News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cities with major streets named for states other than the state the city is in

Started by KCRoadFan, June 25, 2023, 03:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

When I saw the recent thread about cities and towns named for states other than the ones they are in, I was inspired to create this similar thread - about cities in which at least one of their major streets has the name of a state other than the one in which the city is located. Anyway, here are the ones that I know about:

Alabama Street and Louisiana Street in Houston, TX
California Avenue in Chicago
Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena, CA
Florida Boulevard in Baton Rouge, LA
Iowa Street in Lawrence, KS
Kentucky Avenue in Indianapolis
Louisiana Avenue in Golden Valley, MN (a suburb of Minneapolis)
Louisiana and Wyoming Boulevards in Albuquerque, NM
Massachusetts Street ("Mass Street") in Lawrence, KS
Michigan Avenue in Chicago
Michigan Road in Indianapolis
Minnesota Drive in Anchorage, AK
Nebraska Avenue in Tampa, FL
Oklahoma Avenue in Milwaukee, WI
Oregon Avenue in Philadelphia
Pennsylvania Avenue in Oklahoma City, and also in Baltimore
Tennessee Street in Tallahassee, FL
Vermont Avenue in Los Angeles
Virginia Street in Reno, NV
Washington Street/Avenue in many cities, including Indianapolis and Madison, WI (although in my opinion, that's cheating, because most streets named Washington predate the state of Washington and take their names from George Washington, for whom the state itself was named)

And while we're on this subject, we can't forget perhaps the most famous such examples of all: Pennsylvania Avenue, Massachusetts Avenue, Georgia Avenue, Wisconsin Avenue, Rhode Island Avenue, Connecticut Avenue, New Hampshire Avenue, New York Avenue, and many other state-named streets found throughout Washington, DC, as well as the various adjacent Maryland suburbs into which a number of them extend (Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Silver Spring, Suitland, Oxon Hill, and so on).

Anyway, those were the ones that came to mind for me. Any other examples that you can think of? I'm looking forward to seeing more!

TheHighwayMan3561

Not a major city, but in Grand Marais, MN the town main street is Wisconsin St.

Duluth, MN - Michigan St (probably named for the lake given proximity to Superior St, the city's main street)
Minneapolis and Bloomington, MN (separately) - Penn Ave
St. Louis Park, MN - Texas Ave
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bruce

Seattle has a few: California Avenue, Alaskan Way, Michigan Street, etc.

There's a long set of street names in the south end that are just states. Another intersecting set is just Washingtonian places (mostly counties).

GaryV

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 25, 2023, 03:38:20 AM
Duluth, MN - Michigan St (probably named for the lake given proximity to Superior St, the city's main street)
Also Michigan Ave in Chicago, most certainly named for the lake.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

roadman65

Atlantic City, NJ has state named streets. Hence Monopoly.

St. Cloud, FL has many states in its grid.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thspfc

Quote from: KCRoadFan on June 25, 2023, 03:09:55 AM
And Michigan St. Which makes sense because of Lake Michigan, but I would be interested to know why they chose Oklahoma . . .

hobsini2

Quote from: thspfc on June 25, 2023, 09:33:42 AM
And Michigan St. Which makes sense because of Lake Michigan, but I would be interested to know why they chose Oklahoma . . .
Pennsylvania Ave in Milwaukee is another one. 
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Ohio St - Chicago IL
New York St - Aurora IL
Oregon St & New York Ave - Oshkosh WI
Washington Ave - Madison WI (Named for the president but still.)
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

bing101

Georgia Street, Tennessee Street and Maine Street- Vallejo, CA
Texas Street- Fairfield, CA

Here are some of the major streets in my area that have a major street named after other states.

ilpt4u

Quote from: GaryV on June 25, 2023, 06:53:58 AM
Not sure about Chicago's Michigan Ave being named after the Lake and not the State. On the South side, S Indiana Ave is a block east of S Michigan Ave

Downtown Indianapolis has Ohio St, New York St, Vermont St, and Michigan St as the first 4 blocks north of Circle Center. First 4 blocks south of Circle Center are Washington St, Maryland St, Georgia St, and Louisiana St. Illinois St is the first block west of Circle Center. Going east from Circle Center are Pennsylvania St, Delaware St, Alabama St, New Jersey St as the first 4 blocls

roadman65

Pennsylvania Avenue in Linden, NJ was named for the former railroad it fronts, but nonetheless the PRR was named after the state.

