News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Those humpback signs in Bessemer are reminiscent of the OLD signs in NYC that my father grew up with in the '30s and '40s.

AsphaltPlanet

Great old font on this sign:
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Quillz

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 05, 2015, 07:53:16 PM

Don't really like the "1," since it is easily confused with something like "l" or "I," and the "6" seems to be standard Series D. Overall, though, it's a nice font, seems to be a nice mix between Series D and some custom glyphs.

PurdueBill

Quote from: Quillz on July 05, 2015, 09:55:57 PM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 05, 2015, 07:53:16 PM
Don't really like the "1," since it is easily confused with something like "l" or "I," and the "6" seems to be standard Series D. Overall, though, it's a nice font, seems to be a nice mix between Series D and some custom glyphs.

The context allows for minimal confusion, if any, between I, l, and 1 though--unlikely to be any numeral 1s smack up against letters (Exit 51I in Chicago notwithstanding).  In button copy, a numeral 1 would be a straight row of dots just like l or I anyway.

Bruce

Button copy, an unusual gantry, special Seattle Center icon, visible from a public park:

Sign gantry over SR 99 by SounderBruce, on Flickr

noelbotevera

Quote from: Bruce on July 06, 2015, 07:50:40 PM
Button copy, an unusual gantry, special Seattle Center icon, visible from a public park:

What's under Western Avenue? The patch on the white sign.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

ce929wax

Where was the Blendheim-Windsor sign located?

PurdueBill

Smart-ass answer: 16 km from Blendheim; 131 km from Windsor.  :D

More helpful answer: on ON 3 in Morpeth.

ce929wax

PurdueBill

(It's not technically ON 3 anymore, but I still call it all Route 128 and stuff too.  I happened to visit Ontario during the great downloading of routes and those crown shields coming down was sad really.)

Bruce

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 06, 2015, 08:44:38 PM

Not sure what would even be under there.

kkt

Just speculating, maybe it said "Seattle Center" or "Fairgrounds" or something like that?

jakeroot

mrsman

I think that there was nothing there.  The sign simply said TUNNEL CLOSED WHEN FLASHING.  But as people didn't know what to do with such knowledge.    :hmmm: 

so the DOT gave them a hint that they should exit right then and there if the tunnel is closed.

bassoon1986

a few old school green signs from around Louisiana. I miss the older all caps destination signs. First one below is in Greenwood LA at the US 79/US 80/LA 169 junction. 2nd one is on LA 1 south in Red River Parish just after US 84 joins.

And I really miss the old Corp Limit signs pre-Clearview days. Although the reflective signs have been an improvement.

cjk374

Quote from: bassoon1986 on July 09, 2015, 09:14:17 PM
a few old school green signs from around Louisiana. I miss the older all caps destination signs. First one below is in Greenwood LA at the US 79/US 80/LA 169 junction. 2nd one is on LA 1 south in Red River Parish just after US 84 joins.

And I really miss the old Corp Limit signs pre-Clearview days. Although the reflective signs have been an improvement.

I am with you on this Bassoon. Now the directional signs are being replaced with the smallest signs that you can hardly read going down the road. They suck!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

AsphaltPlanet

Nice button Copy in Ohio:
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

TEG24601

Quote from: Bruce on July 08, 2015, 12:03:46 AM

IIRC - There was nothing under that Exit addition.  They just assumed you would follow the other traffic onto Western Ave.  Unfortunately, at some point in the recent past (last 20 years) that didn't happen, and people started backing up onto the Viaduct, because they missed the exit, especially since there aren't any gates to stop you at the Tunnel.  I have a feeling the direction was added after the 2001 quake, as they started doing weekend long inspections of the Viaduct and the tunnel at that point.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

intelati49

Quote from: TEG24601 on July 13, 2015, 12:42:04 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 08, 2015, 12:03:46 AM

IIRC - There was nothing under that Exit addition.  They just assumed you would follow the other traffic onto Western Ave.  Unfortunately, at some point in the recent past (last 20 years) that didn't happen, and people started backing up onto the Viaduct, because they missed the exit, especially since there aren't any gates to stop you at the Tunnel.  I have a feeling the direction was added after the 2001 quake, as they started doing weekend long inspections of the Viaduct and the tunnel at that point.

Actually, with this one weird google search (Tunnel closed when flashing Seattle sign), I found the answer...

But yes, one of my favorites as well

kkt

Quote from: intelati49 on July 14, 2015, 03:22:55 PM
Actually, with this one weird google search (Tunnel closed when flashing Seattle sign), I found the answer...

:clap:

Jim

Quote from: intelati49 on July 14, 2015, 03:22:55 PM

You'd think I'd have remembered I had taken that picture when I saw this discussion and posted it myself..  Oh well, it was a long time ago (almost 16 years).
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

formulanone

Found this on break today in Vermont:

...and behind it:

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Quillz

Very nice! I've always wondered why yellow-on-black isn't a more common color scheme for signs, I've found it to be much more visible from a distance than black-on-white or black-on-yellow. The only signs around here that I've noticed in yellow-on-black are railroad crossing signs (when 2+ tracks are present).

6a

ODOT twittered this out today:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.