News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

You said the key word: Contractor.

It would be great to update information on signs as the same goes for Florida as well.  It depends on the contract, the project manager, and the area being worked on as factors.

It really should be "Brick" on Next 3 Exit signs going NB and Next 2 Exits going SB.  Exit 88 should be Lakehurst- Pt. Pleasant for NJ 70.  Then Exit 89 should be Lakewood- Mantoloking.  Exit 90 should be Lakewood, and for Exit 90 it should be Herbertsville going NB and Lakewood- Herbertsville going SB.

The combination of Exits 88 & 89 make it most interesting to sign, but I am going to take a guess that it will be for both NJ 70 and CR 528 sharing one diverging sign to have both routes with Brick- Lakewood- Lakehurst.  Then on the service road going for NJ 70 it will be Brick- Lakehurst and then for Cr 528 it will be Brick- Lakewood.  Going SB will have the same three points at diverge using Brick- Lakewood for CR 528 and then for NJ 70 WB will be Lakewood- Lakehurst and then for NJ 70 EB will be Brick.

Exit 91 will most likely include Herbertsville going NB but keep Lakewood going SB.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

J Route Z

I despise partial interchanges. Exit 40 on the GSP should be a full interchange, since it provides access to US 30, a major highway. There is access to the GSP northbound from US 30 westbound, and the exit from the GSP southbound to US 30 eastbound. The Atlantic City Expressway also has partial interchanges, including exits 14, 31, and 33.

NJRoadfan

Don't be surprised if Camden shows up as a control city for NJ-70 somewhere. NJDOT already uses it in the area. The southbound exit sign off of the mainline is already installed, they are just going to tack on a NJ-70 shield when done. Its also very likely that Exit 88 will cease to exist after the project is done.

http://goo.gl/maps/em0eh

Note the pull-through with an actual control city.

roadman65

Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 04, 2014, 02:22:17 AM
Don't be surprised if Camden shows up as a control city for NJ-70 somewhere. NJDOT already uses it in the area. The southbound exit sign off of the mainline is already installed, they are just going to tack on a NJ-70 shield when done. Its also very likely that Exit 88 will cease to exist after the project is done.

http://goo.gl/maps/em0eh

Note the pull-through with an actual control city.
Wow the GSP is using control cities!  I am impressed!  I am guessing that the FHWA is putting pressure on them as before only the NJ 17 southbound on ramp in Paramus and the pull through on the SB GSP at Exit 129 used Shore Points (not exactly a city) and that is about it.  Oh yeah and Atlantic City and Woodbridge were used at Exit 105 on NJ 36 WB along with the Express/ Local split.  However, still not that much and those were very little of use of controls.

I also see that south of Exit 80 the GSP has an overhead mileage sign for Long Beach Island 23 (not exactly on the GSP itself, but its something) and Atlantic City 50.  The GSP has come a long way now.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadrunner75

Just off the Garden State Parkway at exit 98 NB I have to pass under this sign every morning:

The middle sign for Exit 35A (34 SB from I-195 WB) should indicate "1/4 mile" but instead it was recently replaced with the sign with the arrow that appears to direct drivers off onto 35B.  I believe this was installed when they replaced the older I-195 WB (NJ-138) bridge over the GSP about a year ago to allow for the widening project below. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on May 14, 2014, 11:47:48 PM
Just off the Garden State Parkway at exit 98 NB I have to pass under this sign every morning:
The middle sign for Exit 35A (34 SB from I-195 WB) should indicate "1/4 mile" but instead it was recently replaced with the sign with the arrow that appears to direct drivers off onto 35B.  I believe this was installed when they replaced the older I-195 WB (NJ-138) bridge over the GSP about a year ago to allow for the widening project below. 

Yes...I saw this sign about a month ago too.  It was so unexpected I didn't have my camera ready, and I probably won't be passing by again for another month or two. 

