Most Non-Scenic Scenic Overlook

Started by Avalanchez71, April 06, 2021, 07:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrouse

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 06, 2021, 05:12:02 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2021, 03:44:43 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 06, 2021, 01:39:40 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2021, 08:20:31 AM
On I-5 north of CA 165 there is an overlook of the California Aqueduct.  I'm sure when it opened the builders were very proud, but it probably is the most dull scenic overlook I've encountered.

Could you point out where it is. I ask because I'm one of those people who finds vast expanses of plains to be awe-inspiring and not boring, and I'm wondering what I will think about this.

Pretty much where I described it, north of the CA 165 exit on the northbound lanes of I-5.  As for endless plains you aren't likely to see much given they are usually covered in Tule Fog or summer time crop dust or smoke.

Is it this? I ask because it is a good ways north of 165.

That's the one I referred to in my post that is near Crows Landing.

The one that Max Rockatansky refers to is here:
https://goo.gl/maps/E3XbBrkTKSwNKvad8

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jrouse on April 06, 2021, 07:18:48 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 06, 2021, 05:12:02 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2021, 03:44:43 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 06, 2021, 01:39:40 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2021, 08:20:31 AM
On I-5 north of CA 165 there is an overlook of the California Aqueduct.  I'm sure when it opened the builders were very proud, but it probably is the most dull scenic overlook I've encountered.

Could you point out where it is. I ask because I'm one of those people who finds vast expanses of plains to be awe-inspiring and not boring, and I'm wondering what I will think about this.

Pretty much where I described it, north of the CA 165 exit on the northbound lanes of I-5.  As for endless plains you aren't likely to see much given they are usually covered in Tule Fog or summer time crop dust or smoke.

Is it this? I ask because it is a good ways north of 165.

That's the one I referred to in my post that is near Crows Landing.

The one that Max Rockatansky refers to is here:
https://goo.gl/maps/E3XbBrkTKSwNKvad8

Frickety frack. That's actually what I meant. I cut and paste the link, but without changing it. My apologies.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rothman

Just recently, I passed the overlook on I-86 eastbound that overlooks a reservoir, complete with the dam, in NY's Southern Tier.

I suppose it has some scenic value, but couldn't help thinking if it as a view of a man-made pond.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on April 06, 2021, 11:58:26 PM
Just recently, I passed the overlook on I-86 eastbound that overlooks a reservoir, complete with the dam, in NY's Southern Tier.

I suppose it has some scenic value, but couldn't help thinking if it as a view of a man-made pond.

To me, a man made lake doesn't really hold a ton of scenic value.  About the only reservoir I've been to that I thought bucked that trend was at Hetch Hetchy in Yosemite.  That has way more to do with the tainted glacial valley than the reservoir created by the O'Shaughnessy Dam.  Granted I can appreciate a piece of engineering but it that isn't really "scenery."

US 89

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 06, 2021, 02:35:06 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 06, 2021, 02:13:06 PM
I could see this being quite interesting if you are not familiar with Utah.

I was thinking that maybe the emptiness is the view. There's so little things to see for such a long distance that it actually goes full circle and becomes interesting instead.

Exactly. The salt flats are something everyone should see once, and if you've never seen them before, they are fascinating - just white salt as far as the eye can see. If it's rained in the past couple weeks, they will be covered by a few inches of highly reflective water. And if that's the case and it's not too windy, it is impossible to tell where the ground ends and the sky begins, and any mountains in the distance will have a perfect reflection in the water. I have never seen this anywhere else.

That said, if you've seen the salt flats a few times already, the 40-mile dead straight drive between Wendover and Knolls really does wear down on you. There's a reason it's filled with drowsy driving warning signs.

Bruce

On WA-20 Spur, there's an overlook before Anacortes of a bunch of trees that block the mountains and the oil refinery (which would not be scenic, but at least interesting). Bit of a waste to not have a proper viewpoint there.

formulanone

There is a "scenic overlook" on I-10, just southeast of Junction, Texas, which offered no real view of anything.

The brush has overgrown any view that I was aware of (there was plenty to see on nearby US 377).

Avalanchez71

Quote from: formulanone on April 07, 2021, 07:15:51 AM
There is a "scenic overlook" on I-10, just southeast of Junction, Texas, which offered no real view of anything.

The brush has overgrown any view that I was aware of (there was plenty to see on nearby US 377).

It appears that TX 481 was US 83.  Wonder why they don't mark it as US 83 Business?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on April 07, 2021, 01:24:21 AM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 06, 2021, 02:35:06 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 06, 2021, 02:13:06 PM
I could see this being quite interesting if you are not familiar with Utah.

I was thinking that maybe the emptiness is the view. There's so little things to see for such a long distance that it actually goes full circle and becomes interesting instead.

Exactly. The salt flats are something everyone should see once, and if you've never seen them before, they are fascinating - just white salt as far as the eye can see. If it's rained in the past couple weeks, they will be covered by a few inches of highly reflective water. And if that's the case and it's not too windy, it is impossible to tell where the ground ends and the sky begins, and any mountains in the distance will have a perfect reflection in the water. I have never seen this anywhere else.

That said, if you've seen the salt flats a few times already, the 40-mile dead straight drive between Wendover and Knolls really does wear down on you. There's a reason it's filled with drowsy driving warning signs.

And for what it's worth the Salt Flats are better viewed off of I-80 at the Bonneville Salt Flats Race Track Entrance Exit:

https://flic.kr/p/Sbusvv

I-35

I wouldn't hold them out to be the most scenic views ever, but the four scenic turnouts in the Arbuckle Mountains off of I-35 in southern Oklahoma offered a nice respite from most of I-35's rather flat route.  They've all closed within the last 3-4 years - not exactly sure why, unless they were known trafficking or cruising stops and couldn't be patrolled properly or something.

Rothman

Quote from: I-35 on April 07, 2021, 05:33:40 PM
I wouldn't hold them out to be the most scenic views ever, but the four scenic turnouts in the Arbuckle Mountains off of I-35 in southern Oklahoma offered a nice respite from most of I-35's rather flat route.  They've all closed within the last 3-4 years - not exactly sure why, unless they were known trafficking or cruising stops and couldn't be patrolled properly or something.
A lot of states are finding rest areas to be boondoggles.  Rather shut them down than maintain them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

deathtopumpkins

That's not signed as a scenic overlook though, It's signed as a picnic area. Which it is.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

formulanone

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 07, 2021, 07:04:15 PM

That's not signed as a scenic overlook though, It's signed as a picnic area. Which it is.

Eh, I recall a sign mentioning "scenic overlook" in 2011. Maybe that's not the same one.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: formulanone on April 08, 2021, 07:15:00 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 07, 2021, 07:04:15 PM

Eh, I recall a sign mentioning "scenic overlook" in 2011. Maybe that's not the same one.

The GSVs from 2008 and 2011 show it was still signed as a Picnic Area back then.  https://goo.gl/maps/VXVsuw2gQoDny2wt6

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.