News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Control Cities

Started by geoking111, February 10, 2009, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: webny99 on August 31, 2021, 03:41:00 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 30, 2021, 04:24:03 PM
I never understood Jamestown as a control city on I-86. It's not that big of a place and is not an important intersection.

I'd use Corning, Binghamton, Middletown, and NYC eastbound; Middletown, Binghamton, Corning, and Erie westbound.

For I-86 eastbound, it would be kind of strange to skip over Jamestown in favor of Corning. Jamestown is not a big city by any means, but it is nearly three times larger than Corning.

Not really. There are no major intersections or decision points at Jamestown. Corning has the interchange with I-99 south and what should be I-99 north.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

While MnDOT's practice of using tiny cities at rural interstate interchanges is dumb as it is, it's even more stupid when the city in question isn't even featured on freeway BGSs.

For example, at the Lewiston interchange, you see "I-90 West - Austin" when you turn onto the freeway. You get on the freeway and are greeted with this mileage sign:

St. Charles          9
Rochester Exit   23
Albert Lea         81

:pan:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on August 31, 2021, 08:37:42 PM

I never understood Jamestown as a control city on I-86. It's not that big of a place and is not an important intersection.

I'd use Corning, Binghamton, Middletown, and NYC eastbound; Middletown, Binghamton, Corning, and Erie westbound.

For I-86 eastbound, it would be kind of strange to skip over Jamestown in favor of Corning. Jamestown is not a big city by any means, but it is nearly three times larger than Corning.

Not really. There are no major intersections or decision points at Jamestown. Corning has the interchange with I-99 south and what should be I-99 north.

Because – *gasp* – control cities are about navigation, not about population.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: jaehak on August 31, 2021, 01:05:59 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on August 30, 2021, 04:44:41 PM
If I'm leaving Denver heading east on I-70, where's the best place within the next 200 or so miles to stop for food/gas/hotel?

Seems that’s what secondary control cities are for.

Also, as previously noted, 70 across the plains is sparse, but it’s not like 70 in Utah. You’re never going more than 50 miles or so without passing a McDonald’s or much than 20 without a gas station. Chain motels at Byars, Limon, Stratton, Burlington, Goodland, Colby, Oakley, and on down the line.

You bring up a good point - it's why I've long thought we should take a page from Germany and sign two or three control cities, the first being oriented to navigation, the second the next major (PSA 500k+) city in that direction.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2021, 10:18:14 AM

I'd be OK with co-signing Jamestown and Corning between Erie and Jamestown.

I know Jamestown isn't at an interstate junction, but I maintain that it is strange to skip over it in favor of a much smaller city just because it's near a junction with an incomplete future interstate that isn't really relevant to most travelers heading in that direction to begin with.

jaehak

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 31, 2021, 02:42:09 PM
If I'm leaving Denver heading east on I-70, where's the best place within the next 200 or so miles to stop for food/gas/hotel?

Seems that's what secondary control cities are for.

Also, as previously noted, 70 across the plains is sparse, but it's not like 70 in Utah. You're never going more than 50 miles or so without passing a McDonald's or much than 20 without a gas station. Chain motels at Byars, Limon, Stratton, Burlington, Goodland, Colby, Oakley, and on down the line.

Longest gap between McDonald's on I-70 in the plains is between Colby and Hays - 109 miles. 
Longest gap between McDonald's west of Denver is between Fruita and Richfield - 213 miles.

Apropos of nothing, of course; I was just curious.

Chris

That would make for a good thread. Longest distance on a given road between McDonalds'. That Fruita-Richfield gap has got to be the favorite for longest in the country.

JayhawkCO

At least continental U.S. interstates.  Start the thread.  I can nerd out on pointless things all day.

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: jaehak on September 01, 2021, 12:19:03 PM
That would make for a good thread. Longest distance on a given road between McDonalds'. That Fruita-Richfield gap has got to be the favorite for longest in the country.

Even I-10 in Texas doesn't quite match it:  199 miles between Fort Stockton and Junction.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Longest in the continental U.S. I've found is 285 miles on US6 from Bishop, CA to Ely, NC.  There used to be one in Tonopah, NV but it closed.

2nd longest - 258 miles on US50 from Fallon, NV to Ely, NV.

Longest interstate span without a McDonald's: I-A1 from Palmer to the Canadian Border - 365 miles

Longest interstate span specifically between two McDonald's: I-A3 between Wasilla, AK and Fairbanks, AK - 314 miles

Longest state highway without McDonald's: AK11 (Dalton Highway) - 414 miles

Honorable mention for state routes: CO59 is 173.30 miles long and has no McDonald's in any of the cities it visits.