It's also the only sign assembly along 195 that has the pull-thru West 195 to 29 on it...until you're about 2 miles away from 29 itself. 

Bad work all around here.

roadman65

I do not know if the mileage sign for Jackson- Allentown- Trenton is still located between the SB exit ramp to NJ 34 and the SB NJ 34 on ramp as it should be west of the farthest interchange ramp, but another oddity for this interchange's signing practice.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

Just off the Garden State Parkway at exit 98 NB I have to pass under this sign

Thanks for sharing that. With the TO NJ 29 reference added, does that mean we'll see TO NJ 138 added at the eastbound beginning?  SMH

bzakharin

Quote from: Alex on May 15, 2014, 09:50:06 AM

Thanks for sharing that. With the TO NJ 29 reference added, does that mean we'll see TO NJ 138 added at the eastbound beginning?  SMH

I would think NJ 29 is much more important than NJ 138, seeing as the latter just extends 195 by a few miles. Also, isn't this sign technically on NJ 138?

roadman65

To change the subject a bit, does anyone know if the US 22 & Chimney Rock Road interchange is completed?  I was also noticing that a bridge for the defunct Chimney Rock Branch of the former CNJ is being built even though no trains use the line anymore.  Then you have I-287 it appears that the NB Exit 10A ramp will be merged into the EB diamond portion of the ramp passing through Chimney Rock Road at grade instead of below it like the mainline US 22.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on May 15, 2014, 09:58:13 AM
Quote from: Alex on May 15, 2014, 09:50:06 AM

I would think NJ 29 is much more important than NJ 138, seeing as the latter just extends 195 by a few miles. Also, isn't this sign technically on NJ 138?

I think that was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

For those going to the shore though, 138 is very important.

roadman65

I am amazed that going EB on I-195 that Brielle is more important than Pt. Pleasant.  I know WB on NJ 138 its because Pt. Pleasant is the control point for NJ 18 SB, so it was later added on in addition to Brielle.  Also the WB control city for NJ 138 WB is Pt. Pleasant as well.

What they need to do is install supplemental signs approaching the end of I-195 breaking the Shore Points into regions.  Then direct those to the Belmar-Asbury Park area straight through on NJ 138.  Then add the Ocean County resorts as well as Atlantic City, and Cape May County Resorts via GSP SB to help motorists out as well.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Quote from: roadman65 on May 15, 2014, 11:11:37 AM
To change the subject a bit, does anyone know if the US 22 & Chimney Rock Road interchange is completed?  I was also noticing that a bridge for the defunct Chimney Rock Branch of the former CNJ is being built even though no trains use the line anymore.  Then you have I-287 it appears that the NB Exit 10A ramp will be merged into the EB diamond portion of the ramp passing through Chimney Rock Road at grade instead of below it like the mainline US 22.

Not even close to being done.

akotchi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 15, 2014, 06:24:25 AM

Yes...I saw this sign about a month ago too.  It was so unexpected I didn't have my camera ready, and I probably won't be passing by again for another month or two. 

It's also the only sign assembly along 195 that has the pull-thru West 195 to 29 on it...until you're about 2 miles away from 29 itself. 

Bad work all around here.

I was just in Long Branch today.

I noticed the Exit 35A error.  There is also another "to 29" pullthrough at Exit 21 WB.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Roadrunner75

If you look closely at the photo (or at Google street view), you can see a smaller ground mounted sign just past the exit sign for 35B that directs traffic straight ahead for 34 / GSP SB.  I guess it was cheaper to install a new sign to correct the error on the overhead.

roadman65

Does anyone know if NJ ever decided to put a WELCOME sign along I-78 entering the Garden State?   I always remember one never being there, and GSV shows nothing except a mileage sign just after being on dry land saying Clinton 15-Bedmnister 27- Newark 56.

I know lately NJ has been adding signs that resemble a giant post card at many state entries or afterward like on NJ 495 where the Welcome sign is at the 3/NJ Turnpike split in North Bergen almost 3 miles from the actual state line from NY. I was wondering if they included this location among that particular sign campaign?

