News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Greetings from Maryland!

Started by Laura, June 11, 2010, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

Hello from Maryland! My name's Laura, and I'm a female roadgeek (which I learned at the Baltimore Road Meet last month is actually kind of a rare thing!) I've been lurking around here forever, so I figured it was about time that I signed up.

I've been completely obsessed with roads - and maps in particular - since I was three years old. Not only was I fascinated by maps, but I actually taught myself how to read the English language through them! I was a great novelty at family parties when I was a child - they used to ask me silly things, like how to get to the airport from so-and-so's house, and I would accurately tell them!

I'm good friends with Mike Pruett of MD Roads fame (he's floating around here somewhere) and so on many occasions, we've gone out and taken pictures of signs and old alignments of roads for the site. I'm obsessed with American history, and I love the sociological connections between the roads and how they developed America culturally. Why this road was built through this neighborhood, how building a road here opened up all of this land to development, etc.

I know that I've met some of you at the Baltimore Road Meet back in April (and will meet more of you next weekend in SE PA) but I'm glad to be here and finally meet road enthusiasts from all over!

Alps

Look forward to seeing you again next week!  Happy "coming out" from lurking!

Alex

Welcome to the board. You will find that many of us have similar stories from childhood growing up. I got my first map when I was eight and first road atlas when I was ten and have not stopped collecting maps since then.  :D

Ian

Welcome! I remember meeting you at Baltimore. I too have always liked roads and maps (Baltimore is when I first really started collecting the official state ones) but I always liked to draw roads aswell.

-Ian
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

MDRoads

Quote from: Laura Bianca on June 11, 2010, 07:24:59 AM
(he's floating around here somewhere)
I'm here Laura...welcome aboard.  Hope to see everyone in PA this weekend.

TheStranger

Quote from: AARoads on June 11, 2010, 01:12:00 PM
Welcome to the board. You will find that many of us have similar stories from childhood growing up. I got my first map when I was eight and first road atlas when I was ten and have not stopped collecting maps since then.  :D

I think that sounds almost like my story, give or take one or two years. :D

Welcome, Laura!
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.