News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 21, 2021, 08:18:09 PM
That entire stretch of 440 is due for sign replacement.

It's happening, just a matter of how long it takes them to do it end to end. Most of the signs are from the early 1990s when they replaced the non-reflective button copy signs with earlier generations of reflective signage, but most of the structures are much older than that.

roadman65

I just sent a problem report to NJDOT about missing signage and that the Beesly Point Bridge is no longer there.  According to GSV, NB US 9 at CR 623 in Upper Township is only signed TO Garden State Parkway and CR 623 for Ocean City.  No shields there to tell you to turn right or any sort of NO OUTLET sign north of CR 623 to inform you that Route 9 is incomplete across the Great Egg Harbor and how to circumvent it.

The NJDOT site is very hard to report problems, as you have to go to a map and find the spot, then make sure you use the proper route number as if it is not NJDOT, then it will say not a state asset.  Then you enter your info followed by a form to fill out and hit SEND.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on June 22, 2021, 06:28:14 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on June 21, 2021, 08:18:09 PM
That entire stretch of 440 is due for sign replacement.

It's happening, just a matter of how long it takes them to do it end to end. Most of the signs are from the early 1990s when they replaced the non-reflective button copy signs with earlier generations of reflective signage, but most of the structures are much older than that.

PennDOT is the same.  It took five years to update the signage on I-95 from the old substandard signs in Bucks County to what it was before I-295 got placed upon it.  Then when US 1 opened up north of Oxford Valley in 1987, it took years also for PennDOT to sign it as US 1 and remove the US 1 signs (or place the business banners) in Pendell.  In addition it was 1991 when the Oxford Valley Cloverleaf where I-295 and US 1 currently meet,  to have US 1 added to the guide signs there.  Up until 1991, US 1 Business was signed as mainline US 1 from I-95 and even Trenton was signed at the current US 1B and PA 413 exchange while just Oxford Valley remained for US 1 North and Langhorne for US 1 south without any route shields.

So yes both PA and NJ are slow as molasses when it comes to getting stuff done.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Why is the I-80 W Bound exit for Route 94 signed as both Exit 4A and 4C?   It makes no sense as A should be after C going WB and Exit 4B is for US 46 East after the departure for NJ 94.   Plus one ramp does not need two suffixes.

Also why does the Exit 310 sign use Stroudsburg on I-80 West, when its non applicable there?   Sure PA 611 goes there, but PennDOT does not sign Exit 310 on their signs as such as the PA 191, Dreher Avenue, and Main Street exits are rigtht in Stroudsburg.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on June 26, 2021, 12:01:34 PM
Why is the I-80 W Bound exit for Route 94 signed as both Exit 4A and 4C?   It makes no sense as A should be after C going WB and Exit 4B is for US 46 East after the departure for NJ 94.   Plus one ramp does not need two suffixes.

Also why does the Exit 310 sign use Stroudsburg on I-80 West, when its non applicable there?   Sure PA 611 goes there, but PennDOT does not sign Exit 310 on their signs as such as the PA 191, Dreher Avenue, and Main Street exits are rigtht in Stroudsburg.

Jurisdiction would be my guess in regards to the questions about the 310 signs. I'm going to wager a guess that those are DRJTBC assemblies, and not from either NJDOT or PennDOT. They have a habit like most of the bi-state and quasi-independent agencies, do kinda do their own thing with signage (glares in PANYNJ). If you look at Alps' page for Route 80 in NJ, at the bottom, you'll see a picture from the 70s that's clearly a PennDOT assembly that only says Del Water Gap on it.

roadman65

Yeah I remember the old US 611 sign at Exit 1.

Yet there is still Hainesburg Road that lacks an exit number though.  NJDOT just carbon copies the old US 611 guide signs including the second exit in from PA having a guide sign for Dover and New York for through traffic but no information for the ramp at all. In fact, both ramps upon entering NJ are redundant of each other and the second one should really be closed and removed.

https://goo.gl/maps/ipuhpWAbdH2tbMXg6
This one has EXIT but no guide sign and even an Exit 1 sign.

https://goo.gl/maps/G2oDWvPaKA9sEx3Z7
The second one gets a pull through instead of an EXIT but like the previous ramp serves the same frontage road. Plus with the elimination of two way traffic on the WB I-80 off ramp across the highway, it's original function to access the Apppalachian trailhead is no longer possible.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Why is I-80 wb 55 mph in Fairfield, but 65 mph eb?

interstate73

Quote from: famartin on June 30, 2021, 08:32:22 AM
It isn't???  :confused: :confused: :confused: The 55/65 transition is at the Essex/Passaic County line in both directions
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

famartin

Quote from: interstate73 on July 01, 2021, 12:13:19 AM
It isn't???  :confused: :confused: :confused: The 55/65 transition is at the Essex/Passaic County line in both directions

There are no 65 mph signs until the Parsippany line going WB.  Not even a hint of it with a "65 mph zone fines doubled speeding and other violations" sign. In fact, there aren't any speed limit signs along this section going westbound. That seems more than a slight error.

civilmaher

Quote from: famartin on July 01, 2021, 08:15:06 AM

There are no 65 mph signs until the Parsippany line going WB.  Not even a hint of it with a "65 mph zone fines doubled speeding and other violations" sign. In fact, there aren't any speed limit signs along this section going westbound. That seems more than a slight error.

