News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

Yes, NJ-18 signs have been up on Hoes Ln. and Centennial Ave. since the fall. The project only took double the estimated time to complete and didn't even involve major interchange construction.

dgolub

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 18, 2016, 03:30:41 PM
Yes, NJ-18 signs have been up on Hoes Ln. and Centennial Ave. since the fall. The project only took double the estimated time to complete and didn't even involve major interchange construction.

Although at least as of December, there were no NJ 18 shields on I-287.

Alps

Quote from: dgolub on April 18, 2016, 07:06:04 PM

Yeah, surprising considering all the extra room on the old button copy Exit 8 signs. My guess is those are going to be replaced soon and they didn't want to waste money on the shield (probably around $1000-$2000 to patch all of the signs, based on material and labor, which is truly peanuts).

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on April 18, 2016, 10:46:08 PM

Yeah, surprising considering all the extra room on the old button copy Exit 8 signs. My guess is those are going to be replaced soon and they didn't want to waste money on the shield (probably around $1000-$2000 to patch all of the signs, based on material and labor, which is truly peanuts).

I thought when the state erected them (way way back in 1994) that they left the space at the top on purpose for the 18 shields to be added at a later time...

dgolub

Quote from: storm2k on April 19, 2016, 02:42:57 AM

I thought when the state erected them (way way back in 1994) that they left the space at the top on purpose for the 18 shields to be added at a later time...

It seems logical based on all that extra space, but I guess that they're old enough that they'd rather just replace them outright at this point.

storm2k

Quote from: dgolub on April 19, 2016, 08:32:02 AM
Quote from: storm2k on April 19, 2016, 02:42:57 AM

It seems logical based on all that extra space, but I guess that they're old enough that they'd rather just replace them outright at this point.

I guess they are considering that a one-off as part of this project. The Exit 8 signs are from 1994 when they reconfigured that exit and built the NB ramps to Possumtown Rd, but the rest of the signage went up in 1998 when they got rid of the experimental diagramatic signs and went standard MUTCD from the Turnpike to 22.

longhorn

The NJT is twelve lanes wide, why is it divided into 2 pairs of three lanes northbound and southbound? I am sure there is a reason.

longhorn

Another question, the map is showing I-95 going around north of Trenton then turns into I-295 as the freeway turns south. How does I-95 connect over the NJT from Trenton? It does not show it on the map.

bzakharin

This has all been discussed, but short answers:
Quote from: longhorn on April 20, 2016, 04:06:41 PM
Another question, the map is showing I-95 going around north of Trenton then turns into I-295 as the freeway turns south. How does I-95 connect over the NJT from Trenton? It does not show it on the map.
There is no direct connection. The route signed "TO I-95" is along I-295 South to I-195 East to the Turnpike. They are building an interchange between the PA Turnpike and I-95. When that is complete, I-95 will be re-routed onto the PA Turnpike across the bridge onto the NJ Turnpike. The old section of I-95 will become I-295
Quote from: longhorn on April 20, 2016, 03:50:39 PM
The NJT is twelve lanes wide, why is it divided into 2 pairs of three lanes northbound and southbound? I am sure there is a reason.
The main reason is to lower the number of lanes you potentially have to switch from the leftmost lane to an exit. Another reason is to separate truck traffic from car traffic.

longhorn

Quote from: bzakharin on April 20, 2016, 04:30:24 PM
There is no direct connection. The route signed "TO I-95" is along I-295 South to I-195 East to the Turnpike. They are building an interchange between the PA Turnpike and I-95. When that is complete, I-95 will be re-routed onto the PA Turnpike across the bridge onto the NJ Turnpike. The old section of I-95 will become I-295
The main reason is to lower the number of lanes you potentially have to switch from the leftmost lane to an exit. Another reason is to separate truck traffic from car traffic.

Thank you for your answers.

ixnay

Looking on Google Maps at the red lines approaching and on the actual DE bound DelMemBr span due to 3 of the 4 lanes being closed for suspender rope maintenence, I noticed NJ 48 is closed from Salem CR 551 to U.S. 40, including where 48 crosses the NJTP.  Why?

ixnay

Alps

Quote from: ixnay on April 20, 2016, 08:05:01 PM
Looking on Google Maps at the red lines approaching and on the actual DE bound DelMemBr span due to 3 of the 4 lanes being closed for suspender rope maintenence, I noticed NJ 48 is closed from Salem CR 551 to U.S. 40, including where 48 crosses the NJTP.  Why?

ixnay
Flooding in Houston.
Or: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2016/031016.shtm

mrsman

Quote from: longhorn on April 20, 2016, 05:50:22 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is that the NJ Turnpike has relatively few exits compared to other freeways.  Most of the 12 lane (or more) stretch is urban/suburban (as opposed to rural), so you would expect exits every mile.  But unlike other wide freeways that you may see in CA or TX, the turnpike has exits about every 5-7 miles.  If the NJ Turnpike between Newark and Exit 6 had as many exits as a CA freeway, building dual exits would be cost-prohibitive, which is why you don't see too many 3-3-3-3 freeways in other places and 6-6 is more common. 

dgolub

Quote from: mrsman on April 26, 2016, 08:18:03 AM

Another thing to keep in mind is that the NJ Turnpike has relatively few exits compared to other freeways.  Most of the 12 lane (or more) stretch is urban/suburban (as opposed to rural), so you would expect exits every mile.  But unlike other wide freeways that you may see in CA or TX, the turnpike has exits about every 5-7 miles.  If the NJ Turnpike between Newark and Exit 6 had as many exits as a CA freeway, building dual exits would be cost-prohibitive, which is why you don't see too many 3-3-3-3 freeways in other places and 6-6 is more common.

