News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-24 reroute in Peoria

Started by Brandon, July 14, 2010, 05:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Just noticed this from the PJ Star.
http://www.pjstar.com/news/x104356442/City-to-study-yard-fee-road-change
"By a unanimous vote, the council gave Barber the go-ahead to pursue a feasibility study that would provide direction about a jurisdictional transfer of U.S. Route 24 and Illinois Route 29 to Tazewell County from the Shade-Lohmann Bridge to the Murray Baker Bridge."
There is a map of the reroute at the link.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

You can see the comments. Channel 31 pointed out they will lose a lot of state money. This is a city that dumped their animal shelter on the county because they said thye had no money and they just toss cash from the one state agency that has some?
I dont think we will ever see any 4 lanings on IL 29 or the road to Macomb as long as this city is in the equation

JREwing78

The city of Holland, MI did something similar with their US-31 business route. They wanted to increase parking in the downtown area by removing a lane (from 3 to 2) on the business route. MDOT wouldn't go along with it due to traffic volumes, so the city used a jurisdictional transfer, eliminating the signed business route.

So far, they haven't asked the state to take it back.

Alex

Did anything ever come of this reroute of U.S. 24 and Illinois 29?

A 2010-follow up article was posted on the city council's vote, which was basically so that parking could be permitted on both sides of U.S. 24 through the city.

Route 24 may take new direction to allow Peoria development

QuoteThe move, if approved by the City Council on Tuesday, gives direction to the city's administration to pursue making Washington Street a city street maintained by the Public Works Department. The estimated costs would be $563,669 each year for 20 years if the road is resurfaced and regularly patched.

The transfer is being considered so the city can move forward with narrowing Washington and allowing parking on both sides of the street while slowing truck traffic.

US 24 was still on Washington Peoria as of last Saturday

Brandon

According to the signage on I-474, US-24 runs along I-474 across the Illinois River to IL-29, and then northeast through East Peoria.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alex

Quote from: Brandon on March 20, 2013, 02:40:30 PM
According to the signage on I-474, US-24 runs along I-474 across the Illinois River to IL-29, and then northeast through East Peoria.

Both Bing and Google Maps show US 24 along US 150 through East Peoria and Creve Coeur and IL 29 across the Murray Baker Bridge to Main Street through East Peoria as well. This is what the graphic in the original article posted up thread showed proposed.

Double Checked today and yep Washington is relabled to IL 29 North

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.