News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Central Avenue

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 13, 2013, 11:19:28 PM
Unisign in the City of Fairfax, Virginia:

As a friend of mine put it: "No Turn on Japan"
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Alps

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on January 16, 2013, 11:24:52 PM
Quote from: ctsignguy on January 05, 2013, 02:13:46 PM
Quote from: Central Avenue on January 04, 2013, 10:29:28 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I understand the value behind standardization. There's a need to give drivers a certain expectation of what they should see, and if everyone who posted a sign just made up their own rules we'd quickly get an inconsistent and confusing mess.

But when I look at an individual sign, I try to judge it on its own merits. After all, the standard is only one way of doing things, and just because it's the accepted standard doesn't mean it's the only good way of doing things, or that other ways of doing things are inherently inferior. That's why I, personally, will criticize signs for being ugly or unclear or other such faults, but not merely for not conforming to the standard.

Of course, you're free to disagree, but that's my take on it.

So, Ms Central, how would you judge this sign?  Definitely not standard....

Looks like a standard California curve warning sign from the 1960s, at least from the curve directions indicated by the arrow.
Connecticut. I recognize that any day.

formulanone

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 17, 2013, 12:13:36 AMAs a friend of mine put it: "No Turn on Japan"
What if you're listening to Turning Japanese?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 17, 2013, 12:13:36 AM

Just excellent. 

Best part - I snapped that image to get the unisign, not the "No Turn on Japan."
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

yakra

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 17, 2013, 12:13:36 AM
HA! Oh man. That was so funny I had to (gleefully) say it out loud several times!
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

cpzilliacus

Quote from: formulanone on January 17, 2013, 08:03:15 AM
Quote from: Central Avenue on January 17, 2013, 12:13:36 AMAs a friend of mine put it: "No Turn on Japan"
What if you're listening to Turning Japanese?

Ah yes, the Vapors.  Brings back thoughts of younger days.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alex

A subtle sign, but the shield shape is great:

Interstate 95 south at Exit 8 in Virginia.

agentsteel53

wow - '61 spec US shields are actually quite rare in Virginia.  their staple cutout, since the late 50s or so, has been a slightly different shape - 16 1/2 by 16 1/2, as opposed to the standard 16 1/2 by 16. 

the last standard '61 spec (really, '26 spec) shield from Virginia was made in the early 50s, with the embossed border.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Kacie Jane

I agree that the shield is pretty, but shouldn't "exit tab is wider than the sign itself" automatically disqualify it from Best Of?

bassoon1986

that makes me wonder...do we have a thread on smallest exit signs?

spmkam

Being a CT native and daily traveler of the Merritt I always thought the exit signs look really neat

http://www.flickr.com/photos/therealkurumi/7769289520/lightbox/

CanesFan27

Ian

Quote from: spmkam on January 19, 2013, 09:46:38 PM
Being a CT native and daily traveler of the Merritt I always thought the exit signs look really neat

http://www.flickr.com/photos/therealkurumi/7769289520/lightbox/

Even though the font sucks, I agree.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

spmkam

what's so bad about it?

Post Merge: February 09, 2013, 02:11:41 AM

Oh wait the zero in 108 looks funny

Scott5114

Although it's not a legitimate road sign font, as a font, it's not that bad. I'd rather see that up there than Arial, for instance.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 21, 2013, 12:32:44 PM
Although it's not a legitimate road sign font, as a font, it's not that bad. I'd rather see that up there than Arial, for instance.

I wonder why they selected that font.  the original sawtoothed exit signs from the 1930s didn't have it, that's for sure.  they used something that, for 1938, looked astonishingly like 1945 Highway Gothic.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

I do agree that there are plenty of other fonts that are way worse, but I still dislike the font choice for the signs.
Youtube l Flickr

kurumi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 21, 2013, 01:06:19 PM

I wonder why they selected that font.  the original sawtoothed exit signs from the 1930s didn't have it, that's for sure.  they used something that, for 1938, looked astonishingly like 1945 Highway Gothic.

It's ITC Stone Sans demibold. A commenter for that photo notes that the designer was born in 1945, years after the highway was completed.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Michael

While looking through Doug's Flickr set for NY 5, I came across this neat sign photo from 2004:

Click here for the original photo page

I found the location of the photo in Street View, but the sign has been removed.  Note the post holes in the brick pavers in the center of the Street View image.

Ian

Took this just a few hours ago. One of the two Pennsylvania state-named I-676 shields I know of in existence. This one is at the base of the I-95 southbound exit 22 ramp, while the other one is mounted on a BGS near the Convention Center.
Youtube l Flickr

vtk

That green sign on the top has some minor issues...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Billy F 1988

Those issues including: Vertical kern spacing between each line, and too small of a direction arrow. That BGS alone would vie for Signs with Design Errors, not the shield assemblies below that.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Ian

Quote from: vtk on January 27, 2013, 02:20:04 AM
That green sign on the top has some minor issues...

The green sign does leave something to be desired, but I didn't post the image because of it...
Youtube l Flickr

PHLBOS

Quote from: PennDOTFan on January 26, 2013, 11:56:06 PM
Took this just a few hours ago. One of the two Pennsylvania state-named I-676 shields I know of in existence. This one is at the base of the I-95 southbound exit 22 ramp, while the other one is mounted on a BGS near the Convention Center.

Quote from: PennDOTFan on January 27, 2013, 03:26:10 PM
Quote from: vtk on January 27, 2013, 02:20:04 AM
That green sign on the top has some minor issues…

The green sign does leave something to be desired, but I didn't post the image because of it...
Something tells me that particular assembly has been knocked down once or twice over the last 20+ years (by an errant vehicle) w/the I-676 shield, the direction arrow below it and the LGS likley being the original signs given their condition (the faded red on the shield, the LGS appearing slightly warped and the graffiti-laden blue direction arrow) with all the other signage being newer.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

bjrush

Beautiful sign in Southwest City, Mo. Found this while turning around after photographing the AR 43/OK 20 dual state concurrency

What a day   :biggrin:

Woo Pig Sooie

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.