News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Secret highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Stephane Dumas, October 07, 2009, 08:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Since a couple of months, Google maps marked some secrets routes like FL-91 (FL Tpk) and GA-400 secret series who identify an interstate corridor in Georgia. This time they marked another "secret route" number, NJ-444 more well known as Garden State Parkway http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.429766,-74.228182&spn=0.043905,0.10952&z=14

NJRoadfan

Interesting. They have the Palisades Interstate Parkway marked as 987C (text only)... even on the New Jersey section (its NJ-445 in NJ)

Duke87

Yeah, Google Maps seems to have gotten updated recently. Although, still not completely "up to date". I-99 west of State College still isn't shown as complete, and there is some sloppiness to the drawing (get a load of this), although the new US-15 freeway by Lawrenceville is now on there. Strangely enough, the part by Painted Post has been downgraded from freeway orange to local street yellow... and the new interchange with I-86, that was there before, is now gone.

Off of I-99, a new section of road which opened in my city (Stamford, CT) on July 2nd still isn't there... although a previous error which put Howard Road in a place where no pavement does, has, or was ever planned to exist is now corrected.

An interesting cosmetic change: when you zoom out far enough, non-interstate freeways are shown with thinner orange lines than interstates.
Italy, China, India, South Korea, Japan, Argentina, and South Africa also now have their own custom route markers for their national highways.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

wytout

I see that google is denoting some of our secret routes in CT but in a different way.  They aren't putting the State route marker symbol on the road, but writing it out in text next to the street name.  This link shows both Tunnel Road (Secret route 533) and South Frontage Rd (Secret Route 541) as their Street names PLUS "State Route 533" and "State Route 541" respectively. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=41.831976,-72.462258&spn=0.00598,0.013937&t=h&z=17
-Chris

Stephane Dumas

A bit off-topic since it's not in the Northeast area, Google maps also marked the secret numbers of the Kentucky parkways (KY-9001, KY-9002....) http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=fr&ie=UTF8&ll=37.387617,-86.888123&spn=1.466479,3.504639&z=9

Alex

This is what happens when people working on the maps are not cartographers or roadgeeks...

kurumi

The Google Maps update took care of a number of serious CT problems:
CT 173 continuing north to CT 185
US 44A in on Middle Turnpike in Manchester (never was true)
CT 83 in two places in Vernon (the real route and SR 527)
CT 66 and 322 overlap from Southington into Meriden
US 5 and CT 150 overlap into Meriden to I-691
CT 349 in 2 places in Groton

The new map is much better, though the secret route feature includes some interesting mistakes: State Highway 116 in Litchfield (was true before 1961)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

TheStranger

While unofficial, the freeways that connect the two segments of Route 16 here in Northern California (I-5 and US 50) are shown with the Route 16 shield as well on Google Maps...

However, Business 80 is just marked now as "I-80 BUS" in text (it had previously been marked as I-80, and before that, State Route 80, originally being marked just as Capital City Freeway) north of US 50/Route 99.  No mention of Route 51.

Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

I really like having hidden routes, old alignments, etc all signed.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Roadgeek Adam

The cat's out of the bag now. Google Maps made the best error I've seen in a while.

The abandoned Tri-Borough Road in Chatham for the never-finished Eisenhower Parkway is marked in its entire overpass and the diagram for the cloverleaf interchange (unfinished) is marked as well. Tri-Borough Road, which was supposed to be part of the Eisenhower Parkway is marked as "Eisenhower Parkway" for the portions that were constructed.

This is the biggest folly I've seen in a while there. (And I was looking it up just for an aerial)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Rover_0

I believe that earlier in the days of Google Maps (not street view), I remember seeing a US-39 shield in the Beaver, UT vicinity (it's still there since I last checked, at I-15 Exit 109, if you zoom in far enough)  :-D .  Other cases where Google Maps is inaccurate is that it shows UT-78 going all the way down from its western end at I-15 almost all the way down to Scipio, and UT-22 at its full UT-62 to Bryce Jct. (UT-12/UT-63) length .

As for a Utah road that has recently been updated, UT-38 was shown duplexed with UT-69.  In case you didn't know, UT-69 once ran from Brigham City to Logan (via Deweyville, near Tremonton), then was cut back to UT-30 (which was officially extended into Logan and east) in the 1970s. However, it was still a mere 15-20 miles from college town Logan, where Utah State University students would often take the time to drive out to UT-69 to steal the signs.  The sign theft became so bad that they had to renumber it UT-38 in the early 1990s.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

algorerhythms

Apparently in their most recent update, they borrowed a bunch of data from OpenStreetMap. I had a suspicion that was going on when I noticed that a lot of the errors on Google Maps were the same as on OpenStreetMap, though the one that convinced me was the alteration of "Van Vleet Oval" in Norman to "Van Fleet Oval." It appears that OSM had that error first and it worked its way into Google Maps from there. So if you find a bunch of problems with their maps (and you will), that may just be why...

More on the topic of the thread, in Google Maps' most recent update, they also started marking MD-61 (which in the real world is not marked with its number, just its name, "Canal Parkway"). However, they placed the number on the wrong street (Virginia Ave.), and they incorrectly labeled the actual MD-61 as "Wineow Street".

vdeane

Take a look at the State College area... Google actually went backwards in time with its data!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Stephane Dumas

Another place when Google went backwards in time, it's north of Elmira, before NY-17 was upgraded http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=fr&ie=UTF8&ll=42.153653,-76.810291&spn=0.010563,0.02635&z=16

and US-66 is now only marked in text in Alburquerque  :no: :-(

wytout

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 08, 2009, 01:39:50 PM

well if they're all signed they really aren't secret or hidden now are they  :)
-Chris

PAHighways

Quote from: deanej on October 08, 2009, 04:32:54 PMTake a look at the State College area... Google actually went backwards in time with its data!

Ironically, it's data has caught up after a 60 year lapse in other parts of Pennsylvania.

florida

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 08, 2009, 01:39:50 PM

Indeed, but it is nice if Google would be accurate when doing it.
So many roads...so little time.

vdeane

That's Google's biggest problem with maps: they don't care about accuracy anymore.  The move from NavTeq proved that.  These days the only thing I use google maps for anymore is street view.

They also added lot boundaries to the maps.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

MikeTheActuary

CT 540 lives!

CT401 also gets recognized.  However, they are behind MSN Bing maps in recognizing that part of Rainbow Rd has taken on the International Dr. name, or the existence of the International Dr. roundabout at the East Granby town line.

Roadgeek Adam

Correction. Google Maps ended using TeleAtlas and now has a problem request form where you can fix their data! Lots of cartography errors are normal again!
Adam Seth Moss

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on October 09, 2009, 09:00:00 PM
Correction. Google Maps ended using TeleAtlas and now has a problem request form where you can fix their data! Lots of cartography errors are normal again!

Seriously? Awesome! I might have to submit a few corrections myself (a few streets in the Richmond area disappeared during the update...).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Roadgeek Adam

Yep, I've reported almost 2 dozen errors in NJ and NY already - It is fun
Adam Seth Moss

algorerhythms

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on October 09, 2009, 09:00:00 PM
I don't think I have the time necessary to point out to Google all of the errors on their map that I've found so far...

rickmastfan67

They don't even allow you to report errors in Canada....

EDIT: Ok, I'll take that back.  That option wasn't there last night, but it's there now.... Wierd.....

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.