Traffic lights at interchanges where freeways turn into surface streets

Started by KCRoadFan, August 20, 2023, 02:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

For this thread, apologies for the maximum character limit in the title; what I meant to say was "Freeways that become surface streets upon crossing another freeway, and where the junction itself has traffic lights."

Anyway, that being said, here the main content of the post follows.

Near where I live, the 18th Street Expressway is a short freeway that carries US 69 through parts of Kansas City, KS, and is a southward extension of the street of the same name past the I-70 interchange. The freeway has its southern end at I-35 - right about where it crosses from Wyandotte County/KCK into Johnson County and Roeland Park - but the roadway itself continues further south and again becomes a surface street, namely Roe Boulevard.

What's interesting about the I-35 interchange, though, is that the road through the interchange intersects the ramps to and from I-35 at a pair of traffic lights, as if the road were a surface street all the way through; thus, traffic wanting to get on I-35 has to go through a light, even if they're coming from the 18th Street Expressway.

Throughout the country, where else have you seen such freeway interchanges where the intersecting road is a freeway in one direction and a surface road in the other, but where the ramps have traffic lights such that everyone getting on or off the freeway has to go through them, regardless of whether they're going to or coming from the other freeway or the surface street?

ran4sh

If the direct ramps to/from Briley Pkwy are ignored, then the I-40/Briley Pkwy western interchange (Nashville area) seems to qualify.

US 321 approaching I-85 in Gastonia NC comes close, but the freeway section of US 321 becomes a surface road about a mile short of reaching I-85.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

ran4sh

US 80 (freeway) becomes a surface street when it intersects Alt US 27 (freeway) in the Columbus GA area
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Road Hog

Before the old I-430-I-630 cloverleaf was reconfigured, I-630 ended at a traffic signal and became Chenal Parkway on the other side.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

GaryV

jp the roadgeek

I-787 (if you follow the number) becoming NY 787 after crossing ALT NY 7

I-684 becoming NY 22 after the latter joins after crossing I-84

I-291 in MA becoming Burnett Rd after crossing I-90

MD 295 becoming Russell St after crossing I-95.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

What about I-535/US 53 at I-35?  There was at least one light in that interchange and then US 53 becomes a surface street to go up the hill.

Eh, probably doesn't count.  Too early in the morning for this.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SEWIGuy

Prior to the interchange reconstruction a few years ago, this is how I-43 ended after crossing I-39/90 near Beloit, WI.

1995hoo

Do roads that switch back and forth between freeway-grade and what some people might consider "expressway"-grade qualify? If so, VA-286, the Fairfax County Parkway, might count. Its interchange with US-50 is a partial cloverleaf that includes two lights on the Parkway; the road is then freeway-grade (though with a 50-mph speed limit) for roughly five miles south to an at-grade intersection with traffic light at Popes Head Road (that intersection is to become a grade-separated interchange at an unknown future date). South of Popes Head, the road has at-grade intersections, some with lights and some without. The five-mile freeway segment between US-50 and Popes Head is where the incident occurred earlier this summer with the kid who lost control of a BMW at 120 mph, skidded across the median and the other side of the road, and slammed into a stopped cop car where the cop was writing someone a ticket for going 73 mph.

Edited to add–for those unfamiliar with the incident I mention, watch the video in the tweet linked below:

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 03, 2023, 03:03:40 PM
For those who haven't seen it (it's made the national news), there was quite the crash on the Fairfax County Parkway yesterday afternoon. The police car stopped a driver heading southbound for going 73 in a 50-mph zone. Then a kid in an M3 came along the other way going in excess of 120 mph. This happened just south of the interchange with Braddock Road.

https://twitter.com/FairfaxCountyPD/status/1653496310132101120
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Dough4872

PA 283 downgrades from a freeway to a surface road at the I-283 interchange near Harrisburg, the ramps from westbound PA 283 to southbound I-283 and from southbound I-283 to eastbound PA 283 have traffic lights along PA 283. PA 283 continues west a short distance and ends at a traffic light at Eisenhower Boulevard.

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 20, 2023, 09:15:39 AM
Prior to the interchange reconstruction a few years ago, this is how I-43 ended after crossing I-39/90 near Beloit, WI.

That situation has always been referred to as a 'Breezewood' in these forvms (after the highway junction at Breezewood, PA).  The I-39/90/I-43 interchange in the City of Beloit evolved into what it was and now the area of the city to its east, IMHO, has one of the hottest development potentials in the entire state. One close call on this on the OP's question on the subject in this thread for me is the über-annoying situation on US 10 on its east approach to I-39 in Stevens Point, WI.

