AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: signs that point out the glaringly obvious  (Read 2998 times)

zachary_amaryllis

• Just another guy who likes highway stuff.

• Last Login: Today at 09:33:36 AM
Re: signs that point out the glaringly obvious
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2021, 03:50:24 PM »

Not sure if itís a recent phenomenon, given that New Jersey has had signs for decades that remind you to obey the laws when leaving the Turnpike. Yes, Iíll obey local speed laws (or not) regardless of what road Iím coming from.

i haven't been om the turnpike since i was very young, but i seem to recall they were in lowercase. can't fault them for that  :bigass:
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 01:03:18 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2021, 06:11:48 PM »

"Water on Pavement in Heavy Rains" ...a staple of Southern Illinois:
Perhaps alerting drivers to potential flooding?  I'm guessing this sign means more than, "The road might be wet if it's raining."
Then "Road Subject to Flooding" would be less duh.

This type of sign isn't intended to alert drivers to possible flooding. It's to make them aware of possible ponding of water or standing water, and the associated hydroplaning risks, as someone else noted upthread. Kentucky uses "Water Possible In Road" or "... On Road" sometimes to warn of this. That is the type of hazard that can occur even if there is only a light rain and not flooding rain.

I identify as vaccinated.

J3ebrules

• Last Login: Today at 02:39:27 AM
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2021, 04:07:56 PM »

Not sure if itís a recent phenomenon, given that New Jersey has had signs for decades that remind you to obey the laws when leaving the Turnpike. Yes, Iíll obey local speed laws (or not) regardless of what road Iím coming from.

i haven't been om the turnpike since i was very young, but i seem to recall they were in lowercase. can't fault them for that  :bigass:

Yes! I remember several variations, but this is one of the older ones still extant (I believe), courtesy of alpsroads.net:

Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - theyíve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Mergingtraffic

• Last Login: May 18, 2022, 04:40:40 PM
    • My Flickr alias: MergingTraffic
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2022, 03:12:52 PM »

Yes! I remember several variations, but this is one of the older ones still extant (I believe), courtesy of alpsroads.net:

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

JoePCool14

• I'm surrounded by IDiOTs.

• Last Login: Today at 12:18:17 PM
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2022, 04:27:54 PM »

STOP signs.  :bigass:

Okay, okay. Maybe that's too obvious. Maybe a better example is adding a lane ends sign shortly after a lane merge sign (note: not a lane ADD sign) if there is a short acceleration lane.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
My Travel Mapping stats

tolbs17

• Last Login: March 31, 2022, 07:24:24 PM
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2022, 05:36:21 PM »

I remember seeing those. Do they still make those?

US20IL64

• Last Login: May 04, 2022, 09:28:34 PM
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2022, 04:13:33 PM »

Some people still do not understand not to sit and idle in RR crossings! There was an train accident one time that hit a few cars [luckily at slow speed] Drivers were using excuse, "but I couldn't move". Then why did you enter the RR crossing in the first place, when there is no room on other side!  :pan:

J3ebrules

• Last Login: Today at 02:39:27 AM
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2022, 11:52:04 PM »

I remember seeing those. Do they still make those?

I donít believe so. I havenít been at all the exits - at least not recently - but I canít think of any newer-looking signs that talk about obeying local speed laws. I think theyíre all 60ís/70ís holdovers.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - theyíve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.