News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Nature Boy

I'm surprised that the State of NY hasn't assigned a state route number to the entire Thruway.

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on January 11, 2017, 08:23:20 AM
Quote from: cl94 on January 10, 2017, 10:10:37 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 10, 2017, 09:56:09 PM
Quote from: kalvado on January 10, 2017, 11:50:28 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 10, 2017, 11:46:14 AM

I guess PA is tucked in the Northeast where every other state (except for NY) is small...so it may just be psychological that it seems like the state goes on forever.

And unlike most other interstates within a state, the PA Turnpike & I-80 don't go thru any major cities either.  You can travel both the PA Turnpike and I-80 end-to-end and you'll mostly see trees and farms the entire way.  You'll never go thru an actual city, which most 2di interstates fairly often, especially out east.
BTW, mileage-wise NY does a dirty trick having contionious mileposts on Thruway as it goes from I-87 to I-90. It does reach infamous 420 miles league somewhere in Buffalo (I saw 419.9 myself) - something that would not happen if honest I-90 and I-87 mileages were used..
Even with its own mileage, I-90 in NY is longer than I-80 in PA (385 miles vs. 310).  Of course, I-90 actually passes through the Buffalo, Syracuse, and Albany metro areas, so there's stuff to break up the rural scenery.

The same is true for I-87 (333 miles).

I-87 is deceptive, because it goes from nearly the southernmost point of the state to the northernmost point.

If I-90 had its own mileage and distance-based exits, it would have the highest exit number in the state (385). MA border is just shy of 386. If NY 17/I-86 were mile-based, it would only get to 381. With Thruway miles, 496.00 is at the PA border.

For another oddity: Montauk Point is approximately even longitudinally with Worcester, Massachusetts and a couple miles west of the eastern border of Connecticut.

I am referring to 420 milepost signs being popular withing some population groups.. and NY doesn't reach that without Thruway trick.

I know damn well what you're talking about. The mile marker in question is just east of Exit 50.

Quote from: The Nature Boy on January 11, 2017, 09:33:03 AM
I'm surprised that the State of NY hasn't assigned a state route number to the entire Thruway.

Why bother? Entire thing has a shield that is posted pretty prominently and often (although rarely on the Thruway system itself).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on January 11, 2017, 05:49:37 PM
Quote from: kalvado on January 11, 2017, 08:23:20 AM

I am referring to 420 milepost signs being popular withing some population groups.. and NY doesn't reach that without Thruway trick.

I know damn well what you're talking about. The mile marker in question is just east of Exit 50.
Actually I didn't see 420 on westbound side last month; but 419.9 was there..

ghYHZ

Nova Scotia is Canada's second smallest province but still it's 500 miles from tip to tip. Rotate the province on Yarmouth at the southern tip and it would stretch to Long Island NY.

hbelkins

Speaking of West Virginia, I've seen a list of state capitals that are closer to the eastern panhandle than is Charleston. I know it includes Harrisburg, Annapolis, Dover and Richmond. I think possibly Trenton as well?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on January 12, 2017, 02:26:42 PM
Speaking of West Virginia, I've seen a list of state capitals that are closer to the eastern panhandle than is Charleston. I know it includes Harrisburg, Annapolis, Dover and Richmond. I think possibly Trenton as well?

Depends on if you use road mileage or "as the crow flies".   This likewise applies to Raleigh.  If you consider first level jurisdictions and not just states, it is also closer to DC city hall. 

Both of WV's panhandles are the result of tortured history and politics from centuries ago.  Most people living there would be much better served by the states they naturally really belong in.

doorknob60

Boise has a larger city population than Salt Lake City (216,282 vs. 191,180).
San Diego, CA is farther east than part of the Oregon-Idaho border (though the two are at roughly the same longitude).

Max Rockatansky

The buoy at the Southern Most Point at the south end of Whitehead Street in downtown Key West isn't the southern most point.  The Trumam Annex portion of the Navy Base directly west of the buoy is more to the south.  But the Truman Annex is actually dredge land fill and the end of Whitehead Street would have been the southern most point prior. 

Rothman

Quote from: doorknob60 on January 12, 2017, 06:00:22 PM
Boise has a larger city population than Salt Lake City (216,282 vs. 191,180).

I've known a bunch of families that have moved from SLC to Boise.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bruce

Seattle is due north of San Francisco, if you skim their respective shores a bit.

empirestate

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 12, 2017, 06:20:23 PM
The buoy at the Southern Most Point at the south end of Whitehead Street in downtown Key West isn't the southern most point.  The Trumam Annex portion of the Navy Base directly west of the buoy is more to the south.  But the Truman Annex is actually dredge land fill and the end of Whitehead Street would have been the southern most point prior. 

