News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on August 10, 2021, 02:52:03 PM
Things at work that require you to use a personal something-or-other.  For example, needing an e-mail address other than your work address when setting up an account on a program you use.  Or needing a two-factor authentication app but your company doesn't provide cell phones.

I tend to flatly refuse to use my personal stuff for work purposes, simply because I only get paid so much, and if the company wants something done they can pay their own money for it. My wife was a lot more liberal about it at her last job, bringing in all sorts of doodads for work (crate to put her feet up on, space heater, fancy Post-Its and pens, etc.) Then they randomly fired her and had a security guard walk her out, and she never got the chance to collect all of that stuff. She's a lot less enthusiastic about bringing things in to her current job.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 11, 2021, 01:29:22 PM

Quote from: kphoger on August 10, 2021, 02:52:03 PM
Things at work that require you to use a personal something-or-other.  For example, needing an e-mail address other than your work address when setting up an account on a program you use.  Or needing a two-factor authentication app but your company doesn't provide cell phones.

I tend to flatly refuse to use my personal stuff for work purposes, simply because I only get paid so much, and if the company wants something done they can pay their own money for it. My wife was a lot more liberal about it at her last job, bringing in all sorts of doodads for work (crate to put her feet up on, space heater, fancy Post-Its and pens, etc.) Then they randomly fired her and had a security guard walk her out, and she never got the chance to collect all of that stuff. She's a lot less enthusiastic about bringing things in to her current job.

When my boss was unexpectedly fired a while ago, he was fortunate enough that his wife still works in the same office space.  Besides which, so do I, and I know where their house is.

Then again, I work in a small enough business that, if I suddenly lost my job like that, I could still probably just come in after hours with some higher-up watching over me till I gathered my things.

Honestly, what I'd be most unhappy about are all the personal files I've saved to the hard drive.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Most employers will pack up personal items and ship them to a fired employee. They don't very well have a legitimate ground for just saying, "You're gone and you lose any stuff you had here." Of course, stuff like office supplies are a lot less clear than things like space heaters.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 11, 2021, 02:40:08 PM
Most employers will pack up personal items and ship them to a fired employee. They don't very well have a legitimate ground for just saying, "You're gone and you lose any stuff you had here." Of course, stuff like office supplies are a lot less clear than things like space heaters.

Yeah, but the problem is, what are you going to do if they don't, take them to small claims court? Is the sort of person who'd bring a space heater to work and leave it there the sort of person to keep the receipt to justify the amount of damages in case the company keeps it? Or would you try to call the cops and report it as theft?

Then, in my wife's case, the employer that fired her is owned by a tribal government and she is a citizen of that same tribe, so McGirt v. Oklahoma probably applies in some as-yet-undefined way (and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even the lawyers are still trying to wrap their head around what McGirt means since there's no case law stemming from it yet), so the case would probably have to take place in tribal court instead of state small claims court, which means that the court is ran by the same entity that she's suing, and the relevant law enforcement agency would also be the tribal police, so...

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 05, 2021, 03:48:47 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 05, 2021, 02:33:46 PM
Some people have to be told that peanut butter contains peanuts, so there you go.

With that, I can at least imagine a person thinking peanut butter is only artificially peanut-flavored.

But someone buying a package of peanuts, on the other hand...

Well, that's just nuts.

Well, in the case of soft serve ice cream, you could actually say it "contains dairy" , not as a warning, but as a marketing tool! That's because most ice cream from fast food restaurants doesn't contain dairy, as I found out from a friend with serious dairy allergies who can eat McDonalds ice cream just fine!

formulanone

Quote from: webny99 on August 11, 2021, 03:07:57 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 05, 2021, 03:48:47 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 05, 2021, 02:33:46 PM
Some people have to be told that peanut butter contains peanuts, so there you go.

With that, I can at least imagine a person thinking peanut butter is only artificially peanut-flavored.

But someone buying a package of peanuts, on the other hand...

Well, that's just nuts.

Well, in the case of soft serve ice cream, you could actually say it "contains dairy" , not as a warning, but as a marketing tool! That's because most ice cream from fast food restaurants doesn't contain dairy, as I found out from a friend with serious dairy allergies who can eat McDonalds ice cream just fine!

Roadgeekteen

When sites use random acronyms that you don't know the meaning of.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 11, 2021, 04:41:34 PM

BGS
FYA
TOTSO
SPUI
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

CNGL-Leudimin

For what it's worth, it took me a while to decipher what "FWIW" and a few others meant.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 11, 2021, 04:46:25 PM
For what it's worth, it took me a while to decipher what "FWIW" and a few others meant.

