News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

I say WAR-cest-ER.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

roadman65

When I think of Worcester, MA I often think of it being that famous brand steak sauce. :sombrero:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on September 26, 2015, 10:13:30 AM
Try not to mangle WORCESTER, MA. Of course it's WUSS-tur, but I've heard WAR-chest-ER a couple of times! :D
Wista.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on September 26, 2015, 10:59:10 AM
Try not to mangle WORCESTER, MA. Of course it's WUSS-tur, but I've heard WAR-chest-ER a couple of times! :D

People who say WOHR-ces-ter or WAR-chest-er deserve to be pointed at and laughed at.
Well, it's how it's spelled.

My boss keeps insisting the Rensselaer is pronounced rent-ler (despite everyone on the local radio stations saying ren-sler or ren-sell-ear).

And people think the Rochester area is weird for Chili (pronounced chai-lie).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

Quote from: vdeane on September 26, 2015, 11:01:31 PM

My boss keeps insisting the Rensselaer is pronounced rent-ler (despite everyone on the local radio stations saying ren-sler or ren-sell-ear).

Don't forget Schenectady, which apparently is pronounced as Ska-neck-tah-dee, or something like that.

I never said Glaw-ster or Wus-ster, but now I do, and that's because I heard people referring to them as they are pronounced and not how they are spelled, otherwise I would still say Glow-cess-ter and War-cess-ter.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Rothman

People who say WOHR-ces-ter or WAR-chest-er deserve to be pointed at and laughed at.

The weird thing is that I hear people talking about the "city" of Rensselaer as "rens-sel-er" and the Rennselaer county as "rens-sel-air."  Bizarre, as well as wondering how Rensselaer became a city with a population of less than 10,000. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ixnay

Quote from: Rothman on September 27, 2015, 12:31:41 AM

The weird thing is that I hear people talking about the "city" of Rensselaer as "rens-sel-er" and the Rennselaer county as "rens-sel-air."  Bizarre, as well as wondering how Rensselaer became a city with a population of less than 10,000. :D

One could ask the same of Coatesville, PA (also <10k).

Delaware has cities <10k, too... Seaford.  Milford.  Harrington.  New Castle.  Also Lewes and Rehoboth Beach (at least based on y-r populations).  OTOH Ocean City, MD is officially a town (of <10k y-r) and Mahanoy City and Dickson City, PA are boroughs.

SOMEbody get this back on topic!  Pleassse?!?!?  I don't have time.  Gotta get ready for church...

ixnay

Alps

Quote from: ixnay on September 27, 2015, 09:11:02 AM

One could ask the same of Coatesville, PA (also <10k).

Delaware has cities <10k, too... Seaford.  Milford.  Harrington.  New Castle.  Also Lewes and Rehoboth Beach (at least based on y-r populations).  OTOH Ocean City, MD is officially a town (of <10k y-r) and Mahanoy City and Dickson City, PA are boroughs.

SOMEbody get this back on topic!  Pleassse?!?!?  I don't have time.  Gotta get ready for church...

ixnay
Corbin City, NJ. Bam. On topic.

SidS1045

Quote from: Alps on September 26, 2015, 03:17:34 PM
Wista.

There's someone driving around central Massachusetts with a vanity plate containing the exact pronunciation used by the locals:  WUSTA

(I lived there for 21 years.)
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

spooky

The polytechnic institute to the north prefers the "rens-sel-air" (or maybe more like "ren-sel-ear") pronunciation, although most still simply prefer "RPI".

jeffandnicole

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/09/6_huge_nj_transportation_projects_that_never_got_built.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

"6 huge N.J. transportation projects that never got built"

Honestly, the article kinda sucks.

The first project listed is the one everyone knows and loathes....the missing I-95 link The Philly-Camden Aerial Tram.  Why this project is even listed is kinda a question mark.  Not really sure anyone would've called it a *huge* transportation project!

They also missed NJ 18's southern 6 miles, not to mention what could be dozens of other projects.

And I never realized NJ had a monorail commission!

dgolub

On the topic of surprising pronunciations in Massachusetts, there's also Concord, which is pronounced like "conquered."  When I was a kid, my father went into a gas station to ask for directions on how to get there and was angrily told, "Concorde is a jet, and it's spelled with a 'E.'  You want to go to Concord."

SidS1045

Quote from: dgolub on September 28, 2015, 08:45:40 AM
On the topic of surprising pronunciations in Massachusetts, there's also Concord, which is pronounced like "conquered."  When I was a kid, my father went into a gas station to ask for directions on how to get there and was angrily told, "Concorde is a jet, and it's spelled with a 'E.'  You want to go to Concord."

Sorry, not even close.  To the locals, it's CON-kid.