It's also a toll highway with a ticket system, and those tend not to have exits every mile.

longhorn

Thanks again, I see the wisdom behind segregating traffic flow going in the same direction. Keeps the guy traveling in the far left lane trying to move over five lanes to reach the next exit two miles down the road. Especially separating the cars from the trucks, I am sure the truckers appreciate that.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: longhorn on April 26, 2016, 10:14:45 AM

Thanks again, I see the wisdom behind segregating traffic flow going in the same direction. Keeps the guy traveling in the far left lane trying to move over five lanes to reach the next exit two miles down the road.

Or 1/10th of a mile down the road! :-)

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 26, 2016, 10:19:40 AM

Thanks again, I see the wisdom behind segregating traffic flow going in the same direction. Keeps the guy traveling in the far left lane trying to move over five lanes to reach the next exit two miles down the road.

Or 1/10th of a mile down the road! :-)

Mmmhmm, that seems to be Jersey's state sport.

jeffandnicole

The proposed FY2017 Transportation Capital Program has been posted on NJDOT's website: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/capital/tcp17/sec5/

Zeffy

Eliminating the left exit on the I-78/287 and US 202/206 interchange? Finally.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

storm2k

Quote from: Zeffy on April 28, 2016, 01:45:27 PM

I believe they've started the prep work on that already. Never quite understood the logic behind that one other than to eliminate a loop ramp.

roadman65

I read that its the merge from I-78 E B to I-287 N B they are working on.  It says those exiting at Pluckemin after merging have to cross five lanes to do so.

The left exit from I-287 N B to I-78 W B, from what I have seen, is not a problem as you have that dual carriageway set up.  Most traffic in the inner roadway is going for 78 so its more like an equal split in roads then an actual exit. 

Actually I think that if they were to move the ramp over to the right is to have it exit from the outer roadway, and at the split prior to the US 202/206 merge is to make that outer roadway a long c/d road and sign it exclusively as an exit for I-78 and have the inner roadway exclusively for through traffic only.  In addition eliminate that crossover ramp that now lets US 202/206 traffic access the left I-78 W B exit, as it would no longer be needed.

The southbound Exit 17 ramp from the inside could also be made from using the outside and signing the outside roadway at the split south of the I-78 E B exit as exclusively for US 202/205.  The left side I-78 merge would have to be shifted over to the right and merge into the outer roadway as well.  The outside ramp to Exit 17 could be widened and the existing bridge that carries the 17 ramp over S B I-287 could be used for a widened SB US 202/206 roadway instead of a single lane sharing the current overpass with the NB US 202/206 lanes across I-287.  Of course a NB overpass would need to be added, but then again the new businesses along US 202/206 between Pluckemin and Somerville do warrant a widened highway for the US routes anyway.  This would be a start for that.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Thanks again, I see the wisdom behind segregating traffic flow going in the same direction. Keeps the guy traveling in the far left lane trying to move over five lanes to reach the next exit two miles down the road. Especially separating the cars from the trucks, I am sure the truckers appreciate that.

I think in this day and age safety is the issue.   I see that wide roads and changing many lanes to get to an exit on the other side of the road is not an issue for most drivers as here in Florida they will just cut across all five lanes like its nothing.  Heck, I even see buses and trucks cut across four lanes with stopped traffic on it along John Young Parkway in Orlando.  Many charter buses exit JYP SB from FL 528 E B to use it to Taft- Vineland Road E B, however JYP is so congested with many cars and long waiting lines at the Central Florida Parkway intersection that its backed up along SB JYP to north of FL 528.  That does not discourage bus drivers as well as some semi drivers as they will move their extra long vehicle across the stopped traffic in the the three lanes of through traffic and get themselves into the left turn lanes for Taft- Vineland Road.  This, of course, is all within a tenth of a mile between the 528 interchange and the Taft- Vineland Road intersection.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on April 28, 2016, 01:45:27 PM

Public meeting about it next week, actually!  http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/community/meetings/documents/handout050216mh.pdf

The project is supposed to go out to bid in May, 2016.  The $10 million price tag you see is what NJDOT is funding in FY2017. They are supposed to fund $10 mil in FY '16, and another $12 or so in FY '18.

odditude

given the current financial woes, what % of this proposed budget would you expect to get funded?

Zeffy

Quote from: odditude on April 29, 2016, 09:23:23 AM
given the current financial woes, what % of this proposed budget would you expect to get funded?

If we're lucky... 20%.  :banghead:
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.