Looks like the WB sign disappeared in 2016.

https://goo.gl/maps/xiPQSfBfLRnqvPq17
Opinions represent mine and no other organization that I am associated with.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: civilmaher on July 01, 2021, 09:20:59 AM
Quote from: famartin on July 01, 2021, 08:15:06 AM

Looks like the WB sign disappeared in 2016.

https://goo.gl/maps/xiPQSfBfLRnqvPq17

Signage has a tendency to disappear and not get replaced. I've seen it occur where the speed limit both increases and decreases.

TheGrassGuy

Both US 206 and its bypass are now yellow on Google Maps.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

bzakharin

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on July 03, 2021, 12:53:53 PM
I haven't been able to figure out exactly what yellow means on Google. All US routes are yellow, but as for state routes, NJ 73 is only yellow north of US 30 despite nothing obvious changing there. NJ 124 is white east of NJ 82 for no obvious reason. NJ 47 is yellow in 2 segments, between the Garden State Parkway and NJ 55, and between US 40 and US 322.

Alps

Quote from: bzakharin on July 04, 2021, 06:38:55 PM
I haven't been able to figure out exactly what yellow means on Google. All US routes are yellow, but as for state routes, NJ 73 is only yellow north of US 30 despite nothing obvious changing there. NJ 124 is white east of NJ 82 for no obvious reason. NJ 47 is yellow in 2 segments, between the Garden State Parkway and NJ 55, and between US 40 and US 322.
It's supposed to represent how major a route is but yeah, I'd be happier if they kept it to orange = US, yellow = state, white = neither.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on July 04, 2021, 10:11:10 PM
It's supposed to represent how major a route is but yeah, I'd be happier if they kept it to orange = US, yellow = state, white = neither.
Or maybe orange=freeway, yellow=divided, white=Neither.

sprjus4

^ I would not mind a distinction between divided and undivided.

jeffandnicole

Divided and undivided is a tricky distinction, and maybe more so in Jersey than elsewhere. Divided could mean a free-flowing Jersey freeway, something like US 1 where there's a mix of overpasses and lights but no left turns can be made, or a road like NJ 73 where there's a median, but left turns can be made at both controlled and uncontrolled intersections?

I knew someone who I couldn't convince to take 42 to 322 to near AC to avoid the ACX tolls, because he didn't want to be on a 2 lane 322. The map showed it as the same type of road as when the 2 lane 322 goes from the Com. Barry Bridge to 42 , even though it's a 4 lane highway when it meets and becomes the Black Horse Pike.  Just no median barrier for a long portion.

TheGrassGuy

Top 10 ancient mysteries that shall never be solved.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

74/171FAN

Quote from: mariethefoxy on June 19, 2021, 05:52:31 PM
I mistook complete for being open. I figured it was complete like the whole project was done.

I have not seen any news articles stating that the Wittpenn Bridge is open.  I have been considering taking two hours out of my US 206 roadtrip on July 16th just to drive it.

Am I missing something Alps?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 06, 2021, 12:21:17 PM
I mistook complete for being open. I figured it was complete like the whole project was done.

I have not seen any news articles stating that the Wittpenn Bridge is open.  I have been considering taking two hours out of my US 206 roadtrip on July 16th just to drive it.

The bridge is complete. The approaches aren't.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on July 07, 2021, 12:22:26 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 06, 2021, 12:21:17 PM

The bridge is complete. The approaches aren't.

Thank you for clarifying.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

storm2k

Looks like NJDOT's spot sign structure replacement projects are proceeding. This structure has new foundations installed and is probably curing for a bit. I feel like I remember seeing at least one other one on 80 in the Paterson area getting ready for replacement as well. Basically, it looks like NJDOT is slowly targeting older triangular chord truss structures across the state for replacement with a standard box chord truss design but the replacements are spotty instead of all sign structures in one area getting done at a time. I'm wondering if they're doing it based on their evaluations of the condition some are in and working to get the ones they view as most problematic done first. Also hope that the new signs for the interstate sheilds are better resistant to UV fading than a lot of ones installed in the 2005-15 or so timeframe. Feels like a lot of those faded super quickly in the sun.

NJRoadfan

There is a new gantry up at NJ-24 East going onto I-78 East associated with this project. Unlike just about every other sign in the area, it actually spells out "Garden State Parkway" as a destination for the local lanes.

artmalk

The signs for I-280 are not that old.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: storm2k on July 12, 2021, 03:37:22 PM
Looks like NJDOT's spot sign structure replacement projects are proceeding. This structure has new foundations installed and is probably curing for a bit. I feel like I remember seeing at least one other one on 80 in the Paterson area getting ready for replacement as well. Basically, it looks like NJDOT is slowly targeting older triangular chord truss structures across the state for replacement with a standard box chord truss design but the replacements are spotty instead of all sign structures in one area getting done at a time. I'm wondering if they're doing it based on their evaluations of the condition some are in and working to get the ones they view as most problematic done first. Also hope that the new signs for the interstate sheilds are better resistant to UV fading than a lot of ones installed in the 2005-15 or so timeframe. Feels like a lot of those faded super quickly in the sun.

There are a few (or several) projects replacing old signs currently.  A few of these projects are more delayed than others (I think one ongoing project had a 2015 date but was only let in the past year or two), and any one project  seems to have a wide range of locations where they are replacing signage.

Nearly all of those triangle gantry structures are targeted.  Structures only going across a portion of the roadway seem to have an issue as well, as many of them are being replaced also.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.