News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

It is possible to go from East of the Mississippi to West of the Mississippi and vice-versa without crossing the Mississippi river at all! Which leads to a question: What is East and what is West of the Mississippi North of Bemidji MN? This single fact resulted in the Northwest Angle.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jmd41280

Several examples of states that do not have a common border, but are geographically very close to each other...

The northern tip of Virginia is less than 18 miles from the Pennsylvania border
Maryland and New Jersey come within 12 miles of each other at their closest points
The western tip of Connecticut is only 11 miles from New Jersey
Massachusetts and Maine come within 16 miles of each other at their closest points
The easternmost point of Vermont is within 20 miles of the Maine border
Illinois and Tennessee come within 35 miles of each other
The northernmost border of Texas comes within 35 miles of Colorado and Kansas
The NW corner of Arkansas is 34.5 miles from the SE corner of Kansas
Kentucky and Arkansas come within 30 miles of each other at their closest points

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

thenetwork

The narrowest part of the Maryland panhandle which separates PA and WV (Near Hancock, MD) is just shy of 2 miles wide.

bm7

All of mainland Finland is north of the southernmost point of Greenland.

Road Hog

Quote from: jmd41280 on January 25, 2018, 08:39:03 PM
Several examples of states that do not have a common border, but are geographically very close to each other...

Maryland and New Jersey come within 12 miles of each other at their closest points
Massachusetts and Maine come within 16 miles of each other at their closest points
Kentucky and Arkansas come within 30 miles of each other at their closest points
Similarly, Oklahoma and Louisiana are separated by only about 40 miles at a diagonal across the NE corner of Texas.

KEVIN_224

How close is the northeast tip of Ohio on Lake Erie to that of far southwestern New York state? (i.e. the I-90 region)

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

ftballfan

Quote from: Road Hog on January 26, 2018, 10:30:42 PM
Quote from: jmd41280 on January 25, 2018, 08:39:03 PM

Similarly, Oklahoma and Louisiana are separated by only about 40 miles at a diagonal across the NE corner of Texas.
Fun fact: The far southeastern portion of Oklahoma gets TV stations from Louisiana.

Max Rockatansky

87% of Monroe County is on mainland Florida but 99% of the population is on the remaining 13% of land in the Keys.

KEVIN_224

@FTBALLFAN: Yep! McCurtain County in far southeastern Oklahoma is at the edge of the Shreveport-Texarkana DMA (Designated Market Area).

http://files.ktbs.com/ktbsadvertising/KTBS-CoverageMAP.pdf

Bruce

From November to March, both Washington (WA) and Western Australia (WA) set their clocks eight hours away from Greenwhich Mean Time, but in opposite directions. The U.S. West Coast uses UTC-08 during the winter, while Western Australia uses UTC+08 all year. UTC+08 is also the most populous time zone, with 1.7 billion people, and encompasses all of China from the Afghan border (where it switches from UTC+4.5) to the Russian border (at UTC+10).

thenetwork

Quote from: Bruce on January 29, 2018, 08:40:31 PM
UTC+08 is also the most populous time zone, with 1.7 billion people, and encompasses all of China from the Afghan border (where it switches from UTC+4.5) to the Russian border (at UTC+10).

What really caught my eye was the fact that crossing into a new time zone at one of the Chinese borders is an instant change of anywhere from 2 to 3-1/2 hours!! I can't fathom a change of more than an hour at a time zone boundary. 

Anyhoo, good oddity to share!!!

english si

Quote from: thenetwork on January 29, 2018, 10:46:28 PMWhat really caught my eye was the fact that crossing into a new time zone at one of the Chinese borders is an instant change of anywhere from 2 to 3-1/2 hours!! I can't fathom a change of more than an hour at a time zone boundary.
I believe the only such change inside a country is between Western Australia (+8) and South Australia/Northern Territories (+9:30 with SA moving to +10:30 in summer). Western Australia is sparsely populated away from Perth, and the middle of Australia doesn't have much, so fixing time zones to Perth, Adelaide and Darwin makes sense.

