News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: cu2010 on December 08, 2012, 01:23:18 PM
So I'm running around running errands today, happened to have the camera with me, and I stumble upon this...

Best part? This is a fairly recent install...it's been a while since I drove through there, but the last time I did, it was a regular, modern crossbuck!
In Salem, MA along Route 107 just south of the MA 114 interchange; there's a similar in style, old dilapidated old RR Crossbuck still standing as of earlier this year.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

WillWeaverRVA

There is only one railroad crossbuck with button copy text remaining in the city of Richmond. I've been meaning to take a picture of it; I'll probably go down this weekend and do it.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Ian

This BGS along MA 9 eastbound in Wellesley dates back to when I-95 was still planned to head through downtown Boston:

A "LANE ENDS MERGE LEFT" sign that has survived the Iway project along I-95 in Providence.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

PHLBOS

Quote from: PennDOTFan on December 13, 2012, 09:42:05 PM
This BGS along MA 9 eastbound in Wellesley dates back to when I-95 was still planned to head through downtown Boston:

That particular BGS is still there as of last November; despite all the subsequent BGS' being much newer.  It's vintage is likely of the early-70s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

theline

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 14, 2012, 04:04:27 PM

That particular BGS is still there as of last November; despite all the subsequent BGS' being much newer.  It's vintage is likely of the early-70s.
I'm curious about the word "exits." All signs now, I think, would say "exit" when referring to a single exit. I suppose this sign uses the verb "exits" because MA 128 exits in 1 mile. Signs now usually use the noun "exit." Was it once common to use the verb?

Ian

Yep, I actually photographed this over the Thanksgiving break. Surprised it's still there!

Quote from: theline on December 14, 2012, 05:35:00 PM
I'm curious about the word "exits." All signs now, I think, would say "exit" when referring to a single exit. I suppose this sign uses the verb "exits" because MA 128 exits in 1 mile. Signs now usually use the noun "exit." Was it once common to use the verb?

The word 'exit' is pluralized because it's a cloverleaf interchange with one ramp leading to I-95 (MA 128) south, and the other to I-95 north.
Youtube l Flickr

brownpelican

Saw this gem last week in Enon on Lee Road. Go south of LA 16 and it's LA 437.

SidS1045

Ironically, it was less than a mile from what used to be (and may still be) a large MassDOT facility (back then, it was the DPW) which, I believe, used to contain a sign shop.

I haven't been on that stretch of MA-9 in a while, but I believe that sign has been replaced.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

PHLBOS

Quote from: SidS1045 on December 19, 2012, 08:56:37 AMI haven't been on that stretch of MA-9 in a while, but I believe that sign has been replaced.
You might want to re-read a few posts back.  As of this past Thanksgiving, both Ian/PennDOTfan & I have confirmed that this particular BGS is still there.  All the subsequent BGS' have since been replaced w/ones just bearing w/I-95 shields.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SidS1045

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 19, 2012, 10:28:22 AM
Quote from: SidS1045 on December 19, 2012, 08:56:37 AMI haven't been on that stretch of MA-9 in a while, but I believe that sign has been replaced.
You might want to re-read a few posts back.  As of this past Thanksgiving, both Ian/PennDOTfan & I have confirmed that this particular BGS is still there.  All the subsequent BGS' have since been replaced w/ones just bearing w/I-95 shields.

OK, I must be thinking of the ones closer to the cloverleaf.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

AsphaltPlanet

Ontario hasn't used rounded sign boards for decades, so this sign may date to the opening of Hwy 405 in the 1960s.  (Though the text on the crown looks fairly new):

This one is from the 403, and also likely dates back to the opening of the highway in the 1960s.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Central Avenue

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on December 22, 2012, 12:44:40 PM
Ontario hasn't used rounded sign boards for decades, so this sign may date to the opening of Hwy 405 in the 1960s.  (Though the text on the crown looks fairly new):

Like the sign itself, hate the shield. Stretched/compressed type is a big pet peeve of mine...
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

cu2010

Compressed type is, sadly, becoming increasingly common in Ontario...

Gotta love that old Ontario font on the 403 sign, though! :)
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Alex

Preceded by two button copy overheads!

Kacie Jane

Ah! Another exemplary case of Best Of and Worst Of on the same assembly!

roadman

Quote from: SidS1045 on December 19, 2012, 08:56:37 AM

Ironically, it was less than a mile from what used to be (and may still be) a large MassDOT facility (back then, it was the DPW) which, I believe, used to contain a sign shop.

I haven't been on that stretch of MA-9 in a while, but I believe that sign has been replaced.

MassDPW (later MassHighway) had their principal maintenance facility, which included both their sign shop and classrooms for training, in a large building located just outside the northwest quadrant of the I-95 (MA 128)/MA 9 interchange in Wellesley.  Sometime in the mid 1990s, as part of the Weld Administration's attempts to fool the public into thinking the state was solvent by selling off useful assets, the facility was completely torn down and the land sold to Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (after considerable environmental remediation was completed on the site).   Last I went by there (about 2006), Harvard Pilgrim still owned the building.

As far as the 1 mile BGS for Route 128 that's still there, it is my understanding that the sign and support (which date from the early 1970s) were supposed to be replaced under the Route 9 Brookline to Southborough sign replacement project done in the late 2000s.  Not sure why this sign work was never completed, but it's likely that a new sign and support for I-95 will be installed at this location as part of the final stage of the Randolph to Wellesley "add-a-lane" project currently under design.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

KEK Inc.

Quote from: Alex on January 02, 2013, 01:49:41 PM

Preceded by two button copy overheads!

Shortcut to Alanland?
Take the road less traveled.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Central Avenue

Quote from: Kacie Jane on January 02, 2013, 06:08:24 PM

You think so? Personally I thought the Alan Wood Rd sign looked quite nice, albeit not quite "Best Of".
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

CentralCAroadgeek

Speaking of black-on-white button copy, this "Trucks OK" sign on I-5 south is a good one:

vtk

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 03, 2013, 12:12:44 AM

You think so? Personally I thought the Alan Wood Rd sign looked quite nice, albeit not quite "Best Of".

It's nice-ish, but a far cry from accepted design standards.  I interpret it as a guide sign, so it should be white on green.  The font is way off.  The border should be a little thicker.  There isn't nearly enough spacing between or around the two lines of text.  It just doesn't look like an official road sign at all; more like a fake, meant to look like a road sign, but designed by someone who clearly doesn't look at road signs all day.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

agentsteel53

I don't know what that font is, but it reeks of Arialveticverstesk.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

A few from the Albany area...

Youtube l Flickr

Central Avenue

Quote from: vtk on January 03, 2013, 11:48:02 AM
Quote from: Central Avenue on January 03, 2013, 12:12:44 AM

It's nice-ish, but a far cry from accepted design standards.  I interpret it as a guide sign, so it should be white on green.  The font is way off.  The border should be a little thicker.  There isn't nearly enough spacing between or around the two lines of text.  It just doesn't look like an official road sign at all; more like a fake, meant to look like a road sign, but designed by someone who clearly doesn't look at road signs all day.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I know it's far from any sort of highway standards. I just don't think that alone makes it a terrible sign.

(Also, I'm somewhat biased, being a Helvetica fangirl and all.)

agentsteel53

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 04, 2013, 12:37:53 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong. I know it's far from any sort of highway standards. I just don't think that alone makes it a terrible sign.

(Also, I'm somewhat biased, being a Helvetica fangirl and all.)

meanwhile, I think that entire font family is a terrible blight, and should not be used anywhere, at any time, for any reason, except maybe on written proposals attempting to convince Noriega to come out of his hut. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.