News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Old Traffic Signals

Started by Alex, June 21, 2009, 09:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: US71 on April 09, 2011, 05:12:07 PM
4-Way Flasher in Biloxi, MS

Looks like it had a big old four-way sign casing underneath. Anyway, I took these in Mount Vernon, New York back in April 2011.

That's at the intersection of South Eighth Avenue and West First Street.

BTW, who removed those images from DC?!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 6a on August 05, 2011, 02:05:45 PM
I was out taking pictures of other things and stumbled across this.  Admittedly, it isn't a traffic signal, but I think I can squeeze it in here.

There several of those signs are still hanging in Granville* (though they contain black text on a yellow background).
* - as of last year. Very seldom do I have a reason to travel through Granville.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

brownpelican

Jackson, Miss.

Columbia, Miss.

Alex

I am happy to report that this set of signals is still in operation on Holcombe Avenue in Mobile:

Pic from 11-13-03, drove by on Monday.

There are very few intersections in Mobile left with 30" signals.

US71

Sedalia, MO

Muskogee, OK
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Humboldt, TN

Non-working signal in Jasper, TX

Sallisaw, OK

Pleasant Hill, MO  Red on 3 sides (SB, EB, WB) and Yellow (NB)

US71

One more for now:
3-4 signal in Pineville, LA

Alex

A decommissioned one-piece four-way flasher in Mount Vernon, Alabama.

D-Dey65

Quote from: US71 on September 09, 2011, 10:23:37 AM

Sedalia, MO
I once took some pictures of signals like that in Central Park. The red one said "Wait." I don't think it's there now.

US71

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 26, 2011, 08:57:51 PM

I once took some pictures of signals like that in Central Park. The red one said "Wait." I don't think it's there now.

Fayetteville, AR had similar signals on the downtown Square until around 1970.  The Red (more orange) was WAIT. On the main signal it was R/Y/G and WALK

Some of the signals were mounted to the side of the pole, some were top mounted. Somewhere there are photos online.

Ian

Quote from: US71 on September 26, 2011, 09:04:49 PM
On the main signal it was R/Y/G and WALK

Kind of like this one in Green Island, NY:

Sadly, this piece of history has been replaced by modern boring signals.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

US71

More like what I posted, but with just a WALK.  The WALK was slightly larger than the R/Y/G

D-Dey65

These were just R(Wait)/G(Walk). It was in one of the walkways near Central Park South.

xcellntbuy

Given the photo of the four-light signal in Green Island, NY, I believe you will find many similar traffic signals in places like Cohoes, Troy and possibly Waterford.  Troy's more residential sections (Lansingburgh, comes to mind) may be a great place to find these oldies.

US71

Quote from: xcellntbuy on September 28, 2011, 04:47:18 PM
Given the photo of the four-light signal in Green Island, NY, I believe you will find many similar traffic signals in places like Cohoes, Troy and possibly Waterford.  Troy's more residential sections (Lansingburgh, comes to mind) may be a great place to find these oldies.

I'd love to see one of those in person

Ian

Quote from: xcellntbuy on September 28, 2011, 04:47:18 PM

Oh yeah, the Albany-Troy (and to a degree, Schenectady) area has a ton of old 4-way signals, though that was the only one with the WALK section on the bottom. I think the oldest one in the area has to be this Marbelite 4-way in Cohoes:

One of the reasons why I love Albany is the amount of old signals!

Quote from: US71 on September 28, 2011, 06:28:00 PM
I'd love to see one of those in person

They are a sight to behold!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

xcellntbuy

The adaptability of the old Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY traffic signals is truly amazing.  The most recent photo indicates that the nice dark green oldie has been retrofitted with LEDs. :clap:

PAHighways

Quote from: 6a on August 04, 2011, 04:44:04 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 04, 2011, 01:30:41 AM

To be honest, I only recall seeing traffic lights like this in Ontario. ;)

There are a ton to be found only three hours to your west :)

Or an hour to the east in Johnstown and Somerset.

US71

Canton, MS

And a close-up:

These sort of looks like 2 slightly different designs

busman_49

The signal that's more faded has visors that were cast as part of the door; the other one has screw-on visors.

D-Dey65

Quote from: xcellntbuy on September 28, 2011, 09:07:52 PM
The adaptability of the old Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY traffic signals is truly amazing.  The most recent photo indicates that the nice dark green oldie has been retrofitted with LEDs. :clap:
So that's why it has the LEDs. I thought it was a new signal being made to look old.

D-Dey65

Quote from: US71 on March 04, 2011, 07:49:28 PM

Clarksville, AR
The traffic signals on Portion Road(Suffolk CR 16) and Hawkins Avenue in Lake Ronkonkoma, New York used to have R/Y/G signals, but the red ones used to have the word "STOP" painted over the lens too... at least the westbound signal did.

US71

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 10, 2011, 09:49:40 PM
Quote from: xcellntbuy on September 28, 2011, 09:07:52 PM
The adaptability of the old Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY traffic signals is truly amazing.  The most recent photo indicates that the nice dark green oldie has been retrofitted with LEDs. :clap:
So that's why it has the LEDs. I thought it was a new signal being made to look old.

Winnfield, LA has 3 signals that have been retro-fitted with LED's

relaxok

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 12, 2011, 11:23:18 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 04, 2011, 07:49:28 PM

Clarksville, AR

Man that is a beautiful signal!

I always tell people about wanting to own a real incandescent signal assembly and they look at me like I have three heads

relaxok

Here is one apparently from Pittsburgh..

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.