More than a neutered interstate sign

Started by jwolfer, December 07, 2014, 12:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

This is a eunuch interstate sign. Not only missing the state but the word interstate is missing. Its on the ramp to i95 SB from State St ( US 17/SR 228)

formulanone

Saw something like that last year, also in Jacksonville. At Monument Road and I-295:

Generic 295 by me

SteveG1988

At least it is mostly in-spec and is not a weird non cut-out, or a 2di on a 3di or a 3di on a distorted 2di.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jakeroot

I'm not sure why the removal of the state name would be considered neutering. At least the in strictest definition, neutering is to render ineffective. Certainly having no state name does not diminish the sign's usefulness.

1995hoo

That sign is a lot better-looking than DC's version. There are a few of these around town; this one just happened to be the easiest one for me to photograph.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on December 08, 2014, 02:06:00 PM
I'm not sure why the removal of the state name would be considered neutering. At least the in strictest definition, neutering is to render ineffective. Certainly having no state name does not diminish the sign's usefulness.

Neutering a dog doesn't make the dog ineffective. It is still a perfectly valid dog.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Pete from Boston

Neutering, making neutral.  No specific state, just a neutral Interstate shield. 

codyg1985

Tennessee does this in a lot of their blue 2/10th mile markers, but most people don't notice since they are so small.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

andy3175

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 10, 2014, 12:46:24 PM

Neutering, making neutral.  No specific state, just a neutral Interstate shield. 

Thank you Pete. That is the intended context and reasoning why the term "neutered."
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 10, 2014, 07:27:13 AM

Neutering a dog doesn't make the dog ineffective. It is still a perfectly valid dog.

I think the difference is that I'm using "neutering" in its verb form, versus the adjective form. The act of neutering is "to remove the force or effectiveness of" whereas something that is neutered is "lacking or having imperfectly developed or nonfunctional generative organs". In our case, you could argue that the state name is an organ and removing it makes the shield ineffective; I'm saying that the state name is not an organ (nor a generative organ) and removing it will not change its effectiveness.

Wait I think I'm OT.

Quote from: andy3175 on December 15, 2014, 01:32:30 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 10, 2014, 12:46:24 PM

Thank you Pete. That is the intended context and reasoning why the term "neutered."

The state of being neutered is to be neutral, but the verb form of neuter does not include the act of making something neutral.

Again, waaaay off topic at this point. And no I'm not trying to be argumentative.

EDIT 2: I think what I've missed is the point at which we've developed our own definition for "neuter/ed".

vdeane

I always assumed that the shields without the state name were called neutered in the roadgeek community to compare losing the state name to losing one's manhood.  People can be VERY passionate about that topic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alex

Quote from: jakeroot on December 15, 2014, 02:02:21 AM
EDIT 2: I think what I've missed is the point at which we've developed our own definition for "neuter/ed".

FWIW, the term has been around since 2000.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

That's FHWA being dicks and not allowing them to call it an Interstate.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

briantroutman

Likewise, the "Future 99 Corridor"  signs in Pennsylvania also lack "Interstate" .

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.