News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-68 (National Freeway)

Started by jwags, February 21, 2010, 12:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwags

Is I-68 a great alternative to bypassing the PA turnpike if coming from Baltimore, MD and traveling west towards Dayton, OH and Indianapolis, IN?

Alex

Quote from: J-Wags on February 21, 2010, 12:53:02 PM
Is I-68 a great alternative to bypassing the PA turnpike if coming from Baltimore, MD and traveling west towards Dayton, OH and Indianapolis, IN?

Yes, Interstate 68 is a great ride west to Interstate 79 from Maryland. Considering the tolls on the PA Turnpike, I would take it as a way to get to Interstate 70 west from Washington, PA. Not to mention that Interstate 70 is woefully substandard in portions along its stretch between Interstate 79 and the Turnpike.

oscar

Quote from: AARoads on February 21, 2010, 01:48:06 PM

Yes, Interstate 68 is a great ride west to Interstate 79 from Maryland. Considering the tolls on the PA Turnpike, I would take it as a way to get to Interstate 70 west from Washington, PA. Not to mention that Interstate 70 is woefully substandard in portions along its stretch between Interstate 79 and the Turnpike.
I agree overall, but also woefully substandard is the stretch of I-68 through Cumberland MD (though nothing like Breezewood on I-70), and also the connection from I-79 back to I-70.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jwags

To get through Wheeling is it best to take 470 or 70?

Alex

Quote from: J-Wags on February 21, 2010, 02:31:18 PM

Interstate 470, take a look at the route here.

andrewkbrown

Quote from: AARoads on February 21, 2010, 06:41:24 PM

If you're heading west towards Dayton any time soon on I-70, I-470 is the only way, as the Westbound I-70 Wheeling Tunnel is closed.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

jwags

Quote from: AARoads on February 21, 2010, 06:41:24 PM

Last time I went there I went through the tunnel but it sucks because only one lane is through.

exit322

If the tunnel's opened back up on I-70, it's quicker to just go through.

Revive 755

If you don't pay attention to speed limits (like most PA drivers it seems), and on a somewhat tight schedule, I would recommend the Turnpike.  From what I've heard Maryland is very strict on speed limits and doesn't give any leeway.  That said, the only cops I've seen on I-68, having only been on it twice in one year many months apart - have been on the downhills before Cumberland (and not in the 40mph stretch, only in the 65 mph stretch).

If you want scenery, I-68 is much better and worth any extra distance and time.

As for I-70 vs. I-470 at Wheeling, I do not think there is much of a difference in time; granted I've almost always taken I-70 for the thrill of the tunnel and only taken I-470 straight through once to clinch it and get photos.

PAHighways

The section of I-70 from Maryland to Breezewood can be a Trooper paradise considering it's posted at 55, but they'll give you to 65 before they leave their hiding place.

As for Wheeling, I'd stick with I-470 because its speed limit doesn't deviate that much whereas I-70 through the city drops.

leifvanderwall

I do agree with the two bloggers that I-68 is a trooper paradise especially going westward just before Cumberland. I spotted three driving on 68  last November. Except for the tolls, there really isn't much difference between taking the Turnpike from I-68

froggie

I must be the exception, because I've never seen a trooper along I-68...

SP Cook

I-68 is a continious speed trap in Maryland.  Cops like to hide at the bottom of hills where you would have to ride the brakes to keep under 65, plus the crazy mid-design in Cumberland and the accompanying 35 SL.

In any event, to answer the OP's question, when 68 ends at Morgantown, do not turn north on 79 back into PA and hit 70 at Washington.  Rather, turn south and go down to Clarksburg then take US 50, which is now compete as a 4 lane all the way into Ohio.  The road is just as good, few cops in WV, and among the lowest traffic volumes east of the Mississippi.

Alex

When I clinched Interstate 68 in 2004, I was descending along a hill in western Maryland around the speed limit, when I noticed a trooper merging onto the freeway to pull someone over. At the same time, a car from the eastbound lanes was making an illegal U-turn from one of the median breaks allocated to official vehicles. The car making the u-turn drove slow and the trooper disappeared around the bend. A moment later, the trooper was standing outside his vehicle behind the car he just pulled over, and hand singled aggressively at the motorist who u-turned for he/she to also pull over.

dave19

Quote from: SP Cook on April 07, 2010, 07:46:23 AM
I-68 is a continuous speed trap in Maryland.
Yes, it is, and so is US 220 from I-68 to the PA line.

PAHighways

Quote from: froggie on April 07, 2010, 06:50:43 AMI must be the exception, because I've never seen a trooper along I-68...

I can count on one hand the instances since 2002 that I've seen them, and it was mostly where the limit drops around Cumberland.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on April 07, 2010, 06:50:43 AM
I must be the exception, because I've never seen a trooper along I-68...

