News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What do you think are scams?

Started by kirbykart, January 06, 2023, 08:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 07, 2023, 07:26:32 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 07, 2023, 07:24:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 07, 2023, 07:20:15 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 06:59:31 PM
You sound like you need it so he's right. Take some deep breaths next time he's over and relax for once!

Can't, I'm a Federal Employee and get screened randomly.  Marijuana is still a Federal Schedule I narcotic and thusly would appear on a screen.  Likewise, I wouldn't allow someone to smoke a cigarette in my house either.

To be fair, the federal drug-testing policy is kind of a scam. It's led to a lot of government agencies being forced to contract out certain functions because it is entirely impossible to hire anyone qualified who tests clean. (Computer programming is the prime example–you don't have to be high out of your mind to do software engineering, but it sure does help you make mental connections that you wouldn't otherwise.)

I don't disagree, all the same I'm not risking my pension and 401k over some weed.  A nice tall can of beer is more my speed anyways.

Having a pension definitely adds an element to the equation a lot of people don't have. An employer cannot legally repossess a 401K, however.

My wife used to be a teetotaler for the same reasons as you, but eventually decided that the quality of life increase by using was worth the risk, since it does help her a lot with chronic pain. For someone like me whose only real medical need for it is as a sleep aid, I could probably do without. Still, though, I think drugs might have allowed me to tolerate my last job far better, perhaps to the extent that I might still work there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 07, 2023, 07:37:16 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 07, 2023, 07:26:32 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 07, 2023, 07:24:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 07, 2023, 07:20:15 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 06:59:31 PM
You sound like you need it so he's right. Take some deep breaths next time he's over and relax for once!

Can't, I'm a Federal Employee and get screened randomly.  Marijuana is still a Federal Schedule I narcotic and thusly would appear on a screen.  Likewise, I wouldn't allow someone to smoke a cigarette in my house either.

To be fair, the federal drug-testing policy is kind of a scam. It's led to a lot of government agencies being forced to contract out certain functions because it is entirely impossible to hire anyone qualified who tests clean. (Computer programming is the prime example–you don't have to be high out of your mind to do software engineering, but it sure does help you make mental connections that you wouldn't otherwise.)

I don't disagree, all the same I'm not risking my pension and 401k over some weed.  A nice tall can of beer is more my speed anyways.

Having a pension definitely adds an element to the equation a lot of people don't have. An employer cannot legally repossess a 401K, however.

My wife used to be a teetotaler for the same reasons as you, but eventually decided that the quality of life increase by using was worth the risk, since it does help her a lot with chronic pain. For someone like me whose only real medical need for it is as a sleep aid, I could probably do without. Still, though, I think drugs might have allowed me to tolerate my last job far better, perhaps to the extent that I might still work there.

I'm not necessarily opposed to using marijuana products.  In fact I used them somewhat regularly through high school until was 19 years old.  At the time started to become involved with jobs that that might randomly test for marijuana byproducts.  All I have really negative to say regarding marijuana was regarding the smell. 

Regarding 401k, to clarify I'm referring to the 6% half matching contributions I get right now with my current employer.  That's a lot of free money I'm not going to get anywhere else for what I do career wise.  Likewise my pension can't be taken away that I'm vested.  Another ten years is a short time to wait for a fully vested pension to hold off on smoking a joint or two.

MultiMillionMiler

The fact that is it classified as a "Schedule 1 Narcotic with no accepted medical use" alone is the biggest scam in the world. Literally every neuropharmacologist would disagree with that statement. It's about time states that still have tyrannical weed laws on the books get punished somehow by the federal government. Then again it's hard to reason with state governments that spend more on execution drugs than actual healthcare.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 07:48:32 PM
The fact that is it classified as a "Schedule 1 Narcotic with no accepted medical use" alone is the biggest scam in the world. Literally every neuropharmacologist would disagree with that statement. It's about time states that still have tyrannical weed laws on the books get punished somehow by the federal government. Then again it's hard to reason with state governments that spend more on execution drugs than actual healthcare.

At this point retirement is closing in more and more rapidly.  The way I see this marijuana debate (and a great many other things) is "not my battle."  I see no point for me in poking the marijuana bear this close to the end of my career and flagging positive on a random screen.

MultiMillionMiler

No sure, don't take the chance. This country is still in the dark ages when it comes to drug laws.

Rothman

Teetotaler here.  Never felt the need or urge to take illicit drugs.  All for reasonable drug laws and legalization of medically useful substances, but I have seen more harm come from friends who have gotten involved with harmful drugs than benefit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Regarding weed, intoxication in general is overrated and surely cannot be beneficial to one's health long-term, no matter the intoxicant.

The Morgans of Morgan & Morgan infamy have Kentucky ties. I'd never hire them as a law firm because they once employed former Kentucky Attorney General and House Speaker Greg Stumbo. He is literally one human being upon whom I would pour gasoline if he was on fire.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

I enjoy 2-4 drinks on occasion which gets me a mellow alcohol buzz.  I don't like feeling of being intoxicated much less drunk. 