Sheryl Crowe

SkyPesos

There's a group of them in East New York, which includes Alabama Ave, Georgia Ave, Pennsylvania Ave, New Jersey Ave and Vermont St. Alabama Ave is also the location of a subway station of the same namesake.

St Louis has two Maryland Aves: one in Clayton and another in Central West End.

DandyDan

Right here in Mason City, the north-south streets east of US 65 (Federal Avenue) are all named for states. Kentucky Avenue and Illinois Avenue are likely the most important of those.

Sioux Falls, SD has Minnesota Avenue.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

TheStranger

San Francisco has a section of Potrero Hill and Dogpatch with state-named streets (Rhode Island, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Missouri, Connecticut, Wisconsin, Kansas, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Tennessee).  Vermont in fact has an exit off US 101 just north of Hospital Curve (and right before I-80).

the most important of those streets though was the former Kentucky Street, which was renamed about 70 years ago to be an extension of 3rd Street south of King Street.
Chris Sampang

tdindy88

Quote from: ilpt4u on June 25, 2023, 10:35:01 PM
Quote from: GaryV on June 25, 2023, 06:53:58 AM
Not sure about Chicago's Michigan Ave being named after the Lake and not the State. On the South side, S Indiana Ave is a block east of S Michigan Ave

Downtown Indianapolis has Ohio St, New York St, Vermont St, and Michigan St as the first 4 blocks north of Circle Center. First 4 blocks south of Circle Center are Washington St, Maryland St, Georgia St, and Louisiana St. Illinois St is the first block west of Circle Center. Going east from Circle Center are Pennsylvania St, Delaware St, Alabama St, New Jersey St as the first 4 blocls

Michigan Avenue in Chicago IS named after the lake. Originally it bordered the lake itself before they infilled the land east of there to make Grant Park and so forth.

Also, the circle in the center of Indianapolis is Monument Circle, which I believe you referred to as Circle Center. Circle Centre is the name of the shopping mall in Downtown Indianapolis and is itself a block to the southwest of Monument Circle.

Scott5114

Pennsylvania Avenue in Oklahoma City

Of note is that nobody actually calls it this; in real life it's near-universally just called "Penn" (pronounced "pin" because of course it is). ODOT calls it this on their signs, too. The only one who writes out Pennsylvania is the city of OKC, and even they just put Penn half the time.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

paulthemapguy

This happens so much that there's no way we'll get an idea of the full scope with this thread, but we can point out some examples, I guess.  Many cities have a whole big cluster of streets named for the U.S. states.  (As a geography-head, I'll put in a series of state-named streets in my Cities:Skylines cities, too.) Some examples I can think of off the top of my head:

• In Urbana, IL, all of the east-west streets south of downtown are named for various states. I lived on Illinois Street, myself. Memorable streets on the University of Illinois campus include Oregon, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Florida. In fact, the east-west state-named streets are one way you know you're in Urbana and not Champaign.
  • In Quincy, IL, it's the same story as Urbana! I found it odd that the northern New England states lie closest to downtown.
  • Momence, IL, has the same thing going on!  East-west streets south of the central axis!
  • A neighborhood on the near north side of Aurora has some state-named streets. My brother once had a friend who lived on Iowa Street.
  • St. Charles, IL, has streets named for Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.
  • Frankfort, IL, has state names for its east-west streets in downtown, and they're all states out west: Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon, and Utah. I think those are the states that the rail line would have taken you to (maybe it still does). I think that's why the streets in Westmont, IL, are named the way they are--but those streets are named after cities.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Dirt Roads

Pennsylvania Avenue in Oklahoma City

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 26, 2023, 07:28:15 PM
Of note is that nobody actually calls it this; in real life it's near-universally just called "Penn" (pronounced "pin" because of course it is). ODOT calls it this on their signs, too. The only one who writes out Pennsylvania is the city of OKC, and even they just put Penn half the time.