Rabbit hole concluded.

Chris

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 01, 2021, 12:23:00 PM
continental U.S. interstates.

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 01, 2021, 01:05:04 PM
US6
US50
I-A1
I-A3
AK11
CO59

Rabbit hole concluded.

But you didn't answer your own challenge.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2021, 01:11:24 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on September 01, 2021, 12:23:00 PM
continental U.S. interstates.

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 01, 2021, 01:05:04 PM
US6
US50
I-A1
I-A3
AK11
CO59

Rabbit hole concluded.

But you didn't answer your own challenge.

Pretty certain that I-70 in Utah/Colorado wins for continental interstates.  You already checked I-10 in Texas.  I glanced at I-80 in Nevada.  Neither qualify.  I figured I'd investigate other types of roads.

Edit - Close but no cigar is I-90 from Chamberlain, SD to Rapid City - 209 miles and I-94 from Miles City, MT to Dickinson, ND - 174 miles.

Chris

bassoon1986

Quote from: kphoger on September 01, 2021, 12:26:33 PM
Quote from: jaehak on September 01, 2021, 12:19:03 PM

Even I-10 in Texas doesn't quite match it:  199 miles between Fort Stockton and Junction.
Haha I just looked up that stretch, too.

iPhone

machias

Quote from: webny99 on September 01, 2021, 10:36:34 AM

I know Jamestown isn't at an interstate junction, but I maintain that it is strange to skip over it in favor of a much smaller city just because it's near a junction with an incomplete future interstate that isn't really relevant to most travelers heading in that direction to begin with.

I've always wondered why the exit for I-86 from I-90 in PA only lists "Jamestown" as a control city. It should list Jamestown and Binghamton or even Jamestown and New York (City). I wonder if the Thruway Authority asked PennDOT not to post any mention of New York City to encourage motorists to not shortcut across the Southern Tier and instead of the NYS Thruway.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: machias on September 01, 2021, 07:22:54 PM

I've always wondered why the exit for I-86 from I-90 in PA only lists "Jamestown" as a control city. It should list Jamestown and Binghamton or even Jamestown and New York (City). I wonder if the Thruway Authority asked PennDOT not to post any mention of New York City to encourage motorists to not shortcut across the Southern Tier and instead of the NYS Thruway.
Why would PennDot care about what the thruway authority thinks? Also, anyone with a map or GPS would know not to take the Thruway.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

roadman65

This is a new one.
https://goo.gl/maps/D6QBCxLWZC7hxKWK8
Montclair now instead of the usual Butler and Newark for NJ 23 southbound in Sussex County.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Exactly

Flint1979

Longest distance between a McDonald's in Michigan is probably in the U.P. somewhere. For an Interstate I'd say it's along I-75 and I'm assuming I-75 because the other Interstate's in the state are in the more populated parts of the state and there would be a McDonald's at almost every exit.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 01, 2021, 08:05:45 PM
Quote from: machias on September 01, 2021, 07:22:54 PM

Why would PennDot care about what the thruway authority thinks? Also, anyone with a map or GPS would know not to take the Thruway.

Corning or maybe Binghamton I can see, but not New York City.

NYC is over 400 miles away even via I-86, and even though it appears on Thruway mileage signs starting from the PA line, it isn't an actual Thruway control city until Albany. Also, I-86 isn't even the fastest route from Erie to NYC: I-79 to I-80 is about 15-20 minutes faster than taking I-86 to Binghamton, and taking I-86/NY 17 all the way to I-87 adds even more time.

hobsini2

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 23, 2021, 04:48:24 PM
Starting in Sault Ste. Marie and this is off the top of my head because I have traveled I-75 so much in my life.

