News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

DOT Tier List

Started by billtm, August 11, 2023, 11:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billtm

I am curious as to what people's opinions are of different state DOTs around the US!

I'm from Indiana and I recently moved to Georgia and I must say GDOT does not seem to take care of its roads as well as INDOT (but at least GDOT has state routes inside the I-285 perimeter while INDOT just left the roads inside I-465 to rot)
Among states that I have driven more than briefly in:

S-tier:
A-tier: KYTC, M(Maryland)DOT
B-tier: INDOT, VDOT
C-tier: I(Illinois)DOT
D-tier: GDOT
F-tier:

Max Rockatansky

There is no "S tier" in any form of governance. 

Rothman

I was thinking just today that I respect KYTC a lot for what they've been able to do, especially given their varied terrain.  Particularly thinking of the bypass of Mead Hill on KY 122 in this regard recently, but even older projects, such as the realignment of US 23/460 around Prestonsburg and the completion of "New 80" or the widening of KY 680, etc., etc.  They seem to be able to not have all their funding sucked into urban areas.

My perception is that NYSDOT is licking some wounds right now with being short-staffed in its regional design squads.  When NYSDOT turns that around, it'll be a contender.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

What are we tiering them on? Road quality? Signage quality? Control cities? A combination of everything?

Quillz

Historically, a lot of the standards that the (California) Division of Highways created later became national standards. If that means anything.

Bruce

WSDOT is B tier if you exclude Seattle and D tier if you include it. I-5 is a real mess.

Rothman

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 12, 2023, 12:51:31 AM
What are we tiering them on? Road quality? Signage quality? Control cities? A combination of everything?
Best acronyms.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

This discussion has been had before. Generally agreed outcome was this:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29130.msg2626525#msg2626525

billtm

Quote from: US 89 on August 12, 2023, 08:41:41 AM
This discussion has been had before. Generally agreed outcome was this:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29130.msg2626525#msg2626525

Thanks for finding that for me!

Sorry for creating a new thread on the same topic!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Quillz on August 12, 2023, 12:54:32 AM
Historically, a lot of the standards that the (California) Division of Highways created later became national standards. If that means anything.

The Division of Highways is probably going to be the closest DOT former or current that has a legitimate claim to "S Tier."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.