AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Denver's I-70 may be rebuilt below surface  (Read 28372 times)

roadfro

• Last Login: Today at 09:53:57 AM
Re: Denver's I-70 may be rebuilt below surface
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2021, 05:57:11 PM »

CDOT's Facebook page has several pictures of the viaduct demolition which is proceeding relatively quickly.
When I was in Denver earlier this month, I had forgotten about this project until driving through the construction zone. It seemed like they were making great progress.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 05:04:28 AM
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2021, 03:51:11 PM »

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 10:09:20 AM
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2021, 12:04:34 AM »

I see in GSV the new westbound freeway is open for both east and west I-70 as it was filmed in July 2021. It shows also the old viaduct being dismantled, so I assume the new EB lanes will be put in its place then.
https://www.codot.gov/projects/i70east

I see the CDOT website has interesting information about this Central 70 Project.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

zzcarp

• Last Login: May 16, 2022, 05:37:37 PM
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2021, 12:52:11 AM »

I see in GSV the new westbound freeway is open for both east and west I-70 as it was filmed in July 2021. It shows also the old viaduct being dismantled, so I assume the new EB lanes will be put in its place then.
https://www.codot.gov/projects/i70east

I see the CDOT website has interesting information about this Central 70 Project.
That's great that it's now shown in streetview! Yes, the new roadway opened back in May (some of my pictures from then are here).

They've completed the viaduct demolition and are working to excavate the eastbound lanes. I'll try to get some pictures the next time I'm in the area in daylight.
So many miles and so many roads

thenetwork

• Last Login: Today at 08:27:48 AM
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2021, 10:18:03 AM »

Through a series of unfortunate events, I wound up flying to DIA yesterday.  Unfortunately my Denver co-worker took E-470 to our Warehouse in Westminster.  Wouldve been nice to see as I didn't have to drive.

zzcarp

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2021, 09:42:39 PM »

Yesterday afternoon, I had the opportunity to be in the neighborhood of the project at sundown. It was difficult to access the area of E 45th Avenue and Garfield Boulevard. With the road closures around, I had to access the site from a temporary roadway at the Colorado Boulevard and I-70 offramp. On the way back, I took some sundown pictures heading west on E 46th North Avenue from Colorado Boulevard to past York Street.

Here you see the new Cook Street overpass. You can see the depressed I-70 lanes and the nearly completed grading for the future eastbound lanes.

Westbound approaching the Steele Street/Vasquez Boulevard intersection. Notice under the left turn signals and behind the white truck is the Purina plant, a landmark from which the I-70 viaduct used to be just feet away.

At the Vasquez Blvd./"To Steele Street" intersection. US 6-85, which independently goes north from here on Vasquez and joins I-70 straight ahead, are conspicuously absent from signage at the intersection. I didn't even see a reassurance shield when I had headed north to 48th Avenue during the quest for my job site.

A stormwater detention basin at the northeast corner of 46th North and Vasquez (which runs on the left side of the photo).

Now at Clayton Street which is also the beginning of the covered section of I-70. The Purina plant grows closer.

Just past Clayton, a look into the covered section of I-70. One day this will have ballfields and landscaping. Today there's a job trailer and a bunch of picnic tables.

Still on the covered section, there is a small crane used to load/unload some long bundles of heavy rebar.

This is looking southwesterly at Columbine Street. This is the end of the covered section. Interesting that Kiewit, the General Contractor, has a sign for the "Cover Top Laydown Yard 4621 Columbine Street". In this day of GPS, they probably need a street address for all the trucks coming in and out.

Looking west at Columbine Street. The Purina plant is close enough to see the logo on the top. There are three signalized intersections in quick succession: Columbine Street and the one-way pairs of Josephine Street and York Street.

Approaching York Street.

Looking south on York Street, which is one-way southbound. With all the concrete work, it looks like there's a wide sidewalk and a separated bike lane planned on the left. The bridge and the Purina plant are on the right.

Crossing the York Street intersection as we begin the ramp under the railroad bridge. The BGS in the background is for the upcoming I-70 exit at Brighton Boulevard. We have our last view of the Purina plant silos at the far left with a concrete pumper truck setup in the background just to its right.

Under and after the railroad underpass, E. 46th North Avenue is separated from the I-70 mainline by a Jersey barrier. In the background is the Brighton Boulevard exit from I-70 which merges into E. 46th North essentially right as it exits.

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 05:04:28 AM
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2021, 10:33:56 PM »

This is going to be a really nice project once completed I only wish that they would’ve included more lanes.

MCRoads

• Damn, I missed celebrating my 500th post. Oh well!

• Last Login: May 09, 2022, 12:48:51 PM
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2021, 06:43:12 PM »

This is going to be a really nice project once completed I only wish that they would’ve included more lanes.

The people in this area were already pissed about how wide it was, and how many houses/businesses needed to be displaced. We’re pretty fortunate that it got as wide as it did.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
 4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

zzcarp

« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2021, 08:28:02 AM »

I drove eastbound through the project area Monday evening. While I couldn't take pictures since it was dark, I will note that the EB Steele Street exit has reopened and the EB exit to Colorado Boulevard is basically in its final configuration. It seems they've closed the temporary EB loop ramp from I-70 to Colorado but have left the temporary traffic signal there, presumably to still allow access to the neighborhood southwest of I-70 and Colorado. I expect that temporary access and traffic light to be abandoned in the first couple weeks after the New Year.

zzcarp

« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2022, 03:29:12 PM »

Bumping this thread with some new photos taken yesterday, 4/11, around 7:15 pm. All are EB I-70 between Brighton Boulevard and Colorado Boulevard.

This is looking east at the Purina Plant. Much of the excavation for the future eastbound lanes is ready. They're putting the finishing touches on the railroad bridge in front of the plant.

This is eastbound looking at York Street. The girders for the bridge over the future Eastbound lanes are set, and there's no deck poured yet.

Now east of the tunnel, this is the temporary ramp from EB I-70 to US 6-85/Steele Street. Per a notice on the VMS, this ramp will close for 3 months beginning April 15.

This is near Cook Street where traffic swerves back onto the final eastbound alignment. Notice the "Exit 276B" sign in the left portion of the median, making it appear that the whole freeway is exiting.

Now on its final EB alignment, this is the actual I-70 eastbound exit to CO-2/Colorado Boulevard. There's no exit ramp signage at the gore point or on a BGS right now.

SD Mapman

• The best pace is a pace, and today is a good day.

• Last Login: May 16, 2022, 03:58:53 PM
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2022, 10:36:18 PM »

Now on its final EB alignment, this is the actual I-70 eastbound exit to CO-2/Colorado Boulevard. There's no exit ramp signage at the gore point or on a BGS right now.
Went to the natural history museum (sorry, Denver Museum of Nature and Science) a couple weeks ago and almost missed that ramp due to the lack of signage.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.