I was on the route before it was I-68, and I remember very distinctly lots of Maryland troopers out of their cars, using handheld radar guns, along the former US 48 back in 1982.

These days, V1's are wonderful things. :-)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on April 07, 2010, 07:46:23 AM
In any event, to answer the OP's question, when 68 ends at Morgantown, do not turn north on 79 back into PA and hit 70 at Washington.  Rather, turn south and go down to Clarksburg then take US 50, which is now compete as a 4 lane all the way into Ohio.  The road is just as good, few cops in WV, and among the lowest traffic volumes east of the Mississippi.

Depends on where you are going. If your intent is to follow I-70 into Indiana and points west, I guess US 50 to US 35 to Dayton is a decent choice.

hbelkins

Quote from: dave19 on April 07, 2010, 12:08:44 PM
Yes, it is, and so is US 220 from I-68 to the PA line.

All 3 or so miles of it? ;-)

Speaking of, I was poking around the ARC site and apparently there will never be an extension of I-99 to I-68, or even improvements to US 220 in Pennsylvania. Seems that PA swapped that corridor mileage for another route and has pronounced existing US 220 as adequate.

http://www.arc.gov/images/programs/transp/adhs_status_report_2009/ADHSFY2009StatusReportPennsylvania.pdf

The relevant passage:

Corridor O1 (U.S. 322)
Section 1117 of TEA-21 added a 23.7-mile segment from Corridor O at Port Matilda to I-
80 near Clearfield which is designated as Corridor O1.  On November 9, 2001, ARC
approved the State's request to move the eligibility of an additional 3.0 miles from
Corridor U.  The total length of the Corridor O1 is now 26.7 miles. The ADHS eligibility
was removed from the 23.7-mile segment of Corridor O south of Bedford to the
Maryland state line and the segment was declared "adequate" .

mightyace

^^^

Of course, with PA scrambling for funds after their ill-fated attempt to toll I-80, who knows when they could upgrade the US 220 corridor even if they wanted to.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

hbelkins

Quote from: mightyace on April 08, 2010, 02:57:36 AM
^^^

Of course, with PA scrambling for funds after their ill-fated attempt to toll I-80, who knows when they could upgrade the US 220 corridor even if they wanted to.

Apparently this dates back to 2001 and the original TEA-21 legislation, but I had not heard about it until recently when I poked around on the ARC site. If I'm not mistaken ARC ponies up 80 percent and the state only has to come up with 20 percent.

dave19

Quote from: PAHighways on April 07, 2010, 09:18:24 PM
I can count on one hand the instances since 2002 that I've seen them, and it was mostly where the limit drops around Cumberland.
I've been travelling I-68 and US 220 through MD quite frequently over the last two years and have rarely made the trip when I did not see any troopers. They often have someone pulled over near exit 4.
I usually see one along 220 every time, too (yes, all 3 miles of it!)  :)
I got nailed on 220 just after exiting 68 - I started down that hill after you go over the bridge over 68 and was almost under the overhead BGS's when he came around the curve about a half mile down the road and hit me with instant-on (he was so far down the road I couldn't tell it was a police cruiser). That was the one time the radar detector couldn't help me...  :no:
Usually I'll see no cops in PA or WV but at least 2 in MD.

PAHighways

Quote from: hbelkins on April 07, 2010, 11:56:44 PMCorridor O1 (U.S. 322)
Section 1117 of TEA-21 added a 23.7-mile segment from Corridor O at Port Matilda to I-
80 near Clearfield which is designated as Corridor O1.  On November 9, 2001, ARC
approved the State's request to move the eligibility of an additional 3.0 miles from
Corridor U.  The total length of the Corridor O1 is now 26.7 miles. The ADHS eligibility
was removed from the 23.7-mile segment of Corridor O south of Bedford to the
Maryland state line and the segment was declared "adequate" .

That's why the exits for I-99 begin in Bedford.

PAHighways

Quote from: dave19 on April 08, 2010, 09:27:19 PMUsually I'll see no cops in PA or WV but at least 2 in MD.

I've had the opposite experience the last few times I have driven to Baltimore:  PSP hiding all along 70 north of the Mason-Dixon Line but nothing south...except speed cameras.

LeftyJR

Quote from: PAHighways on April 14, 2010, 09:43:15 AM
That's why the exits for I-99 begin in Bedford.

Jeff, how does this play into the US-219 upgrade that WV/PA/MD is fighting for?  With all the play on upgrading US-220 between Corridor H and I-68, why wouldn't they just upgrade all of 220 to four lanes betweend I-68 and Bedford?  It seems like they are moving the money around in ways that don't make sense?  Why do two corridors piecemeal?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.