MultiMillionMiler

I could never drink that disgusting stuff. I have never even tasted beer in my life and never will. If I had a dollar for every recorded Marijuana death in human history I couldn't even buy a pizza.

Max Rockatansky

How do you know beer is disgusting if you haven't tried it?

MultiMillionMiler

All alcohol is poison.

Let's compare:

Alcohol side effects: Brain Cancer, liver failure, heart disease, drunk driving crashes, domestic violence, over 700,000 deaths a year. Few medical benefits.

Marijuana side effects: Increased appetite, relaxation, anxiety relief, reduced epilepsy, non-addictive pain relief, chemotherapy suffering reduction, increased cognitive performance, euphoria, less than 10 deaths in all of human history, (if any).

Case Closed.

J N Winkler

I have ingested cannabis at second hand and decided it is not for me.  I didn't particularly care for the type of person I became when high on it, and it took about ten days for my armpits to stop smelling of burnt rope.  However, I generally support legalization.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

elsmere241

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 06, 2023, 05:16:28 PM
I feel bad for all the kids from lunatic families who only feed them "gluten free" stuff. I bet they protest GMOs though, despite them being a great source of Vitamin A.

If we have kids, that could potentially describe my wife.  (And she's really into essential oils.)

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on January 07, 2023, 08:16:59 PM
Regarding weed, intoxication in general is overrated and surely cannot be beneficial to one's health long-term, no matter the intoxicant.

I used to be of this mindset, but I've found many benefits to cannabis intoxication. The primary one is to creative work. With my inhibitions lowered, I am less likely to shut down an idea that seems to be "too hard" or "won't work". I've drawn plenty of things that when I was sober seemed like I had no hope of executing, but when high I just...did it.

Another is to housework and similar chores. When sober, I hate doing housework because I can't get my mind off of how much I'd rather be doing something else, and start to get frustrated and resentful that I'm wasting my time on it. When I'm high, I don't care, I just amuse myself with seeing how tightly I can pack the dishwasher or reorganizing the spice rack to be more efficient or whatever.

I can accept that for other people who have a different mindset or goals than me, they might not derive the same benefits I do.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kalvado

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 08:45:20 PM
All alcohol is poison.

Let's compare:

Alcohol side effects: Brain Cancer, liver failure, heart disease, drunk driving crashes, domestic violence, over 700,000 deaths a year. Few medical benefits.

Marijuana side effects: Increased appetite, relaxation, anxiety relief, reduced epilepsy, non-addictive pain relief, chemotherapy suffering reduction, increased cognitive performance, euphoria, less than 10 deaths in all of human history, (if any).

Case Closed.
What is your problem - epilepcy or cancer?

Max Rockatansky

All alcohol is poison.

Let's compare:

Case Closed.

None of this is an explanation for how you know beer tastes disgusting despite never consuming it. 

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: elsmere241 on January 07, 2023, 08:48:16 PM
I feel bad for all the kids from lunatic families who only feed them "gluten free" stuff. I bet they protest GMOs though, despite them being a great source of Vitamin A.

If we have kids, that could potentially describe my wife.  (And she's really into essential oils.)

Every gluten free food I have tried tasted absolutely horrible or upset my stomach. Don't do that to your future kids over paranoid fears. I ate so much junk food an
as a kid, still do sometimes, and my physical health is fine.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 08:59:02 PM

Every gluten free food I have tried tasted absolutely horrible or upset my stomach. Don't do that to your future kids over paranoid fears. I ate so much junk food an

So every potato chip you've ever ate has tasted horrible or made your stomach upset?

kalvado

Wow, I can understand you don't drink beer - but how comes you didn't try any apples, peaches and blueberries? No steaks nor potatoes?
I do understand why you need to get high with such a diet!

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 07, 2023, 09:04:19 PM

So every potato chip you've ever ate has tasted horrible or made your stomach upset?
That's what they get at maximum security solitary - bread and water... I wonder how 420 is sneaked in...

MultiMillionMiler

No, but that would explain why I don't like them.

Bruce

I'm a teetotaler because I'd rather spend that money on other hobbies. Or vices like sweets.

Speaking of, most American chocolates are scams. They're rarely worth buying at full retail price compared to their Asian and European counterparts. I can never go back to brands that use butyric acid.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 07, 2023, 09:13:31 PM

No, but that would explain why I don't like them.

Most beer has that gluten goodness you're after. 

Takumi

Like JNW, I have tried marijuana several times and have decided that it's not for me, but support it being legal.

I like the alcohol buzz. I do not like the feeling of being stoned.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bm7

There are many long-term side effects to marijuana usage including addiction, inhibited brain development, long-term memory loss, attention deficit, and an increased chance of developing mental conditions such as psychosis, schizophrenia, and depression. It might be less dangerous than other drugs, but it still has a lot of dangers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.