News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstates on Islands

Started by dbz77, July 09, 2022, 03:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbz77

Which interstates traverse islands? I know that H-1, H-2, and H-3 are in  Oahu, I-95 crosses the northern part of Manhattan island in New York, and part of I-710 is in Terminal island in California.

oscar

Also H-201. And unsigned PRI-1, -2, and -3 in Puerto Rico.

Part of I-190 in New York traverses Grand Island, NW of Buffalo.

Part of I-90 in Washington state traverses Mercer Island near Seattle.

I-195 in Florida ends in Miami Beach, which is at least technically mostly on an island (more technically than Grand and Mercer islands, with only narrow waterways cutting it off from the mainland).

There are undoubtedly others.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

GaryV

A bit of I-75 in Sault Ste Marie is on an island formed by the hydro power canal.

Molandfreak

I-90 also has an exit on French Island west of La Crosse, WI.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

froggie

Staten Island, NY

Long Island, NY (which from a geography perspective also includes Brooklyn and Queens)

Because of the Tidal Basin and Washington Channel, Potomac Park (DC) is technically an island so I-395.

I-10 across Mobile Bay (AL)

I-5 on Hayden Island in Portland, OR

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

I-80, Yerba Buena Island, CA
I-90, Mercer Island, WA
I-66, Theodore Roosevelt Island, DC

And yes, anything on Manhattan or Long Island or Staten Island. That's I-95, I-78, I-295, I-495, I-278, I-678, and unsigned I-478 and I-878.

CtrlAltDel

I don't know if this counts, since there's a causeway, but I-24 in TN near Chattanooga:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

webny99

Since a lot of the obvious ones have been mentioned - not sure how granular we want to get but there are plenty of uninhabited island crossings, such as I-76 and I-81 where they cross the Susquehanna near Harrisburg.

RobbieL2415

I-190 over Grand Island, NY

Ga293

Interstate 95 crosses several in Georgia, two of which are permanently inhabited.

SP Cook

Not one very many would guess, but I-70 uses Wheeling Island to cross the Ohio, and has an exit, one of the few Exit 0 in the system, on it.  Well, half an exit.

CoreySamson

The only Texas examples I know of:

- I-45 ends on Galveston Island
- I-10 technically travels over an island while crossing Old River Lake near Cove
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Mapmikey

Crown Victoria

I-79 Neville Island

I-76 Fourteen Mile Island (Allegheny River)

I-80 crosses over an island while crossing the Delaware River between PA and NJ.

jp the roadgeek

I-278 on Randall's Island.

I-95 in Manhattan (as well as the western tip of I-495, silent I-478 at the north end of the Battery Park Tunnel, and I-78 at the east end of the Holland Tunnel)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

MATraveler128

I-275 in Florida traverses some islands as it crosses Tampa Bay.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

SkyPesos

I-270 Choteau Island (between Mississippi River and Chain of Rocks Canal)

bing101

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highways_in_Puerto_Rico

There are interstates in Puerto Rico with the I-PR1, I-PR2 and I-PR3 on the Island

GenExpwy

The man-made islands on the bridge/tunnel crossings on I-64 and I-664, Hampton Roads VA.

mgk920

Quote from: GaryV on July 09, 2022, 03:44:47 PM
A bit of I-75 in Sault Ste Marie is on an island formed by the hydro power canal.

I-75 ends where the concrete median wall ends just south of the bridge tollgate.  It does not reach any of the water.

Mike

ilpt4u

Would I-10 on the east side of New Orleans count? It appears water-locked on the map.

Never been to NOLA so no first hand experience

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: mgk920 on July 10, 2022, 11:18:00 AM
Quote from: GaryV on July 09, 2022, 03:44:47 PM

I-75 ends where the concrete median wall ends just south of the bridge tollgate.  It does not reach any of the water.

The Wikipedia article has this to say:
The sign assembly erected by MDOT indicates that I-75 ends just south of the toll and customs plaza for the International Bridge,[25] however according to MDOT's Physical Reference Finder Application online[2] and the Federal Highway Administration's Route Log and Finder List,[26] I-75 continues onto the International Bridge and ends at the international border in the middle of the St. Marys River.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

andrepoiy

All of Montreal and Laval for Quebec.

Bruce

I-5 crosses three islands in the Snohomish River Delta between Everett and Marysville.

I-5 also crosses Hayden Island in northern Portland, while I-205 crosses Government Island.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.