Mackinac Bridge
Saginaw
Flint
Detroit
Toledo
Dayton
Cincinnati
Lexington
Knoxville
Chattanooga
Atlanta
Macon
Valdosta
Lake City
Tampa
Naples
Miami
I am a bit more liberal in my choices for I-75.
Sault Ste Marie
Mackinac Bridge (totally agree)
Grayling (secondary)
Lansing (SB as a secondary to US 127)
Saginaw (secondary)
Flint
Detroit
Toledo
Columbus (SB as a secondary to US 23)
Lima (secondary)
Dayton
Cincinnati
Louisville (SB with I-71)
Lexington
London (secondary)
Knoxville
Nashville (SB with I-40)
Chattanooga
Marietta (NB secondary)
Greenville (NB with I-85)
Atlanta
Montgomery (SB with I-85)
Macon
Valdosta (secondary)
Lake City (secondary)
Gainesville (NB primary/SB secondary)
Ocala (secondary)
Orlando (SB secondary to FL Tpk)
Tampa
Sarasota (secondary)
Ft Myers (secondary)
Naples (secondary)
Ft Lauderdale (SB secondary)
Miami
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 24, 2021, 10:38:32 AM
Quote from: thspfc on August 24, 2021, 10:36:18 AM
Flint is right: the pure size of a city doesn't have anything to with whether or not it should be a control city on a given route. However, the size of a city, in most cases, has everything to do with the factors that are important for control cities. Limon punches above its size, sure, but it is completely irrelevant compared to the state of Kansas, Kansas City, and a host of other cities along I-70's route between Denver and KC. Even Denver International Airport has more people coming in and out of it by car. It has more highways, more hotels, more restaurants, more everything. East of E-470 I can at least understand the debate for Limon, though it would still be my 5th choice.

I just don't see the need to use an airport as a control city.  The little airplane icon on the exits (which are plentiful in the metro area) to get you to the airport is plenty.

Chris
Some cities are better at this than others. But I digress.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 24, 2021, 08:07:05 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on August 24, 2021, 08:00:09 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on August 24, 2021, 07:55:10 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 24, 2021, 07:28:05 PM
But are control cities decided with out-of-state drivers, unfamiliar with the area, in mind either?  Or are they decided with local/regional drivers in mind?
Since control cities are selected by the state's DOT I would assume that they are decided with local/regional drivers in mind.
I guess it depends on the state then? Like control cities on Ohio's interstates are more "obvious" than those on New Mexico's interstates, even to the locals in each respective state.

Speaking of NM, for some reason, I'm fine with Gallup as a control city despite its size, because of the Route 66 song.
Ohio's are fine the way they are I think except for NYC in the Youngstown area I think Mercer should have been used since that is what PennDOT uses at the state line.

Michigan's are all what you would expect for the most part. I think signing Port Huron on I-696 is kind of lame, it should be Roseville or Warren or St. Clair Shores. Warren is the third largest city in the state (unless Sterling Heights has passed it in which case it would be fourth) and I-696 goes right through it.
But there again, in Warren's case, it is part of a larger metro area despite it being 3rd or 4th largest. By that logic, here, Naperville (I-88) and Elgin (I-90) should be control cities. Port Huron makes a ton of sense for those heading toward Toronto (in non pandemic times).

hobsini2

Quote from: kphoger on August 25, 2021, 01:57:48 PM
In the same general part of the country . . .

I-80, between North Platte (NE) and Cheyenne (WY) . . .

Is everyone fine with Sidney being the control city?
Personally, I would use Ogallala since it is the last town of consequence before the I-76 split.  But Sidney is fine.

Roadgeekteen

What about neither? Just sign North Platte and Cheyenne.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TravelingBethelite

Seems that's what secondary control cities are for.

Also, as previously noted, 70 across the plains is sparse, but it's not like 70 in Utah. You're never going more than 50 miles or so without passing a McDonald's or much than 20 without a gas station. Chain motels at Byars, Limon, Stratton, Burlington, Goodland, Colby, Oakley, and on down the line.

Just thought I'd chime in about the "chain motel" - there's one - in Byers. Stayed there on my last trip! Wouldn't hardly call it a chain motel save for the sign. They have a much larger, cooler neon sign for highway travelers with its original name: Longhorn Motel. But I digress.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

achilles765

Quote from: jaehak on August 30, 2021, 01:17:08 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on August 30, 2021, 11:45:02 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on August 30, 2021, 11:42:44 AM
Ok, changing the subject with what I suspect will be a very unpopular opinion. I think Temple should be a control city on I-35 in Texas. Its metro area has a population of 450k (btw, its core population is around 78k, about 10 times that of Limon) and it now has an interstate junction.
As a secondary one, sure. I still think Dallas (or Ft Worth) and Austin should be the only primaries in that segment, and Waco and Temple can be used as secondaries (minor interchanges).

Agree. Austin and the Metroplex are massive and not that far apart. Waco should be downgraded to secondary, and everything else between ATX and DFW should stay secondary (for now, if one of them blows up like Austin in the future than upgrade control city status then)

Waco and Temple/Kileen are pretty large cities that are growing...maybe secondary is good enough for now...
so the control city list maybe should be something like

Interstate 35 North:
Laredo
San Antonio
Austin
Killeen/Waco/Dallas-Ft. Worth
Dallas-Ft. Worth
Interstate 35 E--Dallas
Interstate 35W-- Ft Worth
Denton
Ok City
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.