News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses

Started by Kniwt, May 23, 2013, 10:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kniwt

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Report-I-5-bridge-collapses-over-Skagit-River-cars-in-water-208758631.html

Washington State Patrol confirms an I-5 bridge over the Skagit River has collapsed and at least two cars with people inside are in the water.

picture at the link

KEVIN_224

vtk

I hate to be the guy whose immediate response to misfortune is to think about how it might advance a political agenda...

I hope nobody was killed...

...but come on, there's no good reason for us not to invest more in our infrastructure.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

rickmastfan67

Just saw this on my local news as well.  Crazy.  At least not as many cars as the I-35W collapse, but still, this shouldn't be happening.  Does anybody know if the bridge was under-construction like the I-35W one?

Big John

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 23, 2013, 11:04:13 PM
Just saw this on my local news as well.  Crazy.  At least not as many cars as the I-35W collapse, but still, this shouldn't be happening. 
I traveled across it and thought it was under-designed for an interstate bridge, so I suspect it was a repurposed US 99 bridge

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Big John on May 23, 2013, 11:07:13 PM
Just saw this on my local news as well.  Crazy.  At least not as many cars as the I-35W collapse, but still, this shouldn't be happening. 
I traveled across it and thought it was under-designed for an interstate bridge, so I suspect it was a repurposed US 99 bridge

I believe the bridge was built in the 50s, slightly predating the interstate designation.  And no, not under construction.

seicer

And not structurally deficient either.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 23, 2013, 11:16:03 PM
Quote from: Big John on May 23, 2013, 11:07:13 PM

I believe the bridge was built in the 50s, slightly predating the interstate designation.  And no, not under construction.

I heard on this live feed about the bridge collapse that it was built in 1955.

golden eagle

Just saw this on MSNBC. Hope there are no deaths.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on May 23, 2013, 11:16:38 PM

Some Tweets I'm getting are saying "functionally obsolete"...meanwhile KOMO 4 finally has a helicopter with live shots NOW.

Kacie Jane

I saw that term "functionally obsolete" being thrown around, and I'm curious, does that actually mean the same thing as "structurally deficient"?

Because a bridge can have four lanes of substandard width in a location that probably calls for six, be functionally obsolete, and still have the strength to stand for several decades.

Brandon

Quote from: sp_redelectric on May 23, 2013, 11:22:47 PM

Some Tweets I'm getting are saying "functionally obsolete"...meanwhile KOMO 4 finally has a helicopter with live shots NOW.

Functionally obsolete doesn't mean it should be in imminent danger of collapse.  It may merely mean a lack of shoulders.

Looks like it was a steel truss.  Anyone know if the structure was non-redundant, like the I-35W Bridge?

There does seem to be a detour route, looking at Google Maps along College Way, Riverside Dr/Burlington Blvd, and George Hopper Road.  Was Riverside Dr/Burlington Blvd there former US-99?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alex

Yes, 1955 per the non-functioning Nationalbridges.com:

QuoteA 1955 steel through truss bridge carries Interstate 5 across the Skagit River. The four-lane freeway leaves Mount Vernon and enters Burlington.
More photos at Interstate 5 North: Skagit County and Interstate 5 South: Skagit County

Big John

Quote from: sp_redelectric on May 23, 2013, 11:22:47 PM

Functionally obsolete means it can't smoothly handle current traffic loads or has geometric deficiencies such as narrow lanes or narrow/non-existent shoulders.  I agree that the bridge had geometric shortcomings.  And note that "structurally deficient" is more serious than "functionally obsolete" so if a bridge is both it is considered "structurally deficient", so that bridge had an acceptable structural rating.

Big John

Quote from: Brandon on May 23, 2013, 11:28:25 PM

Looks like it was a steel truss.  Anyone know if the structure was non-redundant, like the I-35W Bridge?

Like almost all truss bridges, this was also non-redundant

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

kkt

Yes, it had inadequate shoulders, and if space and money were available it would be nice if it were six lanes, but that's not supposed to mean it's in imminent danger of collapse. 

We already didn't have enough money for the new Evergreen Point Bridge, the new Alaskan Way Viaduct, and the new I-5 bridge over the Columbia, so we can add this to the list of needed projects we can't afford.

Big John

Quote from: kkt on May 23, 2013, 11:41:07 PM
Yes, it had inadequate shoulders, and if space and money were available it would be nice if it were six lanes, but that's not supposed to mean it's in imminent danger of collapse. 
The Functionally Obsolete label does not mean there is anything structurally wrong with the bridge, but makes it eligible to receive federal funds to modify or replace the bridge to bring it up to modern geometrical standards and to handle the design traffic counts.  Note that eligibility doesn't necessarily mean they will receive the funds if requested.

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

TEG24601

The bridge was originally built in 1953, as part of the PSH 1/US 99 Bypass of downtown Mt. Vernon and Burlington.  The bridge is a non-redundant steel truss bridge.  The bridge just passed an inspection, but was functionally obsolete, mainly because it was often jammed during holiday weekends, and was only 4 lanes without interior or exterior shoulders.  From what I recall, it was to be replaced in the mid-2000s, but that plan was shelved when funding was lost due to I-695, and most road funding was moved into fixing dangerous roads, like SR 20, instead of updating infrastructure.

It is only a matter of time before something like this happens on other bridges in Washington, like the entire section of I-5 through Seattle, which is basically a continuous bridge for 10+ miles.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

KEVIN_224

Is it fair to compare this collapse to the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis, on August 1, 2007? As soon as I heard this story, that's the first thing which came to mind. :(

Big John

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 24, 2013, 12:08:16 AM
Is it fair to compare this collapse to the I-35W bridge in Minneapolis, on August 1, 2007? As soon as I heard this story, that's the first thing which came to mind. :(
Unlike at I-35W, there was no increased loading from construction activities.  Otherwise it was similar as in it was a fracture-critical bridge collapsing with as little as one element failing due to no redundancy.

rickmastfan67

KIRO-7 just said that a wide-load semi might have hit a girder that made it collapse per a witness who was on the bridge when it happened.

EDIT: Now a DOT representative is saying it's very possible that a over-height semi hit a girder causing the bridge to collapse.

sp_redelectric

Some folks on Amtrak Cascades are upset, BNSF has held traffic from crossing their nearby bridge for an inspection before they are clearing trains...there's a Vancouver, BC bound train stopped south of Mount Vernon right now.

And I did not mean to imply "functionally obsolete" to mean dangerous or unsafe...about 56,000 vehicles per day cross the bridge but definitely a major route between Seattle and Vancouver, the two largest metropolitan areas of the Pacific Northwest.

rickmastfan67

On the KILO-7 feed, they are showing the truck that MIGHT have brought the bridge down.

EDIT:  Here are pictures of said truck that might have taken down the bridge segment.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.