I have never liked cross-country freeways dropping down to surface streets after crossing intersecting freeways, like US 151 at the East Towne interchange in the City of Madison WI, where US 151 becomes surface Washington St after interchanging with I-39/90/94 going southwestbound (One of the proposals currently being studied by WisDOT would correct that situation with free-flowing ramps for the freeway-to-freeway turns).  An even more stark example is on the City of Madison's southwest side, where one must pass through traffic-signaled interchange intersections at Verona RD to continue through in either direction on the US 18/151 freeway.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on August 20, 2023, 10:56:06 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 20, 2023, 09:15:39 AM

That situation has always been referred to as a 'Breezewood' in these forvms (after the highway junction at Breezewood, PA).  The I-39/90/I-43 interchange in the City of Beloit evolved into what it was and now the area of the city to its east, IMHO, has one of the hottest development potentials in the entire state. One close call on this on the OP's question on the subject in this thread for me is the über-annoying situation on US 10 on its east approach to I-39 in Stevens Point, WI.

I have never liked cross-country freeways dropping down to surface streets after crossing intersecting freeways, like US 151 at the East Towne interchange in the City of Madison WI, where US 151 becomes surface Washington St after interchanging with I-39/90/94 going southwestbound (One of the proposals currently being studied by WisDOT would correct that situation with free-flowing ramps for the freeway-to-freeway turns).  An even more stark example is on the City of Madison's southwest side, where one must pass through traffic-signaled interchange intersections at Verona RD to continue through in either direction on the US 18/151 freeway.

Mike

Not sure the end of I-43 or US-151 in Madison should be considered "Breezewoods."  In both cases, there is/was free flowing ramps to get from one freeway to the other without stopping at a light.  The problem is that these ramps have been tight cloverleafs with a lot of merge points.

TheHighwayMan3561

US 63 in Rochester, MN is a freeway to the south of US 52 with a signalized interchange at 52. 63 was rerouted off the Broadway Avenue surface street north of US 52 about 10 years ago at Rochester's request.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Bruce

If we're counting termini: WA 518 at WA 509 in Burien and WA 512 at I-5 in Lakewood.

WA 99 at WA 509 in Seattle is another case, where traffic continuing from the South Park Freeway to WA 99 must take a signalized left and marge onto the 1st Avenue South Bridge.

NWI_Irish96

The brand new section of US 31 NB at Benton Harbor becomes Main St upon crossing I-94.

US 31 NB at South Bend becomes Michigan St. upon crossing US 20.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

KeithE4Phx

In Arizona:

Metro Phoenix
AZ 143 becomes 48th St. south of I-10.
AZ 51 becomes Black Mountain Blvd. north of Loop 101.
Loop 303 becomes surface streets at both ends:  It becomes Cotton Lane south of I-10, and Sonoran Desert Dr. east of I-17.

Flagstaff
I-17 becomes Milton Rd. north of I-40.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Dirt Roads

Fair warning.  Wade Avenue Freeway in Raleigh becomes Wade Avenue after crossing the Beltline (I-440).  Probably the reason that this is the only freeway in North Carolina that doesn't carry a shield (Interstate/U.S. Route/NC State Route).

bing101

Vallejo, CA

I-780 western terminus becomes a city street in Vallejo called Curtola Parkway right after it pass through I-80.

johnandmegh

Not sure if this exactly fits, but OH-104 is concurrent with I-71 for a portion of time in the Columbus area, then splits off to the east as a freeway to connect to Refugee Rd in southeast Columbus...but going from I-71/OH-104 North to continue on OH-104 North, or going on OH-104 South to continue onto I-71/OH-104 South, both require passing through the traffic light-controlled intersection in the middle of this map:

https://goo.gl/maps/CbGqALtnXpXHZk3J8

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Rothman on August 20, 2023, 07:51:08 AM
What about I-535/US 53 at I-35?  There was at least one light in that interchange and then US 53 becomes a surface street to go up the hill.

Eh, probably doesn't count.  Too early in the morning for this.

There's another interchange on 53 at West 21st north of I-35, so the freeway doesn't technically end northbound at I-35.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

LilianaUwU

A-740 ends at a traffic light at Boulevard Lebourgneuf just north of A-40, with unnumbered Boulevard Robert-Bourassa continuing in its right of way.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

roadman65

US 15 in Camp Hill, PA changes at PA 581 from freeway to arterial.

US 22/30 transition to PA 60 near PIT at I-376 counts as what the OP is looking for.

I-70 to US 119 at the PA Turnpike in New Stanton, PA.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wanderer2575

In the metro Detroit area:

Both ends of the Southfield Freeway.  Northern end of the freeway (and terminus of M-39) is at the M-10 half-interchange in Southfield, while Southfield Road continues north.  Southern end of the freeway is at I-94 in Allen Park, while Southfield Road and M-39 continue east-southeast.

West end of the Davison Freeway at M-10 in Detroit.  Davison Avenue continues west to I-96 and actually a bit beyond.  (Plans in the '70s were to reconstruct this piece of Davison Avenue as a freeway, and the dogleg "hump" and interchange ramps on I-96 were built for it, but it was cancelled.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.