News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 25, 2021, 07:16:23 PM
"Where are you really from" is about the rudest/most racist way of wording it, though. "Where is your family originally from" might be a bit better, or even better, not asking at all because it's none of your business.

I heard a story once about a math teacher at my school who was giving an African-American family a tour. Allegedly she asked where in Africa they were from and they replied "we're from Cincinnati". Even stranger that she did this because she had taught in Senegal for a couple years.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 25, 2021, 07:08:32 PM
My reading of his post is that someone asks where Bruce is from, he says "Snohomish County", and because he's noticeably not Caucasian, they ask "where are you really from" because they're racist, so he says a country from Europe that he has heritage from, which confuses them, because he doesn't look like he's from there either.

This is all conjecture at this point, but I took it that the reference European ancestry came first. To me, "Where are you really from?" is the type of response you'd give if you genuinely don't believe the answer or think the person is joking, which is why I doubt it would follow directly from "Snohomish County" or whatever.

"Where are you really from" is about the rudest/most racist way of wording it, though. "Where is your family originally from" might be a bit better, or even better, not asking at all because it's none of your business.

Or, if you really need to know for some reason, "where are your ancestors from?"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 25, 2021, 08:05:26 PM

I heard a story once about a math teacher at my school who was giving an African-American family a tour. Allegedly she asked where in Africa they were from and they replied "we're from Cincinnati". Even stranger that she did this because she had taught in Senegal for a couple years.
Most African-Americans don't know where in Africa they come from.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SP Cook

We know nothing about Africa, although our roots are there in terms of our forbearers. But I mean as far as the average Negro today, he knows nothing about Africa. And I think he's got to face the fact that he is an American, his culture is basically American, and one becomes adjusted to this when he realizes what, what he is.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

--

As to the "where are you from" deal, around Charleston, there is a big community of Arab descended people.  They are Orthodox Christians, in fact the cathedral for the religion, Saint George Antiochian Orthodox Christian Cathedral, is in town.  I have a lot of friends and co-workers from that community.  Beautiful services, BTW.

People around Charleston get it, but outside of the region, there are three really demeaning and ignorant things that happen, all three are automatic ways to piss them off:

- People call them "Greek Orthodox". 
- People, and this can happen from the "left" or "right" will suggest they are not "Caucasian". 

And the big one, which can also happen from the "left" or "right",

- People will assume they are Islamic.  Had a good friend, lefty professor told her that she had her back, and to report any "anti-Muslim" things to her.  She just let it go, but I know it hurt her feelings.  I also knew her grandfather, who immigrated here to escape religious persecution BY Muslims.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SP Cook on April 26, 2021, 11:21:47 AM
We know nothing about Africa, although our roots are there in terms of our forbearers. But I mean as far as the average Negro today, he knows nothing about Africa. And I think he's got to face the fact that he is an American, his culture is basically American, and one becomes adjusted to this when he realizes what, what he is.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

--

As to the "where are you from" deal, around Charleston, there is a big community of Arab descended people.  They are Orthodox Christians, in fact the cathedral for the religion, Saint George Antiochian Orthodox Christian Cathedral, is in town.  I have a lot of friends and co-workers from that community.  Beautiful services, BTW.

People around Charleston get it, but outside of the region, there are three really demeaning and ignorant things that happen, all three are automatic ways to piss them off:

- People call them "Greek Orthodox". 
- People, and this can happen from the "left" or "right" will suggest they are not "Caucasian". 

And the big one, which can also happen from the "left" or "right",

- People will assume they are Islamic.  Had a good friend, lefty professor told her that she had her back, and to report any "anti-Muslim" things to her.  She just let it go, but I know it hurt her feelings.  I also knew her grandfather, who immigrated here to escape religious persecution BY Muslims.
Never assume someone's religion.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

empirestate

Quote from: andrepoiy on April 25, 2021, 05:38:29 PM
Here's something you probably didn't expect:

Ontario has no land border crossings with the United States; every crossing from Ontario to the US involves a bridge or ferry.

...or tunnel. I guess the surprising part of this one is that Ontario has no land borders with the U.S (crossing or no).

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 25, 2021, 07:10:28 PM
I wouldn't call that racist necessarily, more ignorant.

