, 2012, 09:46:58 PM

Futura! Classy.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

they sure do.  the experiment dates to, I believe, 1976.  there's a similar one somewhere on a surface street in San Francisco pointing to I-80.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: Alex on November 11, 2012, 10:02:53 AM
Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on November 11, 2012, 12:43:49 AM

Yes

From https://www.aaroads.com/california/i-080ec_ca.html:

QuoteThis internally lit sign, located along eastbound Interstate 80 at Exit 30A, Junction Interstate 780 east to Benicia, is one of the few internally lit overhead signs in California....

https://www.aaroads.com/california/images080/i-080_eb_exit_030a_02.jpg

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 14, 2012, 09:56:09 AM

they sure do.  the experiment dates to, I believe, 1976.  there's a similar one somewhere on a surface street in San Francisco pointing to I-80.

Neat! They remind me of these signs seen at the south end of the Adirondack Northway near Albany, NY.
Youtube l Flickr

US12

vtk

Is that approaching the road that unofficially extends M-34 eastward towards Ida?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

US12

Quote from: vtk on November 16, 2012, 07:14:54 PM
Is that approaching the road that unofficially extends M-34 eastward towards Ida?
Yes it is, this was taken southbound on Wilmoth Hwy.

Alex

Takumi

Have I no shame? (Westbound old VA 44 in Powhatan County)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

mcdonaat

Old LA 10 shield with the Louisiana Scenic Byways sign underneath. Both are pretty old, I would date them at around 1970.

Ian

These three signs are at the entrance to the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) westbound from Clarendon Street in Boston...

Youtube l Flickr

Scott5114

My God, those are beautiful.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 26, 2012, 07:18:39 PM
These three signs are at the entrance to the Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90) westbound from Clarendon Street in Boston...

I've never seen that before. It looks like a modern replica of an old sign.

vtk

That font strikes me as very Catholic.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Ian

Quote from: Steve on November 26, 2012, 09:48:38 PM

I'm not really too sure what the deal with that sign is to be honest. It appears to be a case sign with internal lighting, which have obviously stopped working some time ago. I'm curious to find out how exactly old this sign is.
Youtube l Flickr

NE2

Same sign, 2001:

The Goog shows a wire leading to it, so it certainly is or was backlit.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 26, 2012, 10:28:55 PM

I'm not really too sure what the deal with that sign is to be honest. It appears to be a case sign with internal lighting, which have obviously stopped working some time ago. I'm curious to find out how exactly old this sign is.
Last time, I went to Boston just to photograph one sign. It seems like a repeat may be in order.

brownpelican

Quote from: mcdonaat on November 19, 2012, 02:45:50 AM
Old LA 10 shield with the Louisiana Scenic Byways sign underneath. Both are pretty old, I would date them at around 1970.

If I'm not mistaken, the "Louisiana Scenic Byways" signs first appeared in the mid or late 1990s. That sign is simply out there with no shade from the sun.

1995hoo

To me the downward-pointing arrow is very peculiar. I know apparently that's common out in California, but it's not normal in anyplace I've ever lived.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 26, 2012, 10:28:55 PM

My guess is that sign is about as old as the building structure (John Hancock Conference Center) it's mounted on.  It likely replaced the old original 60s-era button-copy BGS that existed prior to the Conference Center being built and it just matched the wording & legend in kind.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.