News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Texas posting 85 mph limits

Started by deathtopumpkins, June 07, 2012, 10:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Don't think this has popped up on here yet...
http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20120607-texas-considers-85-mph-speed-limit-on-toll-road.ece

Apparently TxDOT is planning to post an 85 mph speed limit on a new section of SH 130 between Austin and Seguin.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

NE2

I hope they do it on Spur 366.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on June 08, 2012, 12:14:08 AM
I hope they do it on Spur 366.
I searched for the Like or +1 button.

SP Cook

Great news.  Safe and fast, with police diverted to actual work.

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

codyg1985

I actually think that if toll roads allowed for higher speeds than interstates, such as this one, then it would make people warm up to toll roads more. I would be willing to pay a little bit to be able to drive faster.

Then again, building a road with a higher design speed would cost more, too.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

austrini

I drove SH 130 on Friday, and it was still 80 mph. One thing I noticed is that I almost kept hitting birds, and ended up driving over a few dead pigeons or mockingbirds or something. I wonder if they cant get out of the way fast enough.

AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

bugo

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 14, 2012, 08:03:30 AM
I actually think that if toll roads allowed for higher speeds than interstates, such as this one, then it would make people warm up to toll roads more. I would be willing to pay a little bit to be able to drive faster.

This is the policy of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority.  Speed limits on turnpikes are 75 while they're 70 on interstates.

Most of the Oklahoma turnpikes are built to early '50s standards.  I have no idea what the design speed is (does anybody know?) but I would guess it's not much more than 75, especially on the Turner Turnpike.

Alex

Quote from: bugo on July 09, 2012, 11:42:47 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on June 14, 2012, 08:03:30 AM

This is the policy of the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority.  Speed limits on turnpikes are 75 while they're 70 on interstates.

Most of the Oklahoma turnpikes are built to early '50s standards.  I have no idea what the design speed is (does anybody know?) but I would guess it's not much more than 75, especially on the Turner Turnpike.

The 75 mph speed limit on the Oklahoma Turnpikes, at the least the I-44 ones in which I have rode, are easily doable because of the long distances between exits and long straight aways.

I agree with Cody on the point that, if toll roads allowed for higher speed limits, it would add to their appeal and perhaps their draw. There should be a perk for choosing the toll road over the free alternative such as the case for SH 130.

As for Justin's comment about hitting birds, nowhere else have I been where the birds fly so stupidly low than in Texas (especially west Texas). With 70 mph speed limits on two lane FM and RM roads, we came close to hitting them at least 100 times over in May.

rte66man

???? Only the Turner and Will Rogers were built in the 50's. The next pike was the HE Bailey, which didn't open until 64/65.  Indian Nation from Henryetta to McAlester around 68 with the rest in the 70's. Cimarron in the 70's IIRC.  The others were built in the 90's.

The dirt berms in the median of the Turner and Rogers as well as most of the Bailey were replaced with full Jersey barriers.  No sharp curves on any of those. 80 would be reasonable as most people drive that speed anyway.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

Quote from: rte66man on July 09, 2012, 12:09:16 PM

???? Only the Turner and Will Rogers were built in the 50's. The next pike was the HE Bailey, which didn't open until 64/65.  Indian Nation from Henryetta to McAlester around 68 with the rest in the 70's. Cimarron in the 70's IIRC.  The others were built in the 90's.

They were built in the '60s and '70s, but they used early '50s design standards.  They never bothered to update them until they built the Cherokee and the urban loop turnpikes.  That's why the turnpikes are built on one carriageway, and are so narrow.  The Turner is especially bad as it has lots of small hills and there's a lot of truck traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.