AFAIK
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Then there's FAP 420, which is actually road-related and has nothing to do with either of its components.
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2021, 04:43:44 PM

BGS
FYA
TOTSO
SPUI
These are ok, I'm more talking about obscure ones that you can't google.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 11, 2021, 04:49:55 PM

Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2021, 04:43:44 PM

BGS
FYA
TOTSO
SPUI

These are ok, I'm more talking about obscure ones that you can't google.

Have you tried Googling to find out what BGS or FYA means?  It doesn't exactly pop out at you.
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

I get annoyed when people making presentations at work use acronyms and initialisms and they expect you to know what they're talking about.  Because they work with it every day, they know it and assume everyone else knows it too.

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on August 11, 2021, 05:05:57 PM
I get annoyed when people making presentations at work use acronyms and initialisms and they expect you to know what they're talking about.  Because they work with it every day, they know it and assume everyone else knows it too.

My wife and I know a lot of teachers, and they throw around school-related acronyms and initialisms all the time as if we know what they're talking about.  I'm sure everyone employed in the district knows what they mean, but that doesn't mean I do.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on August 11, 2021, 04:56:33 PMHave you tried Googling to find out what BGS or FYA means?  It doesn't exactly pop out at you.

Adding "roads" seems to help--the top Google result for each of {BGS roads} and {FYA roads} is relevant.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

People who drop F-bombs in work presentations without knowing their audience. (Or, really, go on cursing sprees in public in general).

Not only is it unprofessional, but you never know who might be offended.

I attended a meeting a few years ago during which one of the presenters to a small group dropped an F-bomb. Half the audience was female, there were several devoutly religious people in the room, one ordained minister and one lay minister. I thought it was terribly inappropriate.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: hbelkins on August 12, 2021, 10:57:12 AM
People who drop F-bombs in work presentations without knowing their audience. (Or, really, go on cursing sprees in public in general).

I attended a meeting a few years ago during which one of the presenters to a small group dropped an F-bomb. Half the audience was female, there were several devoutly religious people in the room, one ordained minister and one lay minister. I thought it was terribly inappropriate.

There is a tremendous amount of open cursing (particularly F-bombing) in society now.  It makes me sad.  A lot of it has to do with so many entertainment platforms with no censoring regulations.  F-bombs are now everywhere to everyone, including young children.  Between TikTok and streaming shows, it's common place, causing everyone to have no filter.  Yes, those words were always there years ago, but because of large amounts of censorship and down right better manners, people would save the inappropriate words for situations where there were only 1 or 2 adults in a room.  It drives me crazy that so many of these stupid TikTok videos the girls in my house love to watch have so many F-bombs in them.  What happened to society? Cursing used to be something that had an effect only because it was used sparingly.  Now it just comes off as oafishly rude. 

Scott5114

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 12, 2021, 12:57:37 PM
What happened to society?

They realized it's a word that's not really any different than any other word?

Max Rockatansky

I really haven't noticed a day to day change in the amount of swearing.  The main difference is now that it is just accepted as part of the normal routine on media platforms. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 12, 2021, 12:57:37 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 12, 2021, 10:57:12 AM

There is a tremendous amount of open cursing (particularly F-bombing) in society now.  It makes me sad.  A lot of it has to do with so many entertainment platforms with no censoring regulations.  F-bombs are now everywhere to everyone, including young children.  Between TikTok and streaming shows, it's common place, causing everyone to have no filter.  Yes, those words were always there years ago, but because of large amounts of censorship and down right better manners, people would save the inappropriate words for situations where there were only 1 or 2 adults in a room.  It drives me crazy that so many of these stupid TikTok videos the girls in my house love to watch have so many F-bombs in them.  What happened to society? Cursing used to be something that had an effect only because it was used sparingly.  Now it just comes off as oafishly rude.
Society is becoming less sensitive to swearing.

jmacswimmer

My take on swearing is that the words are only taboo because we as a society evidently decided they must be.

That said, I am aware enough to not swear in a professional setting like hbelkins was getting at, and I also try not to overdo it (as an example, using the f-bomb as an adjective multiple times in one sentence is definitely overkill).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 12, 2021, 01:22:23 PM
I really haven't noticed a day to day change in the amount of swearing.  The main difference is now that it is just accepted as part of the normal routine on media platforms. 

I've also noticed that high school aged kids no longer feel any need to watch their language in mixed company.  They used to.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

What I don't understand is how some people will constantly spew profanities, like every third word, yet if someone else curses at them or gives them the finger, they go absolutely ballistic claiming to be mortally offended by it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.