Racism is often the result of ignorance.

andrepoiy

Quote from: empirestate on April 26, 2021, 12:43:11 PM

Ontario has no land border crossings with the United States; every crossing from Ontario to the US involves a bridge or ferry.

...or tunnel. I guess the surprising part of this one is that Ontario has no land borders with the U.S (crossing or no).

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 25, 2021, 07:10:28 PM
I wouldn't call that racist necessarily, more ignorant.

Racism is often the result of ignorance.

My mistake, phrased that wrong. And also forgot about the Detroit tunnel.

webny99

Quote from: empirestate on April 26, 2021, 12:43:11 PM

Also, what makes it even more unique is that the immediately adjacent portions of both Manitoba and Quebec do have a land border with the US.

CoreySamson

Not necessarily geographical, but I didn't know Calgary and Edmonton were so large in regards to population until a couple months ago. I always thought they were more like the size of Saskatoon or Halifax.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 09:40:00 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 25, 2021, 08:05:26 PM

Most African-Americans don't know where in Africa they come from.

Of course that is through no fault of their own, having been kidnapped from Africa and sent on ships to North America, then sold into slavery with little or no record keeping.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: empirestate on April 26, 2021, 12:43:11 PMI guess the surprising part of this one is that Ontario has no land borders with the U.S (crossing or no).

Except that it has a very short dry border at the Height of Land Portage, where it crosses the Laurentian Divide. In fact when they first drew the border they were unaware it crossed that divide (and thus they didn't realize going West from the Lake of the Woods they wouldn't hit the Mississippi), eventually leading to the creation of the Angle Inlet. Even more surprising is that, from that point on, water flows towards the Lake of the Woods (and eventually Hudson Bay), as opposed to the long-standing belief that water flows from the Lake of the Woods to Lake Superior.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

empirestate

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 26, 2021, 02:31:55 PM
Quote from: empirestate on April 26, 2021, 12:43:11 PMI guess the surprising part of this one is that Ontario has no land borders with the U.S (crossing or no).

Except that it has a very short dry border at the Height of Land Portage, where it crosses the Laurentian Divide. In fact when they first drew the border they were unaware it crossed that divide (and thus they didn't realize going West from the Lake of the Woods they wouldn't hit the Mississippi), eventually leading to the creation of the Angle Inlet. Even more surprising is that, from that point on, water flows towards the Lake of the Woods (and eventually Hudson Bay), as opposed to the long-standing belief that water flows from the Lake of the Woods to Lake Superior.

Ah, there it is. I figured there must be some tiny stretch along the way, but I didn't go into full zoom detail when checking. But the "conventional wisdom" would probably be that Ontario has a substantial land boundary with Minnesota, with only the Great Lakes portion of the border comprising mainly water boundaries.

vdeane

If that's the conventional wisdom, then by conventional wisdom I-81's crossing over the International Rift between Wellesley Island and Hill Island is also a "land" boundary.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 25, 2021, 07:08:32 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 25, 2021, 07:05:47 PM
Quote from: Bruce on April 25, 2021, 04:09:54 PM
"Where are you really from" is a rude question I get occasionally, being a foreign-looking person.

I refer to my European ancestry first to trip them up.

If you're doing it intentionally to trip them up, how could you call the response "rude"?

My reading of his post is that someone asks where Bruce is from, he says "Snohomish County", and because he's noticeably not Caucasian, they ask "where are you really from" because they're racist, so he says a country from Europe that he has heritage from, which confuses them, because he doesn't look like he's from there either.

Exactly this.

Asian people are seen as perpetual foreigners even if they've lived for generations in the U.S., which is why this is classified as a microagression at the very least.

I've never been across the Pacific, and have only called Washington home my entire life, so I'm only "from" here. Heck, one side of my family came to the Northwest before Washington had earned statehood.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on April 26, 2021, 09:55:38 PM
If that's the conventional wisdom, then by conventional wisdom I-81's crossing over the International Rift between Wellesley Island and Hill Island is also a "land" boundary.

Maybe, I guess it would depend if you consider the waterways between the Great Lakes, or only the lakes themselves. The Niagara crossing would be similarly "land" boundaries. In fact, there is the most minuscule sliver of land crossing the boundary at the tip of Goat Island, placing the Horseshoe Falls entirely within Canada.

kphoger

Not everything is about race, of course.

