News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

SMF Busy... Forum Downtime?

Started by ZLoth, March 21, 2024, 07:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life in Paradise

So was it that the North Koreans, Chinese, or Russian hackers thought that the AARoads Forum was so important that they needed to attack or hold it for ransom?  And then when no one came up with more than $12.53 for the ransom that they decided to go back to trying to hijack medical/financial records?

Alex

Quote from: SectorZ on March 22, 2024, 08:48:15 AM
OK who did we piss off recently that's screwing with this place.

Is some Fin trying to relegate us to a lower-tier forum?

Russians is our guess

I fixed the viewing others profile option. I neglected to add all of the fields to the table I recreated. Fortunately I still have a copy of the old forum DB, so I just mimicked what was there.

Quote from: 1 on March 22, 2024, 08:37:18 AM
Unrelated question: Are these extra requests generating additional ad revenue?

No, the ad revenue for this month is 9% lower than it was at this time last month.

wanderer2575

Quote from: davewiecking on March 21, 2024, 09:57:33 PM
Seriously, I appreciate all the effort by the admins to get the forum back online.

^  What dave said.

1995hoo

I have to admit I couldn't help but wonder whether this was a repeat of "angry banned user throws tantrum."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 22, 2024, 09:07:05 AM
I have to admit I couldn't help but wonder whether this was a repeat of "angry banned user throws tantrum."

I was more imagining New Urbanists. "Angry banned member" wasn't even on my radar.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on March 22, 2024, 09:10:12 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 22, 2024, 09:07:05 AM

I was more imagining New Urbanists. "Angry banned member" wasn't even on my radar.

I was thinking in terms of a repeat of the incident last year that led to the forum being taken offline for a few days.

oscar

Quote from: Alex on March 22, 2024, 08:36:32 AM
The viewing others profile option should work now. I changed some things in the database last night and caused that.

I just accessed my own profile, and made a minor edit (apparently successfully).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Quote from: oscar on March 22, 2024, 10:00:59 AM
The viewing others profile option should work now. I changed some things in the database last night and caused that.

I just accessed my own profile, and made a minor edit (apparently successfully).

I just successfully viewed Oscar's profile, so the feature appears to be back.

MATraveler128

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 22, 2024, 10:18:55 AM
Quote from: oscar on March 22, 2024, 10:00:59 AM

I just successfully viewed Oscar's profile, so the feature appears to be back.

Seconded. I just viewed you and Oscar's profile and it's working for me too.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Hunty2022

I also viewed 1995hoo's stats page and oscar's posts page with no issue.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

ZLoth

Quote from: Alex on March 22, 2024, 08:36:32 AMThat being said, the forum database is still being flooded with call requests, so I may switch it into maintenance mode again until I can figure out what to try next...

Please give us some warning before the forum goes into maintenance mode. :D

And, thank you for investigating this.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Alex on March 22, 2024, 08:56:30 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on March 22, 2024, 08:48:15 AM
OK who did we piss off recently that's screwing with this place.

Is some Fin trying to relegate us to a lower-tier forum?

Russians is our guess

I remember in my first year of high school, and Huntsville City Schools implementing student laptops system-wide, someone, I believe a foreign government, attempted to attack Redstone Arsenal and wound-up hitting the city school system's network in the process, which made using the internet at school to do literally anything a slow and arduous task. I could very well see this being something similar.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Big John

Has wikipedia ever done this for someone challenging their site?

JayhawkCO

I like the theories, but I think the investigation has just shown some incompatible software versions.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ZLoth on March 22, 2024, 12:28:46 PM
Quote from: Alex on March 22, 2024, 08:36:32 AMThat being said, the forum database is still being flooded with call requests, so I may switch it into maintenance mode again until I can figure out what to try next...

Ok, we're going into Maintenance Mode @ 5PM on March 18th. Mark your calendar. :p lol.

Scott5114

Just so everyone knows, the wiki is on a separate server, so it will remain up during the downtime if you still need to get your fix of roads stuff.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alex

While there has been a spate of Russian IP addresses trying to create forum member accounts recently, the software compatibility is the issue with the current version of PHP that is the problem. As such, we will be switching the forum to maintenance mode tonight, likely after 9 PM EDT, to work on upgrading the SMF software to meet PHP 8.1 requirements. The result may be that the forum goes back to a default SMF template, as there are some additional PHP issues related to the Button Copy theme we have in place here. That said, the functionality of the forum should still be the same regardless of how it looks.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Alex on March 23, 2024, 10:11:03 AM
While there has been a spate of Russian IP addresses trying to create forum member accounts recently, the software compatibility is the issue with the current version of PHP that is the problem. As such, we will be switching the forum to maintenance mode tonight, likely after 9 PM EDT, to work on upgrading the SMF software to meet PHP 8.1 requirements. The result may be that the forum goes back to a default SMF template, as there are some additional PHP issues related to the Button Copy theme we have in place here. That said, the functionality of the forum should still be the same regardless of how it looks.
We may have to upgrade to the reflective sheeting theme ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 23, 2024, 02:44:52 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on March 22, 2024, 12:28:46 PM

Ok, we're going into Maintenance Mode @ 5PM on March 18th. Mark your calendar. :p lol.
March 18?  Yay time travel!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

The subject line has a certain song running through my head.

https://youtu.be/dWipTSreuaw?si=3UER2ripPoLLrGbH

74/171FAN

Everything seems to be working fine minus the emojis looking weird.

(I forgot Alex's comment on his own Facebook posts   :banghead: )
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 25, 2024, 04:34:43 PMEverything seems to be working fine minus the emojis looking weird.

(I forgot Alex's comment on his own Facebook posts   :banghead: )

Yes anything that references the regular directory from the temporary one will not work until things are finalized. The jumbled text for the emoji's is the result. This would also go for avatars and message icons.

Alps

I can at least see that certain features are working (putting most recent posts first, in my case) but others are not (showing unread posts - right now I see no differentiation). Wishing luck.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alps on March 25, 2024, 07:23:42 PM(showing unread posts - right now I see no differentiation). Wishing luck.

That seems to be working fine for me.

Unread Posts = All posts since you last logged.
Updated Topics = Unread posts that you're subscribed to (watching).

WillWeaverRVA

Looks like we're back? Everything seems to be working for me.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.