Well, except that there's other land in Florida still farther south than any of Key West.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: empirestate on January 13, 2017, 02:09:00 AM

Well, except that there's other land in Florida still farther south than any of Key West.

Fairly certain it is Ballast Key out in the Mules.  Wrote that up yesterday on the phone, figured the odd factoid about dredging in Key West would be enough until someone pointed out the other Keys to the west when I had access to a map.

bing101

kkt

Quote from: Bruce on January 13, 2017, 12:22:25 AM
Seattle is due north of San Francisco, if you skim their respective shores a bit.

Yes, I worked it out from an old house I lived in in Seattle, 800 miles exactly south would put my in S.F. Bay.

slorydn1

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 13, 2017, 09:09:42 AM

Fairly certain it is Ballast Key out in the Mules.  Wrote that up yesterday on the phone, figured the odd factoid about dredging in Key West would be enough until someone pointed out the other Keys to the west when I had access to a map.

I still think you got it right, though, because I think the whole "point" of Southern Most Point (no pun intended) is that it's the southern most point in the United States that a person could get to from the mainland without having to fly or float to get there. I mean, obviously anywhere in Hawaii, for example, is well south of Key West, so what point would there be designating a place in Florida as southern most if they had to include places one would have to fly or take a boat to.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

empirestate

Quote from: slorydn1 on January 18, 2017, 12:14:43 AM

I still think you got it right, though, because I think the whole "point" of Southern Most Point (no pun intended) is that it's the southern most point in the United States that a person could get to from the mainland without having to fly or float to get there. I mean, obviously anywhere in Hawaii, for example, is well south of Key West, so what point would there be designating a place in Florida as southern most if they had to include places one would have to fly or take a boat to.

I believe Hawaii was not a state when the Southernmost Point monument was erected (although it would have been a territory). But in general, yes, practical accessibility is the idea of the thing more than geographical accuracy.

kkt

vdeane

I believe the actual southernmost point is in American Samoa (which I think is the only part of the US south of the equator, but I don't know the locations of all the guano islands).

Furthest south incorporated point is in Palmyra Atoll (which, interestingly enough, is on the other side of the international date line and was separated from Hawaii for some reason; not aware of anything else on that side of the date line, but again, guano islands).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

I'm pretty sure the point of the monument is to be at the southernmost point that you can travel over land or road to in the Continental United States.   Which I suppose is still technically true to an extent...but then again even Fort Zachery Taylor is accessible to civilians.  :rolleyes:

cl94

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 18, 2017, 10:15:38 PM

I'm pretty sure the point of the monument is to be at the southernmost point that you can travel over land or road to in the Continental United States.   Which I suppose is still technically true to an extent...but then again even Fort Zachery Taylor is accessible to civilians.  :rolleyes:

The only extremity you can easily and legally get to is the easternmost point in Maine. Definitely worth the long drive.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

NWI_Irish96

Keeping with the theme of geographic points, during a trip out to the plains states many years ago, I went to the point that my atlas marked as the geographic center of the US.  It was about 20 or so miles north of Belle Fourche, SD.  I found a spot that had what looked like an abandoned parking area but no monument or anything.  I went back to the town's visitor center, and when I asked them about the geographic center of the US, their response was, "We moved it into town."

Huh?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kalvado

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 19, 2017, 07:06:58 AM
Keeping with the theme of geographic points, during a trip out to the plains states many years ago, I went to the point that my atlas marked as the geographic center of the US.  It was about 20 or so miles north of Belle Fourche, SD.  I found a spot that had what looked like an abandoned parking area but no monument or anything.  I went back to the town's visitor center, and when I asked them about the geographic center of the US, their response was, "We moved it into town."

Huh?
I bet it is quite difficult to define that point strictly. So making it about right, while providing some accommodation to visitors actually can make some sense.
Similar thing with South pole: there is a well established ceremonial point:

And a small detail: actual pole is 600 feet away.
There are also some funny stories about how monuments marking Europe-Asia line in Urals are offset to points where there is enough room for some parking, since line by definition  goes along the top of mountain ridge.

kkt

Quote from: vdeane on January 18, 2017, 05:52:54 PM
I believe the actual southernmost point is in American Samoa (which I think is the only part of the US south of the equator, but I don't know the locations of all the guano islands).

If you're going to count territories, how about Amundsen-Scott Station?

busman_49

Huh?

:-D

empirestate

Quote from: busman_49 on January 19, 2017, 01:37:23 PM

Huh?

:-D

You know, I just read something where the geographic center of North America was "moved"–recalculated, anyway, to where else but the town of Center, ND. :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.