If you move across the street from me and have a Southern accent, then I'm going to ask where you're originally from.  If you move across the street from me and have a Mexican accent, then I'm going to ask where you're originally from.

I usually just ask people if they're originally from Wichita.  Then they can tell me as much or as little as they want.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

In today's chapter of "things getting straightened up": Italy. It is often though the Italian boot as going due North-South, while it actually goes Northwest-Southeast. Termoli, an Adriatic coastal resort town in the nonexistent (or at least said so xD) region of Molise across the boot from Naples, is actually sightly further North than Rome.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Dirt Roads

It's well known that I-40 from Raleigh to Wilmington is almost due south.  But I-40 from the split near Hillsborough runs mostly southeast as well, except for the section around the southern part of the Raleigh Beltline.  That got me wondering about any local geographic oddities.  Sure enough, the geographic center of North Carolina (depending on which one you consider) is pretty much due north of Charleston, South Carolina.

Charleston SC - 79W 56o
(traditional) near Goldston in Chatham County NC - 79W 27o
(geosat calculation) near Star, Montgomery County NC - 79W 49o
(local folklore) atop Purgatory Mountain, Randolph County NC - 79W 76o

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 07, 2021, 09:31:58 AM
It's well known that I-40 from Raleigh to Wilmington is almost due south.  But I-40 from the split near Hillsborough runs mostly southeast as well, except for the section around the southern part of the Raleigh Beltline.  That got me wondering about any local geographic oddities.  Sure enough, the geographic center of North Carolina (depending on which one you consider) is pretty much due north of Charleston, South Carolina.

Charleston SC - 79W 56o
(traditional) near Goldston in Chatham County NC - 79W 27o
(geosat calculation) near Star, Montgomery County NC - 79W 49o
(local folklore) atop Purgatory Mountain, Randolph County NC - 79W 76o
The east coast really curves in the Carolinas.

dkblake

Less physical geography than human geography, but: if you made a list of the largest city in the world that begins with each letter of the alphabet as transliterated in English, two of the cities on that list would be from western Canada: Edmonton and Vancouver. This is more than would be from the US (NYC), South America (Rio), or Europe (Paris).
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: dkblake on May 09, 2021, 10:19:15 PM
Less physical geography than human geography, but: if you made a list of the largest city in the world that begins with each letter of the alphabet as transliterated in English, two of the cities on that list would be from western Canada: Edmonton and Vancouver. This is more than would be from the US (NYC), South America (Rio), or Europe (Paris).
E surprises me.

SkyPesos

I'll type a list out here for reference, and to see how many are from China or India. Numbers from these two sites.

A - Ahmedabad (7.7m, Asia, India)
B - Beijing (19.6m, Asia, China)
C - Cairo (20m, Africa, Egypt)
D - Delhi (28.5m, Asia, India)
E - Edmonton (1.4m, N America, Canada)
F - Foshan (7.2m, Asia, China)
G - Guangzhou (12.6m, Asia, China)
H - Hyderabad (9.5m, Asia, India)
I - Istanbul (14.8m, Europe/Asia, Turkey)
J - Jakarta (10.5m, Asia, Indonesia)
K - Karachi (15.4m, Asia, Pakistan)
L - Lagos (13.5m, Africa, Nigeria)
M - Mexico City (21.6m, N America, Mexico)
N - NYC (18.8m, N America, US)
O - Osaka (19.2m, Asia, Japan)
P - Paris (10.9m, Europe, France)
Q - Qingdao (5.4m, Asia, China)
R - Rio (13.3m, S America, Brazil)
S - Shanghai (25.6m, Asia, China)
T - Tokyo (37.4m, Asia, Japan)
U - Urumqi (4m, Asia, China)
V - Vancouver (2.5m, N America, Canada)
W - Wuhan (8.2m, Asia, China)
X - Xi'an (7.4m, Asia, China)
Y - Yangon (5.2m, Asia, Myanmar)
Z - Zhengzhou (4.9m, Asia, China)

So there are 9 in China and 3 in India. Good to know

andrepoiy

Scott5114

I don't think it's legit to include cities that don't use the Latin alphabet in their native language.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Road Hog

I figured Vienna would nose out Vancouver. But in the native Swiss German language, Vienna is called Wien. The home of wieners and Wiener schnitzel.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.