There's a few small villages near the WA/SA border and they unofficially, but universally, use +8.45 (no DST) - it's only about 200 people stretching 300 miles or so along a highway (but mostly in about 20 miles near the border), but they are 200 miles from the nearest places either way, so they have more in common with each other than Perth time or Adelaide time and it makes little sense to keep changing your clock an hour and a half (if not two and a half hours) to go 50 miles to some 'near' neighbours. Better to change your clocks 45 minutes (or 1:45 if its summer and you are heading east) only if you are going on a roughly four hour journey to (not to and from, just one-way) one of the 'big' towns, or further.

CNGL-Leudimin

While it is generally known that US States are larger than some European countries, I was surprised Spain is larger than all but two states (AK and TX). I was even more surprised to find out my province is larger than three states! (CT, DE and RI, it's even larger than the later two combined)
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Bruce

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 04, 2018, 06:02:36 PM
While it is generally known that US States are larger than some European countries, I was surprised Spain is larger than all but two states (AK and TX). I was even more surprised to find out my province is larger than three states! (CT, DE and RI, it's even larger than the later two combined)

Your province is barely larger than my metropolitan area (which is relatively compact for a top-20 metro area).

thenetwork

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: thenetwork on February 13, 2018, 10:28:50 PM
El Paso, Texas is further west than Vail, Colorado.

This is true insofar that the westernmost point of El Paso is west of the westernmost point of Vail. But it's also true that the easternmost point of El Paso is east of the easternmost point of Vail. For all intents and purposes, then, the cities lie at the same longitude, which is, to be fair, not what I would have expected.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guangdong

Guangdong province has more people than UK, France combined. But Guangdong is as big as Mexico and Japan in terms of population.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan

TXtoNJ

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 13, 2018, 11:45:40 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on February 13, 2018, 10:28:50 PM
El Paso, Texas is further west than Vail, Colorado.

This is true insofar that the westernmost point of El Paso is west of the westernmost point of Vail. But it's also true that the easternmost point of El Paso is east of the easternmost point of Vail. For all intents and purposes, then, the cities lie at the same longitude, which is, to be fair, not what I would have expected.

There are a lot of things about that part of the West that are surprising. For one, it seems strange to me that Albuquerque is closer to Los Angeles than it is to Houston.

Another fun one - the Upper Mississippi is hydrologically a tributary of the Ohio River. The Allegheny-Ohio-Lower Mississippi are together the main stream of the Mississippi River system. On average, the Ohio has a larger flow at Cairo, and can be almost twice as much at times of the year.

The reason we consider the Upper and Lower Mississippi to be one river goes back to the colonial days, particularly after the French and Indian War, where the streams represented a convenient political frontier between Spanish claims in the West and British claims in the East. Furthermore, the Ohio represented another convenient barrier between cold continental climates to the north that lent themselves to small farming establishments, and hot subtropical climates in the south that were more efficiently exploited through plantation slavery.

CNGL-Leudimin

Then we should rename the Ohio the Mississippi, the Mississippi between St. Louis and Cairo IL the Missouri, and the Mississippi upstream of St. Louis something else.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kalvado

Quote from: Takumi on February 14, 2018, 02:49:46 PM
Or, you know, not.
Actually this can become a hot topic. Imagine that instead of being a small town  on barely known tributary of great river you now have a major city on one of biggest rivers in the world - all at a cost of sorting out some old geographical mistakes and changing a few labels on a map?
It can mean a huge economic boost for the area, a new era for entire region!

hotdogPi

Quote from: kalvado on February 14, 2018, 05:10:27 PM
Or, you know, not.
Actually this can become a hot topic. Imagine that instead of being a small town  on barely known tributary of great river you now have a major city on one of biggest rivers in the world - all at a cost of sorting out some old geographical mistakes and changing a few labels on a map?

Then why is Cairo, IL small?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

TXtoNJ

Quote from: 1 on February 14, 2018, 05:12:03 PM
Quote from: kalvado on February 14, 2018, 05:10:27 PM
Or, you know, not.

Then why is Cairo, IL small?

Railroads and the New Madrid earthquake.

empirestate

Quote from: TXtoNJ on February 14, 2018, 10:35:49 AM
Another fun one - the Upper Mississippi is hydrologically a tributary of the Ohio River. The Allegheny-Ohio-Lower Mississippi are together the main stream of the Mississippi River system. On average, the Ohio has a larger flow at Cairo, and can be almost twice as much at times of the year.

See, I always figured they were both tributaries of the Missouri–or is that only the case when they're trying to claim the "longest river" title? :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.