News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Seeber Bridge work extended....

Started by brownpelican, May 19, 2010, 02:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownpelican

The La. DOTD announced Tuesday that work on the Judge Seeber Bridge (LA 39) over the Industrial Canal has been extended until June 1 because they found "extensive damage in the structural bearing areas supporting the motors and gearboxes."

Read more here:
http://www.dotd.la.gov/pressreleases/release.aspx?key=1353

[Removed unnecessary markup. -S.]

Alex

Saw a construction vms touting this work on LA 39 ahead of LA 47. Was wondering what it was all about. So when this work is underway, is the St. Claude Avenue bridge the only bridge open? We took that bridge for the first time yesterday.

brownpelican

Yes, the St. Claude Bridge is the only one open. The Florida Avenue Bridge was closed after Katrina. No one knows what will happen to that bridge, although the state had plans before Katrina for replacing the drawbridge with a high-rise span as part of the TIMED program.

Alex

Quote from: brownpelican on June 11, 2010, 01:00:55 PM
Yes, the St. Claude Bridge is the only one open. The Florida Avenue Bridge was closed after Katrina. No one knows what will happen to that bridge, although the state had plans before Katrina for replacing the drawbridge with a high-rise span as part of the TIMED program.

I remember that Florida Avenue Bridge project, I suppose Katrina killed the funding for that prioritywise?

Also looking at my photos, I noticed that this sign bridge was removed from Elysian Fields Avenue north.

UptownRoadGeek

I thought that the Florida (the blue one) was open as well.  I noticed last Saturday that the Claiborne bridge was open.
The sign bridge was replaced by a smaller roadside sign pointing toward Florida Ave.

brownpelican

I drove over the Florida bridge too Saturday. I didn't know it was open...Florida Ave. is jacked up though.

UptownRoadGeek

Judge Seeber Bridge closures set for Spring 2011 to avoid Holiday Season

"The newly revised work schedule was a collaborative effort between the DOTD, the United States Coast Guard (USCG), local officials, the community and contractor, Boh Bros. It will require a seven week closure and will begin in early April. The work is projected to be completed prior to the beginning of hurricane season, which is June 1, 2011...

...'The overall objective was to come up with a schedule that was in the best interest of the citizens that utilize the Claiborne Bridge the most — those in the Lower Ninth Ward and portions of St. Bernard Parish," said Michael Stack, DOTD District 02 Administrator. "The revised plan allows us to deliver the best project with the least amount of impact.'
"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.