News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Swamp Bridges on I-75 in Florida

Started by CtrlAltDel, August 08, 2022, 11:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

I've been compiling a list of memories from my childhood trips from Chicago to Florida, which would use I-75 from Chattanooga to the Tampa area. One of the things that I remember was a long bridge similar to the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge on I-10 in Louisiana in that it was long, it was not particularly high off the ground, and that some of the piers were slanted.

I've been examining Google Maps, looking for something similar, and the best I can find is this, but at less than a mile, it doesn't seem long enough to me, although that could be a distortion caused by time.

I'm wondering if there might be any other bridges that might be what I'm remembering but have overlooked. Does anyone know offhand? I suppose they could also be in southern Georgia, but they would definitely be on I-75.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

amroad17

Did you travel all the way to Tampa?  Before 1973, I-75 was routed along what is now I-275 from Wesley Chapel to at least St. Petersburg.  The only long bridge you are speaking of along I-75 (now I-275) is the near 5 mile long Howard Frankland Bridge. Could this be the bridge you are thinking of?

Looking at Google Maps and GSV, there really is not a long bridge--especially similar to the length of the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge--along I-75 between Chattanooga and Tampa.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

wriddle082

There's a decent-length straight bridge just north of Exit 321 in Lake Panasoffkee, which is right before the first exit south of the Florida's Turnpike split.  That bridge may only be about a mile long, but it felt longer prior to it being widened.

amroad17

^ I believe that is the bridge that CtrlAltDel is speaking of in his post.

formulanone

The only other longer briges I can think of in Florida are in The Keys, but that's far from the Tampa area. Possibly I-295 for the crossing of the St. Johns River, but that's also out of the way.

Another comparatively long bridge would be I-10 over the Apalachicola River, which is not near I-75, but from an "I-65 towards I-75" routing. 

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: amroad17 on August 09, 2022, 01:09:26 AM
Did you travel all the way to Tampa?  Before 1973, I-75 was routed along what is now I-275 from Wesley Chapel to at least St. Petersburg.  The only long bridge you are speaking of along I-75 (now I-275) is the near 5 mile long Howard Frankland Bridge. Could this be the bridge you are thinking of?

Looking at Google Maps and GSV, there really is not a long bridge--especially similar to the length of the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge--along I-75 between Chattanooga and Tampa.

The trip actually went all the way past Tampa to Bradenton, and my dad did like to take the Sunshine Skyway Bridge whenever the traffic was low enough, so both I-75 and I-275 are definitely possibilities. I don't think that the bridge I'm remembering is either the Sunshine Skyway or the Howard Frankland, though, since I remember being surrounded by trees and such.

Quote from: formulanone on August 09, 2022, 06:06:45 AM
The only other longer briges I can think of in Florida are in The Keys, but that's far from the Tampa area. Possibly I-295 for the crossing of the St. Johns River, but that's also out of the way.

Another comparatively long bridge would be I-10 over the Apalachicola River, which is not near I-75, but from an "I-65 towards I-75" routing.

These are, as you point out, a bit out of the way. I remember that, as the navigator of these trips (even if my parents may have been humoring me), the route was always 65 to 24 to 75.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: wriddle082 on August 09, 2022, 01:41:52 AM
There's a decent-length straight bridge just north of Exit 321 in Lake Panasoffkee, which is right before the first exit south of the Florida's Turnpike split.  That bridge may only be about a mile long, but it felt longer prior to it being widened.

Quote from: roadman65 on August 09, 2022, 10:55:58 AM
It's got to Lake Panasofkee.

That's my conclusion as well. Thanks to everyone for letting me pick your brains, though.

amroad17

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 09, 2022, 02:22:28 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on August 09, 2022, 01:41:52 AM

Quote from: roadman65 on August 09, 2022, 10:55:58 AM
It's got to Lake Panasofkee.

That's my conclusion as well. Thanks to everyone for letting me pick your brains, though.
Not a problem!  :thumbsup:

Alex

As was already concluded in the preceding posts, I immediately thought of the Florida Veteran' Memorial Bridge over Panasoffkee Creek in Sumter County.

The span was previously separate bridges, and only combined to one in 2002:

You can see where the northbound bridge was expanded.

jdb1234

^^^

Also, the bridges was notorious for having no shoulders at all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.