News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-174 in Quad Cities once requested by Illinois

Started by Mapmikey, March 14, 2013, 08:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

As far as I can tell I cannot find any previous mention of this on aaroads or the 3di websites...

Illinois submitted a request to rearrange the interstates in Quad Cities in 1991...280 eliminated, 74 and 80 rerouted, 174 created

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/1991_07_16.pdf
It is 6 pages from the bottom.

iowa declined to request the same, so it didn't go anywhere.

Mapmikey

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Illinois should have suggested using I-88 instead of 280 for 80 but both states are stupid over this
80 should replace 280 ,74 should remain as is. Iowa should be offered 88 to 380 replace it and follow US 20 to 35 since they love the 2di over the 3di. The stub from 88 should become 188 and run down to Monmouth for a concurrancy with the 110 resulting is estatic joy in Quincy

hobsini2

Quote from: 3467 on March 14, 2013, 09:40:47 PM
Illinois should have suggested using I-88 instead of 280 for 80 but both states are stupid over this
80 should replace 280 ,74 should remain as is. Iowa should be offered 88 to 380 replace it and follow US 20 to 35 since they love the 2di over the 3di. The stub from 88 should become 188 and run down to Monmouth for a concurrancy with the 110 resulting is estatic joy in Quincy
Whoa chief. I-88 being extended to overtake I-380? You do notice that in the overall scheme of things, you would have 88 zig zaging by doing this, right?
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Alex

pianocello

Out of all the possible ways to eliminate the "bump" of I-74 and I-80 near Colona, this makes the most sense to me. Iowa shouldn't have the need to complain about the lack of traffic on current I-80, because there would still be a 2di there.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Revive 755

US 20 would be better as a new I-82 or I-84 since there is the chance the corridor could get extended to I-39 at Rockford in the far future.

Since the split routes may be returning with I-69 in Texas, maybe Illinois should try for I-80N/I-80S?

Mdcastle

I kind of think I-80 belongs where it is. Aside from the cloverleaf turn it seems to be the better through route having the rest areas and seemed to be straighter. How about terminating I-74 at the cloverleaf and the north south stretch becomes I-580.

hobsini2

Quote from: Mdcastle on March 17, 2013, 10:17:54 PM
I kind of think I-80 belongs where it is. Aside from the cloverleaf turn it seems to be the better through route having the rest areas and seemed to be straighter. How about terminating I-74 at the cloverleaf and the north south stretch becomes I-580.
Oh but that would be too easy. lol And Iowa would bitch about losing a 2di for a 3di.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

DandyDan

I'd personally do that route as I-880, since it does connect with I-280 on the other side.  I frankly have no idea why they thought it was necessary to extend I-74 through the Quad Cities to end on the other side.  At least on eastbound I-80 at I-74 in Iowa, they no longer tell you that's the exit for Peoria when the way you get there is straight ahead.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Mdcastle

We've made many trips through the area, starting on I-80 and transferring to I-74 for the drive to Galesburg. The way to do it is to not make any turns and let the numbers change, but it always confused my mother seeing Peoria as the control city and telling her not to turn there.

Brandon

^^ We usually use I-280 through there going between points west and Joliet.  The only reason to use I-80 through the Quads is to use the rest area on I-80.  I do wish there was one on I-280.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Revive 755

Quote from: DandyDan on March 28, 2013, 06:50:20 AM

I'd personally do that route as I-880, since it does connect with I-280 on the other side.  I frankly have no idea why they thought it was necessary to extend I-74 through the Quad Cities to end on the other side.  At least on eastbound I-80 at I-74 in Iowa, they no longer tell you that's the exit for Peoria when the way you get there is straight ahead.

But then Iowa is out of even x80's - IMHO I-880 should be held in reserve.

Could go with I-580, but have a short multiplex with I-80, then take the I-580 designation up the US 61 freeway to end at US 30.  At least this way US 61 could be posted at 70 instead of 65.

Super Mateo

These roads are confusing.  My destination is usually Moline, so I'm often "transferring" from 80 onto 74.  I think (ignoring political issues) that I-80 should be rerouted over the current I-280 and I-74 should be on the current I-80 from their bump to where I-280 ends.  Having them cross near Colona is better than having to follow cloverleaf ramps (and both routes do this).  As far as that stretch of I-74 leading north from the airport, it's not long enough to need an interstate number.  It can just all be US 6, unless there's some reason US 6 has to be on Kimberly.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 28, 2013, 05:43:22 PM
Quote from: DandyDan on March 28, 2013, 06:50:20 AM

But then Iowa is out of even x80's - IMHO I-880 should be held in reserve.

Could go with I-580, but have a short multiplex with I-80, then take the I-580 designation up the US 61 freeway to end at US 30.  At least this way US 61 could be posted at 70 instead of 65.

It would have to be I-580 anyway, according to how IDOT does even/odd 3dis.  With IDOT, if it doesn't return to its parent, it gets an odd first number (I-155, I-355 as opposed to I-280 with I-74, I-294 with I-80).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Eliminate I-280, run the interstates that "bump" straight through that cloverleaf, change the number of I-74 through downtown to I-274. Problem solved.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: hobsini2 on March 15, 2013, 09:05:02 AM
Whoa chief. I-88 being extended to overtake I-380? You do notice that in the overall scheme of things, you would have 88 zig zaging by doing this, right?

As long as the I-88 designation extends beyond a state line, I support it.

Otherwise it should be demoted back to IL-5, with IL-40 being re-numbered back to IL-88.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.