The basic rule of Boston-area pronunciation:  If there's an R in the word, act as if it doesn't exist.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

AMLNet49

Quote from: SidS1045 on September 28, 2015, 10:07:59 AM

The basic rule of Boston-area pronunciation:  If there's an R in the word, act as if it doesn't exist.

Not true. The dropping the "R" is an accent-related thing, NOT pronunciation related. Anyone who lives in the Boston area without a Boston accent calls the town "Con-kerd" (indeed not pronounced like the jet Concorde). Now if the person saying it has a Boston accent, it will come out sounding like "Con-kid", but that's because their accent has them drop their "R"s. If you're not from here and don't have a Boston accent and you say "Con-kid" you will get stared at and maybe worse because it will sound insulting. "Wuss-ter" "Gloss-ter" "Con-kerd" "Kelms-ferd" "Bill-rika"

Pete from Boston

Quote from: AMLNet49 on September 28, 2015, 10:39:52 AM

Not true. The dropping the "R" is an accent-related thing, NOT pronunciation related. Anyone who lives in the Boston area without a Boston accent calls the town "Con-kerd" (indeed not pronounced like the jet Concorde). Now if the person saying it has a Boston accent, it will come out sounding like "Con-kid", but that's because their accent has them drop their "R"s. If you're not from here and don't have a Boston accent and you say "Con-kid" you will get stared at and maybe worse because it will sound insulting. "Wuss-ter" "Gloss-ter" "Con-kerd" "Kelms-ferd" "Bill-rika"

I've been trying to leave this alone because none of it is about New Jersey, but... "Kelms-ferd"? 

iPhone

AMLNet49

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 28, 2015, 10:46:08 AM

Quote from: AMLNet49 on September 28, 2015, 10:39:52 AM

I've been trying to leave this alone because none of it is about New Jersey, but... "Kelms-ferd"? 

iPhone

Should have written Chelms-ferd, I always say it with the hard Ch which is wrong, the main point was to illustrate that it's not Chelms-fid. It might sound like that if someone has an accent but that's not what they are trying to say.

noelbotevera

Dragging this back on topic, does New Jersey have a mileage cap on state highways like Indiana? I haven't seen a map that's recent enough of NJ to see new additions. It seems like nothing's been added.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

Zeffy

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 28, 2015, 10:09:35 PM
Dragging this back on topic, does New Jersey have a mileage cap on state highways like Indiana? I haven't seen a map that's recent enough of NJ to see new additions. It seems like nothing's been added.

New Jersey doesn't really have the space to build new highways... I would think the newest addition of any state highway would be NJ 133, but I could be wrong.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cl94

Quote from: Zeffy on September 28, 2015, 10:21:24 PM

New Jersey doesn't really have the space to build new highways... I would think the newest addition of any state highway would be NJ 133, but I could be wrong.

Agree completely. An astounding percentage of land in New Jersey is developed, protected, or not suited to development (i.e. a mountain). There are farms, but the road network is so dense as it is that the only road additions would be in subdivisions or minor enough to be county-maintained. If there's a tree in New Jersey, chances are you can't build there (and there's not a lot of uninterrupted farmland).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cl94 on September 28, 2015, 10:32:34 PM

One could possibly argue the missing link of 29, which is now mostly the Trenton Tunnel, was built after 133 was completed.

QuoteAgree completely. An astounding percentage of land in New Jersey is developed, protected, or not suited to development (i.e. a mountain). There are farms, but the road network is so dense as it is that the only road additions would be in subdivisions or minor enough to be county-maintained. If there's a tree in New Jersey, chances are you can't build there (and there's not a lot of uninterrupted farmland).

Oh, if there's trees, developers can take it over and build. But if the state wanted to add a little pavement, then the bike freaks come out...ignoring the acres of pavement the developers just put down.

There are some widening projects, and the NJTA just built what is practically a new 25 mile long highway with 3 lanes in each direction.  And the cinco-annual "Let's complete Route 55" plea happened this year too.

So it's not a matter of a limit on state highways; it's just as has been mentioned above - there's really not much room to build new roads, and there really isn't much demand for new highways either.

Alps

Dude, you live in Hillsborough. You know exactly where the newest addition is. (Until the bypass is completed and 206 is de-designated.)

Zeffy

Quote from: Alps on September 28, 2015, 11:37:54 PM

Dude, you live in Hillsborough. You know exactly where the newest addition is. (Until the bypass is completed and 206 is de-designated.)

I meant state (NJ) highways only.  :-P

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on September 28, 2015, 11:40:25 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 28, 2015, 11:37:54 PM

I meant state (NJ) highways only.  :-P
SR 206 :-P

dgolub

NJ 18 is currently getting extended up to I-287.

noelbotevera

Quote from: dgolub on September 29, 2015, 08:01:29 PM
NJ 18 is currently getting extended up to I-287.
Hasn't it ended at I-287 for the last couple years?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.