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on May 18, 2014, 11:05:51 PM
Does anyone know if NJ ever decided to put a WELCOME sign along I-78 entering the Garden State?   I always remember one never being there, and GSV shows nothing except a mileage sign just after being on dry land saying Clinton 15-Bedmnister 27- Newark 56.

I know lately NJ has been adding signs that resemble a giant post card at many state entries or afterward like on NJ 495 where the Welcome sign is at the 3/NJ Turnpike split in North Bergen almost 3 miles from the actual state line from NY. I was wondering if they included this location among that particular sign campaign?
I-78 has a postcard.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on May 18, 2014, 11:05:51 PM

They've put the postcard in a lot of places, even off the interstate path. 9W got one right after you cross the line from NY, at The Palisades Exit 4.

storm2k

Any more news on how the new signage project on the Parkway's free section is coming? They got one post up at 131A and they put a sign for Exit 130 on the new VMS just before the NS overpass, but all I've seen otherwise are a bunch of concrete forms for the bases of further signs. Is this just going to be one of those slow things since they'd have to close the road down for a while overnights to get the new signs up?

J Route Z

Quote from: storm2k on May 24, 2014, 02:45:48 AM
Any more news on how the new signage project on the Parkway's free section is coming? They got one post up at 131A and they put a sign for Exit 130 on the new VMS just before the NS overpass, but all I've seen otherwise are a bunch of concrete forms for the bases of further signs. Is this just going to be one of those slow things since they'd have to close the road down for a while overnights to get the new signs up?

What project is this? I was on the Parkway 2 days ago and passed this very interchange.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: roadman65 on May 15, 2014, 11:11:37 AM
To change the subject a bit, does anyone know if the US 22 & Chimney Rock Road interchange is completed?

An update on this. The overpass is mostly done and westbound US-22 is routed underneath it. Eastbound still hasn't been moved. New signs are up too. The I-287 interchange and the Foothill Rd. exit have all new signs. The rail line is still active for the quarry.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBXHwoBGBcs and http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=104007&start=0 .

Reading the railfan boards, some folks show up on 22 for the rare times a train crosses there, usually late at night. They get tipped off listening to the rail's radio channels as they have to notify authorities of crossing a busy highway on a rarely used grade crossing. BTW, listening to that radio feed and watching folks blow the signal, you can see why this crossing should be grade separated.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on May 24, 2014, 02:45:48 AM
Haven't seen any new signs yet. Overheads aren't done with road closures, they're done with 15-minute slowdowns, and then traffic clears before the next slowdown.

Zeffy

I feel the need to ask this here because the Internet is failing me. There's what looks like to be a road construction project going on near the intersection at Mountain View Rd on US 206 in Hillsborough. I've checked Hillsborough's website, Somerset County's website, and NJDOT's website, and I have found nothing on this whatsoever. My first guess was that it was for the bypass, but I thought it wasn't supposed to be in this area.

It's in that general area. If I go around that area again I'll take photos of what I saw, but it definitely looks like a road is going up.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Roadrunner75

Based on this PDF link I found of the bypass (see last page), it looks like what you're seeing is construction of the southern tie-in point of the bypass to existing 206.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/community/meetings/documents/handout061307CF_002.pdf

Alps

Quote from: Zeffy on June 02, 2014, 07:17:07 PM
I feel the need to ask this here because the Internet is failing me. There's what looks like to be a road construction project going on near the intersection at Mountain View Rd on US 206 in Hillsborough. I've checked Hillsborough's website, Somerset County's website, and NJDOT's website, and I have found nothing on this whatsoever. My first guess was that it was for the bypass, but I thought it wasn't supposed to be in this area.

It's in that general area. If I go around that area again I'll take photos of what I saw, but it definitely looks like a road is going up.
Yes, that's the southern end of the bypass. The northern end is lagging well behind.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.