News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

signs that point out the glaringly obvious

Started by zachary_amaryllis, December 24, 2021, 10:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary_amaryllis

have we really degraded to a point where we need signs to point out things that should be obvious?

i'm thinking things like 'don't stop on the tracks', 'motorists obey speed limit' (a local favorite), 'do not block intersection', etc.

is there ever a time where stopping on the tracks is ok? motorists should ignore the speed limit? it's ok to block an intersection?

or am i being obtuse.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 24, 2021, 10:20:13 AM
have we really degraded to a point where we need signs to point out things that should be obvious?

i'm thinking things like 'don't stop on the tracks', 'motorists obey speed limit' (a local favorite), 'do not block intersection', etc.

is there ever a time where stopping on the tracks is ok? motorists should ignore the speed limit? it's ok to block an intersection?

or am i being obtuse.

All of these signs have existed for decades, so it's not really a "have we degraded..." issue. It's always been an issue.

Mapmikey

I've always thought don't block the intersection signs appeared where people were routinely doing so and it was causing some sort of traffic issue.

People still do stop on the railroad tracks, often because traffic in front of them stops unexpectedly and the trailing car has no choice but to stop if they are following closely...but it is impractical to word the sign "Don't cross the tracks until the roadway beyond that is clear of traffic"

My favorite sign like this is in Texas where their work zones start with a sign that says "Obey all signs" which strikes me as odd because if obeying signs is something you don't do, won't you ignore this one too?

Dirt Roads

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 24, 2021, 10:20:13 AM
is there ever a time where stopping on the tracks is ok?

I like your thinking, but we are in the minority.  Motorists pull up and stop on the tracks all of the time.  I've been working at grade crossings and had to argue with the drivers to back up off the crossing (or otherwise I was going to call the Railroad Police so I could put them in jail personally).  I have no idea why they would do this in right in front of a railroad manager wearing a sports coat-and-tie.

A few months ago, I stopped short of the grade crossing on Swift Avenue near downtown Durham.  I was in the left turn lane for Main Street, and someone passed me on the right and stopped sideways on the tracks to squeeze in front of me.  I don't have any authority there, so I stayed calm and polite.  But I agree, that we shouldn't need to pay for signs telling people not to get run over by the train.

GaryV

We shouldn't need to put warning labels on coffee that it is hot, either.  But there's enough people out there that do stupid things.  And then look for someone with deep pockets to sue because "no one told me not to do that".

DenverBrian

I've always thought the "Freeway Entrance" signs in CA are kind of superfluous.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: DenverBrian on December 24, 2021, 01:54:50 PMI've always thought the "Freeway Entrance" signs in CA are kind of superfluous.

Bingo. If they already had an Interstate sign, what's the point of a freeway sign?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 24, 2021, 02:43:12 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on December 24, 2021, 01:54:50 PMI've always thought the "Freeway Entrance" signs in CA are kind of superfluous.

Bingo. If they already had an Interstate sign, what's the point of a freeway sign?

A ton of freeways in California are state highways.  Where the entrance signs really come in handy is in cities or old freeways where ramps aren't exactly super apparent. 

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: DenverBrian on December 24, 2021, 01:54:50 PM
I've always thought the "Freeway Entrance" signs in CA are kind of superfluous.

i can see it in some situations, where a street dumps you unexpectedly onto a freeway.. but not everywhere.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

wanderer2575

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 25, 2021, 12:23:42 AM
"LEFT TURN ON GREEN ARROW ONLY"

Not where it's an alternate to "No Turn On Red" at locations where a left turn on red onto a one-way road would otherwise be allowed.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 24, 2021, 10:28:13 AM
My favorite sign like this is in Texas where their work zones start with a sign that says "Obey all signs" which strikes me as odd because if obeying signs is something you don't do, won't you ignore this one too?
Isn't Texas the only state that treats yellow advisory speeds as speed limits? I think that may be a very subtle (and bad) way to note that.

lepidopteran

Some signalized intersections in NJ had "Wait for Green Light", or the abridged "Wait for Green".

Not sure, but I think the purpose of these was to prevent drivers from jumping the light in unfamiliar sequences like

• A 2-3 second all-red clearance interval
  • A protected, leading left for oncoming traffic
  • An all-pedestrian "Barnes Dance" phase
Other intersections used the phrase "Delayed Green Wait".  Perhaps that was to replace the first, too obvious, message?

formulanone

"Water on Pavement in Heavy Rains" ...a staple of Southern Illinois:

wanderer2575

^^  Makes sense if the intended message really is "Pavement is Rutted and Water Collects, so Beware of Hydroplaning."

Road Hog

Quote from: formulanone on December 25, 2021, 08:52:41 PM

Not only that but the little sign underneath says "Saline," which means it won't even freeze at freezing temperature. What a bunch of winter weather cucks!

J3ebrules

Not sure if it's a recent phenomenon, given that New Jersey has had signs for decades that remind you to obey the laws when leaving the Turnpike. Yes, I'll obey local speed laws (or not) regardless of what road I'm coming from.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: lepidopteran on December 25, 2021, 07:07:09 PM
Some signalized intersections in NJ had "Wait for Green Light", or the abridged "Wait for Green".

Not sure, but I think the purpose of these was to prevent drivers from jumping the light in unfamiliar sequences like

• A 2-3 second all-red clearance interval
  • A protected, leading left for oncoming traffic
  • An all-pedestrian "Barnes Dance" phase
Other intersections used the phrase "Delayed Green Wait".  Perhaps that was to replace the first, too obvious, message?

They're only to be used for the bolded reason.

jeffandnicole

It has to do with legalese. Especially in states where every possible light on a traffic light isn't defined in statute, this sign, in black lettering on a white background, makes it official when someone can turn left.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 26, 2021, 01:25:51 AM

It has to do with legalese. Especially in states where every possible light on a traffic light isn't defined in statute, this sign, in black lettering on a white background, makes it official when someone can turn left.

But the sign prohibits turning on yellow arrows. What if it turns yellow 1/2 second before you cross the stop line?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on December 26, 2021, 07:01:45 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 26, 2021, 01:25:51 AM

But the sign prohibits turning on yellow arrows. What if it turns yellow 1/2 second before you cross the stop line?

https://images.app.goo.gl/1B3M6fn9r5NxLrKv5

GaryV

Perhaps alerting drivers to potential flooding?  I'm guessing this sign means more than, "The road might be wet if it's raining."

hotdogPi

Quote from: GaryV on December 26, 2021, 08:44:27 AM
Perhaps alerting drivers to potential flooding?  I'm guessing this sign means more than, "The road might be wet if it's raining."

Both images above show a slight dip in elevation.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on December 26, 2021, 08:47:22 AM

Both images above show a slight dip in elevation.

W8-5 and/or W8-18 ought to take care of that.

DenverBrian

Then "Road Subject to Flooding" would be less duh.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.