In the days before the Interstates, Pennsylvania Avenue (US-119) was the main north-south drag in Charleston, West Virginia.  I don't remember any place where it was signed anything other than "PENNA Ave".  Nowadays, it is signed as "PENN Ave" and weirdly "PENNS Ave", as well as spelling it all out.  The name Pennsylvania Avenue (US-119) has been extended way out into northern Kanawha County, and much of the southern part rerouted onto Bigley Avenue (home of the infamous "Bigley Piggly Wiggly" (one of the few located in the Mountain State).

After the construction of the Interstate along this corridor, Bigley Avenue splits into two one-way pairs on either side of I-64 [west] of the Junction.  But once it turns towards the southwest, the name changes to "Pennsylvania Ave S" for the southbound side and "Pennsylvania Ave N" for the northbound side.  US-119 gets dumped onto this section of Pennsylvania Avenue at Exit 58B, but if you want to get to the "Bigley Piggly Wiggly" you might want to take Exit 58C instead.

hbelkins

Lawrence, Kan., has a bunch of state-named streets.

There's Kentucky Ave. in Norton, Va., which does not run toward Kentucky, but more or less parallel to the state line.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DandyDan

Holton, Kansas has US 75 run along Arizona Avenue.

Adrian, Minnesota, not far from where my mother grew up, has MN 91 run along Maine Avenue, as opposed to Main Street, or Minnesota Avenue.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

roadman65

Clark, NJ has New York Avenue.

Millburn, Maplewood, and South Orange in New Jersey have a Wyoming Avenue.

Lakeland, FL has a few streets named after states that aren't Florida.

Sheryl Crowe

Coelacanth

Not a major city, but in Grand Marais, MN the town main street is Wisconsin St.

Minneapolis and Bloomington, MN (separately) - Penn Ave
St. Louis Park, MN - Texas Ave

Maryland Ave in St Paul is a major artery
There's a Delaware St on the U of M campus
Mississippi St (certainly named for the river, not the state)
California St in NE Mpls

SP Cook

Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 26, 2023, 09:05:11 PM

In the days before the Interstates, Pennsylvania Avenue (US-119) was the main north-south drag in Charleston, West Virginia.  I don't remember any place where it was signed anything other than "PENNA Ave".  Nowadays, it is signed as "PENN Ave" and weirdly "PENNS Ave", as well as spelling it all out.  The name Pennsylvania Avenue (US-119) has been extended way out into northern Kanawha County, and much of the southern part rerouted onto Bigley Avenue (home of the infamous "Bigley Piggly Wiggly" (one of the few located in the Mountain State).

All good.  Also one of Charleston's other major streets is Virginia Street.  There is also a Virginia Avenue elsewhere in Charleston.   The street on the south side of the Capitol is California Avenue, and the state office building located across it is unofficially called "California Avenue" (its real name is the ultra-creative Building #4).  The Luna Park neighborhood has Ohio, Delaware, Maryland, Florida, and Wyoming streets (although the last one is probably named for the WV county).  All are at least major enough to mention.

South Charleston has Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and Florida streets, all in a row below the Rock Lake neighborhood.  It also has its own Pennsylvania Avenue, all are unrelated/unconnected to the ones in Charleston.

The Auburn Road neighborhood in Huntington has Michigan, California, Illinois, Alabama, Indiana, New York and Kentucky streets.    Yes, there is a sign at the corner of Auburn Road and Alabama Street.

Morgantown has a Virginia Ave, and several created street addresses for apartment named after colleges, some of which were in turn named for states.

Martinsburg has avenues for Virginia, Maryland, New York, Indiana, Illinois, Tennessee and Kentucky. 

roadfro

When I saw the recent thread about cities and towns named for states other than the ones they are in, I was inspired to create this similar thread - about cities in which at least one of their major streets has the name of a state other than the one in which the city is located. Anyway, here are the ones that I know about:

Virginia Street in Reno, NV

I'm pretty certain Reno's Virginia St is so named because it led to Virginia City, and not for the state of Virginia. And by my understanding, the city is not named for the state either.

Reno does have a semi-major street called California Avenue. I imagine this is actually named for the adjacent state, but cannot verify.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.