News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by J N Winkler - Today at 03:01:48 PM
I suspect the harbor pilot and his apprentice are still on board, possibly because they are operating under maritime law that does not give them the legal ability to step away even though the boat has been stuck, clearly unable to move, for over six weeks now.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Why I-5's most popular sto...
Last post by SeriesE - Today at 02:47:04 PM
I only get off at that exit southbound because the Coalinga-Avenal rest area was closed to use the restroom, and it used to be so crowded that it's hard to find a parking spot.

(My car is fuel efficient enough with a decent sized tank that I can drive 450+ miles without refueling so I never had to get gas in the middle)
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Indiana Notes
Last post by Great Lakes Roads - Today at 02:46:35 PM
Quote from: cjw2001 on Today at 01:29:13 PMJust spent a little time watching the Washington Street ramp at I465 traffic camera to see how the new ramp metering is doing.  Have to say the drivers are more clueless than I expected.  Some ignore the light and drive right through and some are stopping far in advance of the red light so that the signal doesn't detect their presence and doesn't give them a green.  Eventually the sensors further down the ramp detect the backup and let everyone through to clear the ramp.  Not a good start.

Just watched a few minutes of the ramp meters being activated, and people are so dumb that it backed the traffic to the intersection... Kinda knew that it was going to be a s**t storm when activated!
Traffic Control / Re: 1-2-3 Route number Additio...
Last post by formulanone - Today at 02:26:27 PM
1489 = 745 + 744 in DeKalb County, Alabama:

Quote from: paulthemapguy on Today at 10:00:18 AMMaybe people can meet at Dogfish Head's HQ in Milton at some point ::bigass:: I enjoyed myself there last month.

While I agree with the sentiment that DE-404 could be a US route (US450?) it's currently only a state highway  :-P

Turn MD/DE 404 into US 50N, and redesignate 50 from Wye Mills to Ocean City as US 50S.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Indiana Notes
Last post by cjw2001 - Today at 01:29:13 PM
Just spent a little time watching the Washington Street ramp at I465 traffic camera to see how the new ramp metering is doing.  Have to say the drivers are more clueless than I expected.  Some ignore the light and drive right through and some are stopping far in advance of the red light so that the signal doesn't detect their presence and doesn't give them a green.  Eventually the sensors further down the ramp detect the backup and let everyone through to clear the ramp.  Not a good start.

Northeast / Re: Massachusetts
Last post by Ted$8roadFan - Today at 01:22:16 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on Today at 11:54:47 AMMassDOT is holding a public meeting on May 15 about improvements to I-95 (128) North in Reading. Unfortunately, it is not about improving the I-93 interchange but adding 2 lanes from I-93 to MA 28 and one lane from MA 28 to North Avenue:
https://www.mass.gov/event/readingstonehamwakefield-proposed-i-95-nb-improvements-2024-05-15t183000-0400-2024-05-15t193000-0400

About time.
General Highway Talk / Re: Beltways That Work, and Be...
Last post by Bobby5280 - Today at 01:18:20 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplexI disagree entirely. What's a couple extra minutes if it means avoiding the stress and annoyance of fighting Nashville traffic?  Usually don't even have to tap off the cruise on 840.  Meanwhile, the 24/40 concurrency is always jammed up and aggravating as everyone has to change lanes.

The I-40/I-65/I-24 "mixmaster" isn't -always- jammed up. Certainly I wouldn't advise anyone on a road trip to go through there during the morning rush. At other times I-40 thru there isn't as bad what I've seen in other cities (such as Dallas or Houston) during off-peak times. The I-440 loop isn't very long yet it's a decent bypass for downtown Nashville. The TN-155 loop can be a decent way to make connections between I-40, I-24 and I-65 while avoiding downtown.

I-840 is 77 1/4 miles long. It adds 18 miles to a trip versus staying on I-40 straight thru the Nashville metro. If I was on a road trip thru Tennessee and happened to be going near Nashville during the morning or late afternoon rush I might consider taking I-840. That hasn't been the case the all the previous times I've made that long drive on I-40.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.